Author Topic: Does anyone have a 2019 or 2020 Ford F-150?  (Read 619 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Does anyone have a 2019 or 2020 Ford F-150?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 07:47:43 PM »
Using glue to secure a high-current (or almost any) electrical connection seems a wee bit out of bounds to me.  But I'm old fashioned, so forget I said anything.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 08:10:26 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. Mine was built in April so I'm good but ran it through the linked VIN check system just to be sure.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 01:09:02 AM »
Well there's glue, and then there's glue.  Large parts of the A380 fuselage are glued together, and it does just fine.

Regardless, the actual TSB on this says "inspect and retorque the fastener", so it's not glued together.  If I had to guess, without the vehicle in front of me, I'd say that some run of trucks got too much thread locker on the threads, which prevented the nut from seating properly with the robotic socket driver.

I had to do a little bit of digging, because , like Terry, I read that article and thought "hmm, that seems strange".  Once again, a news article is accurate as long as you don't actually know the facts.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 10:34:24 AM »
^ "Once again, a news article is accurate as long as you don't actually know the facts."

I read it as "adhesive."  

Dealers will inspect the battery cable joint and remove excess adhesive that may cause the problem. Then they’ll reassemble and tighten it.

Surely adhesives are fine in many applications, but I have my doubts in electrical connections, if that's how they're using it.

P = I2R

See, I was thinking "High I2 on starting" means more heat (P), depending on R, which is not zero.  

If I is, say 200 Amps for starting, I2 gets pretty big, and so does P,  even if R is in milliohms.  And nowadays, with the constant restarts at traffic lights, you've got a lot of P-cycling.

More heat (P) usually leads to decomposition of the adhesive. Decomposition of the adhesive means mechanical failure of the connection.  Possibly in a runaway situation. But what do I know?

Anyhow, never mind.  If they want to clean out the connection ("remove excessive adhesive") and re-crimp it for free, what the hell do I care?  I hope the pennies they saved in production did not get burned up in the recall.

=D Terry "The best electrical glue is solder," 230RN =D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 11:35:42 AM by 230RN »

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 02:11:33 AM »
It's a nut and threaded stud.  They put too much Loctite on some studs.  They clean the stud and tighten the nut.

All the rest is either (in the TSB) engineers overcomplicating, or (in the article) newsies not understand what they are writing about.

Tighten nut on battery cable at power distribution box.  That's the recall.