Author Topic: Dogs killed and ate a rabbit this morning  (Read 1840 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Dogs killed and ate a rabbit this morning
« on: November 18, 2019, 04:32:11 PM »
Good Dog!  (I hate rabbits)  I'm not sure which one killed it, but the young dog played with the carcass for about an hour and wouldn't come in the house (she kinda wanted to bring it inside but knew better, and she also wanted to make sure I saw it.)  Then they both ate it.  After they were finished I went out to clean up the remaining bits of fur, etc and there surprisingly wasn't a trace left. 

Both dogs are up to date on their heartworm pills but had the last dose for the year a week ago -- and I don't think Ivermectin or Pyrantel are effective against tapeworms anyway.  Should I worm the dogs in a couple of days, or just wait and see?
"It's good, though..."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Dogs killed and ate a rabbit this morning
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 04:44:45 PM »
How about plague?

https://www.foxnews.com/health/china-3rd-plague-case-man-wild-rabbit-meat

(I know you don't live in China, but plague exists in the U.S.  In Colorado, prairie dogs have tested positive for plague)

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 05:01:26 PM »
Pretty much the only thing Ivermectin doesn't kill is tapeworm. You have to go to the vet for that one. My only concern would be tularemia, which is one I don't know much about and I don't think Ivermectin works on that either.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 05:42:37 PM »
Pretty much the only thing Ivermectin doesn't kill is tapeworm. You have to go to the vet for that one. My only concern would be tularemia, which is one I don't know much about and I don't think Ivermectin works on that either.

Tularemia is rare in Minnesota, and dogs are naturally resistant (not immune) to it, so that's pretty unlikely.  
I don't think there's ever been a case of plague here, but there has been one in Illinois.  Tapeworms are the pretty common, tho'.  

I don't know if rabbits can carry trichinosis, but probably not since they are vegetarian herbivores. [I didn't think that was the right word when I typed it]  If the dogs kill and eat a bear I'll be worried about trich. ;)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 08:47:50 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 07:56:55 PM »
Tularemia is rare in Minnesota, and dogs are naturally resistant (not immune) to it, so that's pretty unlikely.  
I don't think there's ever been a case of plague here, but there has been one in Illinois.  Tapeworms are the pretty common, tho'.  

I don't know if rabbits can carry trichinosis, but probably not since they are vegetarian.  If the dogs kill and eat a bear I'll be worried about trich. ;)

If your dogs kill and eat a bear,  I'd worry about the dogs. [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 08:01:57 PM »
Just wait till after they throw up rabbit guts, bones and fur in the house.  Then see if they need to go to the vet. :rofl: :rofl:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 08:49:42 PM »
Just wait till after they throw up rabbit guts, bones and fur in the house.  Then see if they need to go to the vet. :rofl: :rofl:

If they had done that, I'm sure I would have heard about it at work today!
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 11:23:50 PM »
If your dogs kill and eat a bear,  I'd worry about the dogs. [tinfoil]
Buy extra doggie treats.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 01:55:50 AM »
I'd wait and see.  No good reason to work the dog unless there is an actual problem.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 01:33:14 PM »
I don't know if it's just an old hunter's tale or not, but they (whoever "they" are) used to say not to hunt rabbits for the table until after the first snow, on the theory that sub-freezing weather would kill off the sick ones.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 07:41:13 AM »
Seren tried her damndest to get at the raccoon we jumped this morning on our walk. Not sure if she wanted to play with the funny looking dog or if she wanted to eat it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 07:42:40 AM »
I don't know if it's just an old hunter's tale or not, but they (whoever "they" are) used to say not to hunt rabbits for the table until after the first snow, on the theory that sub-freezing weather would kill off the sick ones.

I always thought that that had to do with rabbits picking up transient worms in their diet. Once the snow flies, the worms die off and their systems purge.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 10:02:34 PM »
Our doggies get Interceptor monthly. It kills everything that Ivermectin does AND tapeworm. The cost is about the same as (crap; can’t recall the brand).

JB
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 10:06:45 PM »
Our doggies get Interceptor monthly. It kills everything that Ivermectin does AND tapeworm. The cost is about the same as (crap; can’t recall the brand).

Heartgard?  Thanks, I will talk to my vet about it.  One of my dogs is an Aussie, and Interceptor might actually be safer for her.  (I thought Interceptor was off the market, but maybe that's another similar drug made by Merck)
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2019, 10:30:29 PM »
Interceptor is still out there. Steve is on the Interceptor Plus. Though I am debating whether I want to skip it for the Winter here. He got his last dose on the 15th, and we started getting the below freezing weather in October already.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."