Author Topic: LA County school shooting  (Read 4111 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: LA County school shooting
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2019, 06:48:12 AM »
Except that the statement quoted is incorrect. You can but most of the parts needed to make a gun, but the receiver is legally a "firearm" and you can't buy a completed receiver except by going through an FFL just as you would for a complete firearm.

You can buy unfinished receivers, but generally those require machining -- at least for handguns. I'm only familiar with 1911s -- I'm sure there must be unfinished Glock receivers, how much work is needed to complete those?

But the gun was a .45, and apparently only held six or seven rounds. My initial thought was "1911," but it seemed unlikely (not impossible) that a fifteen year old kid would have built a 1911 "ghost gun." And then there's this, from the MSN link:

According to the instructions you are supposed to complete a Polymer 80 Glock in a mill or drill press.  I did mine in a mini-mill.  With some care you could do it with a drill and a Dremel.

You have to drill two holes in the frame, cut out two small square sections of the "slide rails" where the steel insert sits for the slide to ride on, and make a (I think) 3/8" radius cut in the dust cover area for the spring/guide rod assembly to sit in.  IMO this is where it goes bad, because if you take too much the guide rod can slip down and lock up the slide, and if you don't take enough the guide rod won't sit low enough for the barrel to tilt and the pistol won't function.

Regardless, it's not super complicated, and the kits come with pretty clear instructions, and the bits needed.

A 80% 1911 either needs machine tools, or several hundred dollars worth of special cutters and jigs.  You need to drill the hammer and sear pin holes in the right place, cut the barrel seat with a ball nose cutter, and cut the slide rails.  The rails need to be reasonably close to straight and parallel. And obviously, unlike the Glock you are cutting all of that in steel or aluminum, rather than plastic.

Neither pistol is a particularly complicated machine for anyone with some machine tool and fabrication experience.

ETA: For added pearl clutching, you can actually buy the steel parts, and 3d print the required polymer parts of a Glock. :O :O

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2019, 10:27:20 AM »
Along similar lines but not something that is going to get wide spread MSM coverage.

Criminal shooter brought down by legally armed citizens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=8rxpgHl_Pg4&fbclid=IwAR1Zi67406ZkTiYMEwips6uh8dT3I3vcTm89NScRnM37xp7JVifZViZYC-Y&app=desktop
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2019, 10:30:05 AM »
Along similar lines but not something that is going to get wide spread MSM coverage.

Criminal shooter brought down by legally armed citizens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=8rxpgHl_Pg4&fbclid=IwAR1Zi67406ZkTiYMEwips6uh8dT3I3vcTm89NScRnM37xp7JVifZViZYC-Y&app=desktop

Narrative violations will be filtered out
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2019, 01:28:56 PM »
Narrative violations will be filtered out
That incident happened over a year ago.  This is the first I've heard of it.  Apparently Fox is the only one who reported it.
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2019, 06:37:34 AM »
Says reported to be a ghost 1911

The .45 pistol — reported to be a 1911 by the Los Angeles Times — was reportedly cobbled together from parts, including an unserialized frame. That’s what California gun controllers — pretty much everyone in state government — have colorfully dubbed a “ghost gun.”

Investigators are trying to determine who built the gun and how the shooter got it. It’s still legal for individuals to build their own firearms in California, but they are now required to serialize them.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/santa-clarita-school-shooter-used-unserialized-ghost-gun-a-1911-45-pistol/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2019, 07:51:22 AM »
Says reported to be a ghost 1911

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/santa-clarita-school-shooter-used-unserialized-ghost-gun-a-1911-45-pistol/

Another story really building up "ghost gun".

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-high-school-shooter-used-untraceable-ghost-gun-sheriff-says

I can definitely see this potentially causing some kind of gun control push, and one that Trump might sign, as the reasoning would be similar to why he put the kibosh on bump stocks.

Which also makes me agree with those of you who say "buy uppers, not lowers".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2019, 08:38:45 AM »
Another story really building up "ghost gun".

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-high-school-shooter-used-untraceable-ghost-gun-sheriff-says

I can definitely see this potentially causing some kind of gun control push, and one that Trump might sign, as the reasoning would be similar to why he put the kibosh on bump stocks.

Which also makes me agree with those of you who say "buy uppers, not lowers".
At today's prices, buy entire guns.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2019, 09:12:54 AM »

Which also makes me agree with those of you who say "buy uppers, not lowers". a mill and lathe

FTFY

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2019, 09:39:29 AM »
According to the instructions you are supposed to complete a Polymer 80 Glock in a mill or drill press.  I did mine in a mini-mill.  With some care you could do it with a drill and a Dremel.

I did my V1 Polymer 80 G17 with a Dremel, hand drill, and a few small files. It was a pretty straightforward afternoon project and my understanding is that the V2 frames are significantly easier. The prices have come down now too so they can be built cheaper than a real Glock - possibly $375 for a complete kit on Black Friday.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 10:53:28 AM by DittoHead »
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2019, 09:31:03 AM »
Had a thought
What if this is merely a pre 1968 1911? It's not all that uncommon to come across pre 68 firearms with no serial numbers.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2019, 09:37:53 AM »
Had a thought
What if this is merely a pre 1968 1911? It's not all that uncommon to come across pre 68 firearms with no serial numbers.

The one article did say his deceased dad had a number of "unregistered firearms". Which I did too, when I lived there, since I was buying used guns and getting Xmas gifts long before CA required every freakin' thing to be registered.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2019, 10:04:46 AM »
The all knowing all seeing reporters are constantly putting "unregistered" in news articles here (Ky) despite the fact we have zero registration requirements of any kind for firearms.
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2019, 01:43:07 PM »
We get the same crap here in Oklahoma.
It is too pervasive to be accidental or a coincidence.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2019, 03:37:32 PM »
Had a thought

It would be virtually impossible to come across a pre-1968 1911 without a serial number. Even the WW1 M1911s had serial numbers. Colt always numbered theirs, and other than the war years Colt was essentially the only 1911 maker until after 1968.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2019, 10:28:44 AM »
After spending the last few years reading up on persuasion techniques, propoganda and related subjects you couldn't overstate the depths of my cynicism regarding the press or official government information.

It's psy ops from top to bottom.

You can take it to the bank that the ghost gun narrative is a coordinated story.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.