Author Topic: The Tesla cybertruck  (Read 3648 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: The Tesla cybertruck
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2019, 02:19:40 PM »
Am I correct in my recollection that American electric vehicles do not have a common charging interface and therefore cannot use any electric charging station?

No standardized plug and no standardized power settings.  Like others have said, the Tesla comes with several adapter pieces.   The onboard software controls how quickly the car charges.

I have a Model 3.  I can charge it with 120v wall outlet at about 4 miles of range per hour, or with the dedicated charger at about 40 miles/hr, or a Supercharger at ludicrous speed.  I haven't tried charging at other manufacturer's chargers, so I can't guarantee it will work.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2019, 03:11:11 PM »
My model 3 will smoke any of those hot rods.

It may well but it will never, not in this life or the next, be anywhere close to as cool as a chopped '32 coupe running a blown 454.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 03:38:41 PM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2019, 03:14:48 PM »
I wonder if Tesla will produce a version with loudspeakers on the outside and an MP3 player connected to the throttle to make "vroom-vroom" noises.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2019, 04:31:11 PM »
I wonder if Tesla will produce a version with loudspeakers on the outside and an MP3 player connected to the throttle to make "vroom-vroom" noises.

I remember a short story in an SF anthology from quite a few years ago.  World is decades into resource depletion scarcity and poverty.  Most people, if they drive, might have a "plywood and plastic austerity beetle".  One guy, to spite his despised neighbor, has an old behemoth land yacht of a car, that he ostentatiously leaves running as he goes in for his daily paper and coffee.   "Go ahead and report it.  The EPA loves my car!"

In the last scene, the owner, in the privacy of his garage, starts in on his nightly 2 hour hand cranking of the spring that powers the thing, and contemplates putting a bit more rumble in the sound output.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2019, 05:27:38 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2019, 07:27:56 PM »
My elecric company's FAQ on the matter.   All I wanted to know was approximately how much it cost to to recharge a typical pasenger car.  Ballparkey number.  (Household electricity hereabouts is $0.14/kWh for my low-use apartment residence, including all taxes and other charges):

https://www.xcelenergy.com/energy_portfolio/innovation/electric_vehicles?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxeTGkIf_5QIVwh6tBh0mwwwKEAAYASAAEgKA4_D_BwE

Their PDF of a relative cost analysis:

https://www.xcelenergy.com/staticfiles/xe/PDF/18-05-411_CO_EV_Graphic_TimeOfUse_P02.pdf

I loved that windup spring story. TNX lee n. field.
(I never read the original.)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 07:50:43 PM by 230RN »

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2019, 01:47:19 AM »
My model 3 will smoke any of those hot rods.

You have the Performance Model?  How do you like it?

I'm strongly considering a just off lease EV to replace one of my households 3 ICE cars when we're do for a new one.  We should be looking in 3(ish) years.  A Model 3 or Model Y are kinda at the top of that list.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2019, 09:34:17 AM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2019, 09:46:43 AM »
You have the Performance Model?  How do you like it?

I'm strongly considering a just off lease EV to replace one of my households 3 ICE cars when we're do for a new one.  We should be looking in 3(ish) years.  A Model 3 or Model Y are kinda at the top of that list.

We have the long range dual motor version.  It isn't the performance trim, but it is really quick. 

I like it quite a bit.  My biggest gripes are about the cruise control and "autopilot."  I don't like the logic on either of those systems.

As for daily driving issues, there aren't any.  It is comfy, quiet, and performs well. 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2019, 10:02:54 AM »

I like it quite a bit.  My biggest gripes are about the cruise control and "autopilot."  I don't like the logic on either of those systems.

Yeah, but what do you know about autopilots?  >:D
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2019, 10:13:49 AM »
We have the long range dual motor version.  It isn't the performance trim, but it is really quick. 

As for daily driving issues, there aren't any.  It is comfy, quiet, and performs well. 

That's actually really useful feedback.  Because when you are looking at them Autopilot is like a $7000 option.  It's bundled with some other stuff though.  I gotta look and see what else it comes with.  Thanks.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2019, 10:34:42 AM »
That's actually really useful feedback.  Because when you are looking at them Autopilot is like a $7000 option.  It's bundled with some other stuff though.  I gotta look and see what else it comes with.  Thanks.

The autopilot is just software, so you cam always buy that later, if you want.  Of course, it will cost more then.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2019, 10:37:47 AM »
Looks like something out of a low budget 70s sci fi TV show
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2019, 12:19:35 PM »
Meh .... I still prefer the Knight Industries Two Thousand.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2019, 03:40:16 AM »
        Looks a wee bit radar-stealthy,no?   =D

Terry

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2019, 07:56:12 PM »
I remember a short story in an SF anthology from quite a few years ago.  World is decades into resource depletion scarcity and poverty.  Most people, if they drive, might have a "plywood and plastic austerity beetle".  One guy, to spite his despised neighbor, has an old behemoth land yacht of a car, that he ostentatiously leaves running as he goes in for his daily paper and coffee.   "Go ahead and report it.  The EPA loves my car!"

In the last scene, the owner, in the privacy of his garage, starts in on his nightly 2 hour hand cranking of the spring that powers the thing, and contemplates putting a bit more rumble in the sound output.

Found it!  Full story available on the Interwebz:  Speed of the Cheetah, Roar of the Lion

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2019, 10:25:25 PM »
Found it!  Full story available on the Interwebz:  Speed of the Cheetah, Roar of the Lion

Thank you!  I also really enjoyed your description of the windup car story, then couldn't even remember what thread it was in.  I will enjoy reading it even if I know how it ends :)
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2019, 10:36:07 PM »
Looks like something out of a low budget 70s sci fi TV show
I was thinking 80's post-nuclear war show. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075909/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_19
Damnation Alley (1977)

I thought it was an 80's show, but maybe that is just when I saw it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2019, 12:13:20 AM »
"DAMNATION ALLEY". Love that great sf classic !   Saw it in the theater and have the DVD!  Wonderful adventure --- killer cockroaches and all!!!!!! [tinfoil] [popcorn] [popcorn] ....  :rofl:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2019, 08:17:56 PM »

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

230RN

• friend
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2019, 11:06:15 PM »

You could stick a playing card in the spokes.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2019, 07:32:11 AM »
Someone online has pointed out the very distinct similarity between the Tesla truck and the police cars in Blade Runner...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2019, 08:57:25 AM »
Thank you!  I also really enjoyed your description of the windup car story, then couldn't even remember what thread it was in.  I will enjoy reading it even if I know how it ends :)

And reading over the story, I see that I got the gist, but many details are wrong.  I'd make a good blurb writer.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2019, 02:37:50 AM »
There was no problem with your blurb.  Besides, too many details tend to smother the point.  Heh.  So look who's talking here. Me.  Heh.

Terry

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2019, 04:40:33 PM »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!