Author Topic: Toaster ovens...  (Read 2009 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Toaster ovens...
« on: November 16, 2019, 08:07:23 AM »
What's your thoughts? I'm thinking I need to get one because I often want to bake something small for my dinner but I end up not doing it because it's ludicrous to fire up the big oven for a chicken breast or a couple of thighs.

There are literally dozens of makers. I want to stay mid range, in the $50 to $100 range, maybe something in the 6 to 8 slice size (4 slice just isn't quite big enough).

Black & Decker, Hamilton Beech, Oester, and some others make well reviewed ovens in that range. I don't want to go up to the kitchenaide, Cuisinart, Breville, etc. level because some of those are pushing $400. No sense in that.

Woot has a Cuisinart airfryer toaster oven on sale right now for $90, but I'm not so sure about air fried stuff.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Toaster ovens...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 08:20:19 AM »
I have an Oster I got from Costco for I think $50. I find it very useful in a one person household. I'll use it for baking biscuits, or, I like roasted asparagus and will make it in that instead of wasting big oven energy. Also stuff like reheating pizza so it doesn't get "microwave limp", again, without firing up the big oven for one or two slices of pizza.

They take up a bit of counter space, but I find them useful and efficient.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 08:39:06 AM »
I have two Oster toaster ovens.  I bought one for the year that I had to live by myself in VA and it worked great for frozen pizzas, small bread loaves and the like.

I have an extra large in the shed that does a beautiful job curing Duracoat.

Both hold temperature nicely and have a convection feature that works well.

I feel like the small one was about fiddy bucks, and the extra large one was just over a hundred.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 10:03:54 AM »
I have this one and I wouldn't do without it. It is slower than a pop-up toaster, but I butter the bread before toasting and it soaks in and makes it awesome, and it's partly made up for by the fact that I can do 4 slices at once, so throughput is actually higher than our old 2 slicer. I prefer to warm up leftovers in the toaster oven about half the time. Basically if it's not liquid it's going to be better warmed up in the toaster oven. And it can cook a whole frozen pizza too.

BLACK+DECKER Countertop... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043E6PLC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 10:35:40 AM »
Those were both two that I was seriously looking at. Glad to hear that they're working well. This will live in the dining room near the microwave. I have a galley kitchen and not nearly enough counter space. Not worried about the space it takes up but I would like one that I can move easily.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 10:52:51 AM »
I have a GE toaster oven that I'm pretty sure is the same unit as this Black & Decker model: https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-TO1313SBD-4-Slice-Toaster/dp/B00GGFHH4U/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=ge+toaster+oven&qid=1573919166&sr=8-4

DON'T BUY IT!

It functions okay for heating up frozen foods like fish sticks, but as a toaster it's a complete failure. The shelf can be placed at two heights, but the feature by which opening the door partially retracts the shelf only works with the shelf in the lower position. And it doesn't matter which position the shelf is in, whether I try to toast one, two, or four slices, the bottom side browns (or burns) faster than the top, and the edges toward the back of the toaster burn before the portions toward the front are browned. Functionally, as a toaster it's significantly inferior to the older GE toaster it replaced, but my late wife wanted one that would handlt four slices and the old one only did two.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 10:58:08 AM »
That's one I wouldn't consider because it's only a 4 slice. That's just a bit too small for me.

I need to swing up to Lowes in a bit; I'm going to see what they have there.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 11:01:06 AM »

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 11:07:50 AM »
This is an interesting thought...

A rotissary toaster oven...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Elite-6-Slice-Black-Toaster-Oven-with-Rotisserie-and-Auto-Shut-Off/1000027717

A rule of thumb with toaster ovens is that the taller it is and thus the further away the rack is from the burners the slower it will be for toasting.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 12:54:23 PM »
I'm interested it it primarily as an oven so toasting performance isn't critical.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 01:09:55 PM »
Toaster ovens are great, they make a nice complement to microwave ovens.  The toaster oven is better when you need something ... toasted ... , like bread items.

I much prefer the toaster oven for leftover pizza, as pizza coming out of the microwave is soggy.  I think the microwave is better for frozen foods, popcorn, stew.

Sometimes I'll buy a panini from the grocery store.  To reheat it, I use both.  First I cook it in the microwave to heat up the meat, and then I finish it in the toaster oven to crisp up the bread.  If I use only the roaster oven, the bread gets too cooked before the meat heats up.  If I use only the microwave, the bread comes out soggy.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2019, 01:59:41 PM »
Black & Decker is what used to be the GE small appliance division. That rotisserie toaster oven looks interesting ... except that it's a Black & Decker. Given my experience with the one I have, I would not even look at a Black & Decker.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2019, 03:46:27 PM »
What's your thoughts? I'm thinking I need to get one because I often want to bake something small for my dinner but I end up not doing it because it's ludicrous to fire up the big oven for a chicken breast or a couple of thighs.

I do those on top of the stove.  I have a Calphalon (sp?) skillet that is not teflon but is pretty-much nonstick, and it works great for roasting a couple pieces of chicken.  The skillet doesn't have a lid, but I have a stockpot lid that fits it close enough.  Maybe you have something like that already?

"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 06:51:54 AM »
Yes, I do, and I pan roasted chicken thighs last night for my dinner.

But the toaster oven would have more versatility than a pan on the stove top as I can use it for baking things other than meat -- potatoes, vegetables, etc.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2019, 09:47:26 AM »

Woot has a Cuisinart airfryer toaster oven on sale right now for $90, but I'm not so sure about air fried stuff.

That seems like an interesting option, crispy potato wedges.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2019, 01:52:54 PM »
We went with the current model Hamilton Beach convection rotisserie toaster oven, for several reasons.

1.  Our last Cuisinart with digital display and controls went electronically AWOL after just a couple of years.  
The Hamilton beach has the old style mechanical timer and  temperature/element knobs. I would expect this version to survive longer.

2. Our 4 year old house has the great room build plan, where the kitchen, dining room, and living room are all one big space.
During the summer time, the A/C struggles enough with the southern exposure, so firing up the gas oven in the kitchen really heats up the great room.
Using the smaller toaster oven to make biscuits, bacon-wrapped cheese stuffed Jalapenos, etc heats the living spaces less, so we really like that option.

3. We finally did use the rotisserie function to do 5lb chickens on several occasions.  It worked PERFECTLY!  Just make sure to tie up the wings and drumsticks securely.

4.  They go on sale frequently.  We bought the all-stainless model, but I see the same model in black is $69.00 now.  

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-Black-Countertop-Oven-with-Convection-Rotisserie-Model-31101D/35241816?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227024454042&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40345695632&wl4=aud-566049426705:pla-78311328992&wl5=9018934&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=35241816&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAiA_MPuBRB5EiwAHTTvMXFCFkzdDbvoGD5L_tv5YLQgJCds1OEp5brxZLoTA33oA9U3Djfs1RoCkNgQAvD_BwE
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2019, 09:34:38 PM »
During the summer time, the A/C struggles enough with the southern exposure, so firing up the gas oven in the kitchen really heats up the great room.

Yup, that's another time we use the toaster oven, to heat up small snacks that will fit in the toaster oven and not have to heat up the whole regular oven.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2019, 09:37:49 PM »
2. Our 4 year old house has the great room build plan, where the kitchen, dining room, and living room are all one big space.
Using the smaller

I bet a ductless unit in that area would help out a bunch.

Uranus is a gas giant.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2019, 08:36:32 AM »
A question I have a lot of experience with-

I have used a toaster oven almost exclusively when baking, from before I was married. (That's over 10 years ago, at this point). The real oven gets used about 4 times a year- the three major holidays and maybe one more random time in the year. Now keep in mind, I have 4 children and it cooks everything we need to feed them and us.

I've used Kitchenaid, Hamilton Beach, Black and Decker, etc...

The Hamilton Beach one that Gewehr98 linked is the one we are currently using. Previously, we had a Kitchenaid with dials and before that, one with a digital readout.

My first piece of advice: the under $100 units are to be understood as disposable appliances. I don't know if the over $200 are better built, but the under $100 units last, at best, 3-5 years.

For example, after 1 year, the convection fan in the Hamilton Beach has started whining and grinding.
The older Kitchenaid had its digital readout start malfunctioning after 3-4 years. It still worked for 2+ more years, but was annoying. It was actually the best performing of the ones we have bought because its heating elements and fans all functioned excellently. We decided to look at ones with dials to avoid the digital readout's failure and found that it failed earlier and with more concerning results. (When switching from Bake to Broil or Toast, it suddenly got very hard to turn and then had a large "Pop" followed by smoke, after about 2-3 years of use.) We replaced that one with the Hamilton Beach.

If you accept that they are not particularly long-lived, they are wonderful appliances. Snacks, breads, casseroles, pork loin, meatloaf, chicken, pies, cookies, etc...- so long as it fits, you can cook it well. I like to make sure I buy ones that will fit my cast iron skillet and chicken fryer. The toaster oven heats up much faster than the real oven, and it less hassle to just pop something it for reheating that you'd like to be crunchy, not soft. Leftover pizza from the microwave is nasty. Leftover pizza in the toaster oven is great, for example.

Each toaster oven will be different- some will heat the rear more quickly than the front so you will need to turn your food halfway through cooking. Some heat better than others.

I will say, while the Hamilton Beach has been acceptable, aside from the fan issue, (the ability to cook things on separate racks is very nice), the digital Kitchenaid was the one I was most satisfied with.

As I am looking for the model (which I can't find since it was probably 5-8 years ago that we bought it. In fact, it may even have been a wedding present), it seems that the digital Kitchenaid Models start in the $150 range. That might explain why it was the longest-lived oven we had.

So, for longevity, you may want to bump up your price a little. This is probably the closest to what we had:

https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KCO211BM-Digital-Countertop-Toaster/dp/B07T3J3B13/

But it's significantly different as our dial and readout were all on the right side. I see this one has mixed reviews, so YMMV on how good it may be.

This may be the current version of ours, but it looks quite different as well:

https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KCO275SS-Convection-1800-watt-Countertop/dp/B00U0VTNCU

Note that it is $200. More expensive likely means longer lasting.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 08:48:45 AM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2019, 08:50:41 AM »
The more I think about it, the more I think I'm actually going to go in the other direction -- simplicity...

No rotisserie and no convection. That just adds expense and potential failure points. Realistically, if I need convection, I'll use my large oven or my grill.

So, the question then becomes... 6 or 8 slice size. 6 is more convenient size wise for sitting where I want it to go... 8 is more realistic for baking a chicken.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2019, 09:02:03 AM »
The more I think about it, the more I think I'm actually going to go in the other direction -- simplicity...

No rotisserie and no convection. That just adds expense and potential failure points. Realistically, if I need convection, I'll use my large oven or my grill.

So, the question then becomes... 6 or 8 slice size. 6 is more convenient size wise for sitting where I want it to go... 8 is more realistic for baking a chicken.

If you're baking/roasting a chicken, wouldn't you just use your kitchen range?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2019, 09:09:29 AM »
Go to the thrift store.

Buy one so old it was actually made in the USA.

Low price + it will actually work!

Modern appliances are pretty terrible.

That's what we did.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2019, 09:27:29 AM »
My cheap Oster has convection and I actually like it, especially for biscuits. My last toaster oven was just a previous model of this one, had convection, and lasted me over 10 years. It was still working fine, but was one of the things I gave away when I moved, or I'd still be using it.

Otherwise, yeah, I like simplicity in these things. Mine is just dials, no fancy electronics.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."