Author Topic: Welcome to your virtual emergency room. Wave at the nice doctor on the TV.  (Read 666 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/the-most-remote-emergency-room/2019/11/16/717d08e2-063e-11ea-b17d-8b867891d39d_story.html

So BobR, how long before the VA adopts this?  And I cannot imagine talking someone with no experience through an endo intubation. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Welcome to your virtual emergency room. Wave at the nice doctor on the TV.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 05:14:46 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/the-most-remote-emergency-room/2019/11/16/717d08e2-063e-11ea-b17d-8b867891d39d_story.html

And I cannot imagine talking someone with no experience through an endo intubation. 

Yet the longer the system is in place the more the staff on site will learn how to do these things. Not only does it provide immediate assistance, but you also have a way to train the staff in these locations even if it is an education along the lines of throwing the baby in the water and seeing if it swims.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 06:19:30 PM »
The VA here in Shreveport, LA ALREADY DOES virtual office visits! I'm scheduled for one in a few months!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 10:10:59 PM »
I can live with that. They have been doing it for the Alaskan villages for a while but not as in depth. A lot of stuff during a trauma or medical emergency is mechanical, just doing things. With the right amount of training I can see PAs and Nurses doing this. A Paramedic would be a great addition to an ER that has a virtual doc.

Our ICU is a teleICU, we remote Intensivists in to manage ICU patients. They have the expertise our regular Hospitalists don't have and it may just prevent a transfer to an outside facility.

The VA is doing a lot of stuff through telemedicine, teleDerm, telePsych, among s a few. It saves the taxpayer money and often gets the Vet seen quicker than waiting for an appointment out in town.

bob

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
I promise not to duck.