Author Topic: Help, I really need tire recommendations  (Read 6391 times)

JAlexander

• friend
Help, I really need tire recommendations
« on: May 13, 2005, 01:04:42 PM »
Like the subject says, I am completely at a loss about the tire issue.  I have a '99 Tacoma Prerunner that I really love, but I'm gonna need new tires for it soon.  The truck currently has 31x10.5s on it, and given the wealth of conflicting information about tread life vs handling vs traction, I can't make a decision that I'm comfortable with.  I originally intended to go with Goodyear AT/D2s that were on sale at Sam's, but I can't find any reviews online.  
Do any of you have experience with a good tire that isn't terribly expensive?  I don't do too much off-roading, but I do drive through mud from time to time, and I would like a tire with as many plys as possible, since I go through a lot of mesquite brush.
I appreciate any help y'all can give me.

James

50 Shooter

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 01:22:03 PM »
Kinda hard to beat the BFG all terrain tires for a daily driver and mild off-road use. As long as you don't abuse them, keep them inflated right and keep them balanced, they should last you at least 50K miles or more.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 02:19:14 PM »
I put some Bridgestone Dueler Revos on my Trooper a couple of months ago and like them a lot. They replaced the stock Bridgestone OEM (686 I think?).

They're a bit noiser than the stocks were, and I have noticed a 1-2mpg drop in fuel, but they handle superbly, especially in wet stuff.

Edit You might try here for tire reviews: http://www.tirerack.com/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

yesterdaysyouth

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 03:12:01 PM »
check out the offerings from kumho....

Paddy

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 04:13:21 PM »
My local tire store is pushing some Dayton Timberline AT's for $99 each.  They say they have good experience with them.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 05:48:02 AM »
I've had good luck with Goodyear Wrangler GSAs.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

DigMe

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 10:41:32 AM »
Here's a list of places with tire reviews:
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/automotive/tires/reviews.html

THe last tires I put on my Xterra were Yokohama Geolanders.  They were ok, not spectacular.  They have a 60,000 mile warranty though and I believe I'm going to be able to take advantage of it and get some new tires because most of the treadsa are almost down to 3/16s after 50,000 miles.  In retrospect I'd like something with slightly more aggressive tread because I do drive it offroad on our land and the tread on the Geolanders isn't quite enough...I can get by but there's a lot of slippin' and sliding when it's muddy out there.

brad cook

spinr

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 03:47:53 PM »
My truck originally had BFG All-Terrains on it.  They had great traction, but were quite noisy.  Not so much as a serious off-road tire, but enough that it bothered me.  The only other problem I had with them was that they wore out very, very fast.  I barely got 30,000 miles out of them, and I'm not a hard or aggressive driver by any means.

When I replaced them, I did a fair amount of research on the various brands.  In the end I got a set of Cooper Discoverer ATs.  Mainly for two reasons... there are  a lot of vehicles in my area with these on them & I heard much praise for them from those that own them.  And, of course, they were actually quite affordable at the local tire shop.  I've had them for about 12,000 miles on them now without any appreciable wear showing.  They have done very well in the limited off-road situations I've had them in and they did great in the snow over the course of the last two Winter seasons.

Wink

kudu

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 05:05:50 PM »
I have had good luck with Goodyear Wrangler AT's, got about 50,000 on the last set.  Have had the GY GSA's also and got about the same mileage, but cost more.  I put the last set of AT's on for IIRC $380.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005, 04:06:31 AM »
I have 2 4WD vehicles.
Absolutely BFG AT TA's - 31x10.50x15 should run you about $125 each.

Jamie
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

yci

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 05:14:47 AM »
I've come to like the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires.  My truck came with them originally, got about 73K miles on 'em before I decided it was time to put new ones on, and went with the same tire.  The dealer had them for about $107 each, but managed to find them at a local Goodyear dealer for $99 each.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 05:59:54 PM »
The last time I replaced the tires on my 1978 E250 4x4 I put Pirelli Scorpion A/T's on it. A nice tread pattern for mud and snow, not to loud and they ride great. I went with 10 ply. Price is comprable to , or cheaper than the Goodyears and BFGs.

http://www.us.pirelli.com/en_US/tyres/car_suv/home_car_us1.jhtml;jsessionid=Z5TUA23JMW4YTFYKJOPSFEY?s1=4400002&s2=5700003&_requestid=70417

http://www.us.pirelli.com/en_US/tyres/catalog/tyre_product.jhtml?selected=desc&productid=2631&catid=US_SUVON

I was so impressed with these I bought a set of Pirelli's for my wife's Chrysler. What sold me on the auto tires was the phenomenal amount of siping on the tire for a stock tire.

bob