Author Topic: Mince Meat Pie?  (Read 749 times)

Bob F.

• friend
Mince Meat Pie?
« on: November 16, 2019, 10:11:40 PM »
Mom used to make a killer mince meat pie, She's long gone now and neither sis nor I can find her recipie. I know she used the None Such mince meat in a jar and doctored it up with diced apples and what else? Tried some at a resort restaurant that was actually a raisin pie, yuk!

Nobody around here apparently has ever had a real mince meat pie. Any help?
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Mince Meat Pie?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 10:22:51 PM »
Mince meat is suet, sugar, spices, raisins, currants, candied fruit, apples, etc
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 10:54:18 PM »
I will be very interested to see any suggestions.  I love mincemeat, and I have been known to eat it directly from the None Such jar. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 11:16:12 PM »
There is no need to "doctor up" None Such mincemeat pie filling at all -- with one small exception: Add brandy. My mother always made mincemeat pie for the holidays, because it was my grandfather's favorite. His perennial request to Mom was, "Let the bottle slip." The alcohol evaporates during baking but the brandy adds a nice touch to the flavor.

None Such is a seasonal product in most supermarkets. It should be on the shelves about now, and it'll disappear after Christmas.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 06:40:16 AM »
I'll root around and see if I can find my aunt's authentic mince meat recipe... it uses meat. Bottom round roast, I believe. It made the best mince meat pies. Mom and my Aunt used to make it every year or every other year.

Have you looked at the price of a jar of Nonesuch lately? It's ludicrous. You'd be best making your own fruit mince meat...

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/260314/mincemeat/

If you can find it, a block of the None Such condensed mince meat is, I feel, a better product because the fruit has a better consistency.

And yes, you can certainly doctor your mince meat to make it go farther. Dried fruits -- apples, blueberries, cranberries, apricots, peaches, etc. Just don't get exotic and add crap like mango or pineapple... Doesn't work or play well.

If you do add additional dried fruit, soak it in brandy or some other spirit to reconstitute it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 09:38:34 AM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 11:07:32 AM »
Charby, Thanks, but looks pretty labor intensive! Would be great if I'd kill a deer! Think I'll stick with None Such this year but saved the recipe.
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."