Author Topic: cost to build a garage  (Read 1158 times)

zahc

• friend
cost to build a garage
« on: December 07, 2019, 03:58:27 PM »
I'm looking at a house which doesn't have a garage. How much does it cost to build a 2 car detached garage?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: cost to build a garage
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 04:27:01 PM »
How much does it cost

That's one of those "how much ya got?" kind of questions.
Contact a local builder or two and discuss your what you want built.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 04:35:32 PM »
I'm looking at a house which doesn't have a garage. How much does it cost to build a 2 car detached garage?

New construction in Pahrump NV, Mountain Falls community to put a third garage on an two care design is 14k. No insulation or automatic opener.

bob

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 09:31:47 PM »
Big sliding scale between roof and maybe walls to store cars all the way up to Garage Majal man playground. Unless you are handy and put in all the electrics, pneumatics, cabinets, benches, beer fridges, etc. yourself.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 11:14:32 PM »
Bump.  Also interested.

I've got a 20x20 workshop in my backyard with 8' ceilings and a small 1/2 bathroom in it.  Air conditioning is nearly shot in it anyways and I'm probably looking at $5k to replace the unit and air handler going by local inflated AC rates.  Roof is also worn out and will cost several thousand to replace.  It's too small for the type of work I like to do in it and I find myself toting tools outside in order to do most work, particularly if I'm running 8' pieces of wood through a workstation.

I want to flatten it, extend the foundation to 25x30, go to 10' ceilings, and add a 2nd story half furnished as an office/guest room with 3/4 bath, then leave the other half of the 2nd story as attic storage.

I have an electrician friend that I can give the wiring work to and pay in BTC or alt trade goods.  I'm willing to do the drywall and finish work.  I'm just looking at cost for skilled foundation, framing and roofing of the size building I'm looking at.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 12:15:25 AM »
Ten or twelve years ago my brother paid about $12,000 to attach a 24' x 24' garage to his house. That meant the builder only had to do three walls. No electrics -- my brother did that himself.

FWIW, the building inspector screwed up. The builder used hurricane clips to tie the roof rafters to the walls, but they were installed wrong. The inspector missed it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 12:51:47 AM »
In Central FL, I'm looking at butting a bigger shop in.  I've done quote a bit of pricing and am looking at about 25k for a 20x30.  That's slab poured, steel building delivered and set up, and buying everything I need for insulation, HVAC, and electrical on the inside, but planning on putting all that in myself.  That price does include a garage door and opener, but there's a lot of electrical supplies.  I want a 50A sub panel, and a bunch of power drops.  HVAC was just a basic split unit, pretty cheap and also installed myself.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 01:35:56 AM »
Yeah doors. Ow. It has been ten years buy I distinctly remember the construction loan was pegged and the new installed garage door went on my credit card. Price them out, two could easy roast most of your budget.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 12:09:39 PM »
Price probably varies a lot based on location, local building codes, etc.

When I was little my folks built a 2-car detached garage for our house in Chicago once the city paved the alley, but that was a LONG time ago.

I'll just advise -

1. Build it bigger than you think you really need. Even a couple of extra feet in depth and width means a lot.
2. Consider the door size - it probably doesn't cost much more to make it 18' wide instead of the normal 16', but if you envision EVER having a big pickup or van you'll want to garage, you may want to make it taller as well.
3. On our old detached garage, we made sure the "people" door faced the house so we could see it from inside. Same with the window.
4. Depending on where you live, decide on whether or not you want the window openable, or if you want vents up on the walls below the eaves.
5. Do you want storage available up in the rafters? Some prefab roof trusses make that impractical.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 02:57:56 PM »
Just figure $35k for a starting point. Anything less is a shed.
24x36 minimum with 240v sub panel, insulated overhead doors and radiant floor heat depending climate, etc
Hope this has been helpful!
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 05:34:37 PM »
Price probably varies a lot based on location, local building codes, etc.

Location, yes, due to localized costs for materials and labor. Building Codes? Not likely.

Virtually every jurisdiction in the United States now uses  the International Residential Code published by the International Codes Council. There are usually local amendments when the IRC is adopted, but it's highly unlikely that any of those would affect a detached garage.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 07:42:15 AM »
Anywhere from $1 to $1 billion.

Labor rates vary.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 08:49:20 AM »
Whatever size you are contemplating,  it's not big enough.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 08:53:50 AM »
Anywhere from $1 to $1 billion.

Labor rates vary.

You should not be a contestant on The Price is Right.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 08:55:27 AM »
Whatever size you are contemplating,  it's not big enough.

Truth.

Mine is 25'x25' which is plenty big enough for two cars to park in there with the doors open, but once we started adding bikes, kid's toys, lawn equipment, etc., it feels like I should have gone 10 feet deeper.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?