Author Topic: The Anthem Kneeler again  (Read 2956 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The Anthem Kneeler again
« on: November 17, 2019, 11:08:23 PM »
So Colin Kapernik was going to get his own NFL event this weekend, so he could actually get back onto a team, but he decided not to do it.  :rofl:

Apparently Jay-Z was one of his big backers, and helped set this thing up, and he's not happy about it.  :rofl:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/jay-z-disappointed-over-colin-kaepernick-publicity-stunt-report

Makes me wonder if the real reason he backed out was because he knew he wasn't going to measure up.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: The Anthem Kneeler again
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 02:01:38 AM »
There is speculation that he would rather play the martyr card than actually, like, play football.

https://joy105.com/stephen-a-smith-says-colin-kaepernick-doesnt-want-to-play-he-wants-to-be-a-martyr/
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 09:36:24 AM »
Piece of *expletive deleted*it confirms once again he’s a piece of *expletive deleted*it? You don’t say!
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 10:15:08 AM »
There is speculation that he would rather play the martyr card than actually, like, play football.

https://joy105.com/stephen-a-smith-says-colin-kaepernick-doesnt-want-to-play-he-wants-to-be-a-martyr/

He may or may not be interested in football anymore, and I don't follow or understand the whole football scene, but from what I have seen and read, he seems to follow whatever orders his activist girlfriend gives. IIRC, she's the one who convinced him to kneel in the first place.

I suppose the greatest criticism should be what a weak-minded individual he is.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 10:16:40 AM »
Nike is still paying him so why should he go back to work playing football?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 10:37:12 AM »
He may or may not be interested in football anymore, and I don't follow or understand the whole football scene, but from what I have seen and read, he seems to follow whatever orders his activist girlfriend gives. IIRC, she's the one who convinced him to kneel in the first place.

I suppose the greatest criticism should be what a weak-minded individual he is.

I didn't know that.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 10:47:37 AM »
I didn't know that.

That is just what I recall reading from more than one source back when this started. She sounded like an SJW nag.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 11:14:55 AM »
Nike is still paying him so why should he go back to work playing football?

Being on Nike's payroll doesn't keep you on the sport's news front page. Fame is like a drug to many and he needed a fix
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 11:42:01 AM »
Apparently he worked out at some high school field and a few NFL teams showed up.  He wanted the media to be at his workout and the NFL prohibited that, so he went elsewhere and invited the media.  The guy is a clown of the highest order.

Since I live in Michigan and we have the Detroit Liedowns for an NFL team, I rather expect that they will hire him.  The Liedowns are famous for two reasons:  Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and being the "other" team when an NFL record is set for virtually everything.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 11:54:59 AM »
Apparently he worked out at some high school field and a few NFL teams showed up.  He wanted the media to be at his workout and the NFL prohibited that, so he went elsewhere and invited the media.  The guy is a clown of the highest order.

Since I live in Michigan and we have the Detroit Liedowns for an NFL team, I rather expect that they will hire him.  The Liedowns are famous for two reasons:  Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and being the "other" team when an NFL record is set for virtually everything.

Had one of the greatest running backs in the history of the league and couldn't do anything with him. They managed ONE playoff win while he was there. ONE. The man basically carried the whole team on his back.

The mismanagement and lack of vision to do that is mind-boggling. You truly have the worst team in the league.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 12:02:04 PM »
Had one of the greatest running backs in the history of the league and couldn't do anything with him. They managed ONE playoff win while he was there. ONE. The man basically carried the whole team on his back.

The mismanagement and lack of vision to do that is mind-boggling. You truly have the worst team in the league.

Not so different from the country as a whole.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 12:28:15 PM »
Actually, according to representatives on both sides, they could not agree on the language of the liability waiver, and that was the major factor such that the NFL cancelled the event. Apparently, the NFL lawyers had broad language that could have affected Mr. Kaepernick's future legal rights should he be employed by a NFL team.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 01:11:32 PM »
Actually, according to representatives on both sides, they could not agree on the language of the liability waiver, and that was the major factor such that the NFL cancelled the event. Apparently, the NFL lawyers had broad language that could have affected Mr. Kaepernick's future legal rights should he be employed by a NFL team.

I actually laughing out loud at that.

Yeah, I'm sure the NFL put in a special waiver for Kaepernick in order to steal his rights and not just sent him the same standard waiver they have already created for the athletes who participate in workouts like this.

THAT seems really likely.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2019, 01:29:14 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure the NFL put in a special waiver for Kaepernick in order to steal his rights and not just sent him the same standard waiver they have already created for the athletes who participate in workouts like this.
Saying he found their waiver unacceptable is not the same as saying it was a special one just for him.

The NFL insists the waiver they asked Kaepernick to sign is standard. However, a standard waiver might not be appropriate for Kaepernick. This is neither a typical player nor a typical situation. Kaepernick and the league, and their attorneys, battled in a collusion grievance for 16 months. They also reached a settlement concerning past claims (from 2017 to February 2019) but not possible claims that could have occurred after February, and that could still occur. Perhaps most importantly, both sides clearly don’t trust the other. In short, this is not a standard situation and thus a standard form might be ill-suited.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2019, 02:07:52 PM »
I actually laughing out loud at that.

THAT seems really likely.

The article in today's Wall Street Journal goes into detail on the waiver language and issue.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2019, 03:41:07 PM »
If I owned an NFL team I wouldn't want the headaches and dissent hiring Kapernik would bring - IMHO he's just not good enough to make him worth the trouble.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2019, 04:03:32 PM »
If I owned an NFL team I wouldn't want the headaches and dissent hiring Kapernik would bring - IMHO he's just not good enough to make him worth the trouble.
I heard someone on the radio ask:  If you want to hire a mediocre quarterback who will bring off-field-distractions with him, why not just hire Johnny Manziel.   :lol:

I tend to think the guy has no intention of ever playing again, but continuing to put himself out as a possible hire keeps him in the spotlight. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2019, 04:27:02 PM »

That's not my understanding.

First, the NFL didn't cancel the workout. Kaepernick announced, about ONE HOUR before the start time, that he had decided to conduct his own workout, at a different location 60 miles away.

Second, my understanding is that the waiver the NFL wanted him to sign had nothing to do with what might happen if he were hired by a team, it was a waiver that made it clear that there was no employer/employee relationship -- and thus no workers compensation claim -- if he were injured during the workout. Kaepernick's side says they returned it with minor edits -- the NFL says they [Kaepernick's people] completely rewrote it, and sent it back at the last minute.

Kaepernick is a clown. An NFL owner would have to be certifiably insane to hire him.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2019, 04:31:12 PM »

Actually, that was covered by the article linked in the OP:

As reported by The Daily Wire, Kaepernick cancelled the scheduled NFL workout abruptly on Saturday, about a half hour before the session was to begin, apparently because he had to sign a liability waiver and wasn’t allowed to bring his own camera crew.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2019, 04:43:49 PM »
https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/nfl-waiver-colin-kaepernick-workout-issue

“I’ve been ready for three years,” Kaepernick said. “I’ve been denied for three years. We all know why. ...

Yes, we do all know why. Because you chose to make a jackass out of yourself and antagonize the football fans who buy the tickets that pay the salaries the players earn. You made yourself into a liability instead of an asset. That's why.

And the fact that every NFL owner could logically conclude that you are a toxic property and that he couldn't afford to hire you in no way proves, or even suggests, that there was "collusion."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2019, 07:51:40 PM »
I'll note that picking Riverdale was probably deliberate.  I used to stay with family in Fayetteville as a kid and Riverdale was a violent black slum that you just didn't go to.  Having a workout there probably got him more woke points or something.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2019, 11:24:33 PM »
Want to be a top level athlete? Okay, have hair that needs no extra management so you can concentrate on the game, not how your helmet goes on.

Get paid millions? Show up in a shirt that says Kunta Kinte. Almost as audacious as Tom Morello passing himself off as "Black Spartacus." Awfully hard to lead a slave revolt from a $3 million mansion.

AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2019, 11:29:40 PM »
https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/nfl-waiver-colin-kaepernick-workout-issue

Yes, we do all know why. Because you chose to make a jackass out of yourself and antagonize the football fans who buy the tickets that pay the salaries the players earn. You made yourself into a liability instead of an asset. That's why.

And the fact that every NFL owner could logically conclude that you are a toxic property and that he couldn't afford to hire you in no way proves, or even suggests, that there was "collusion."
And if a team ever actually hired him, he would probably claim racism if they ever tried to cut him or when he wanted a raise.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2019, 08:12:17 AM »
And if a team ever actually hired him, he would probably claim racism if they ever tried to cut him or when he wanted a raise.

There's that right there. Why would anyone sane hire a guy like this? There's absolutely a 99% chance hiring a diva like him would bite you in the ass.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2019, 09:05:14 AM »
I also heard it speculated that Nike likes controversy like this and may have encouraged his kneeling and other antics.