Author Topic: Is your portable generator killing you?  (Read 650 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Is your portable generator killing you?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 08:38:18 AM »
In a power outage, my generator will sit next to the outdoor breaker box that is wired to take it. I have a three-sided plywood enclosure that will go over it for rain/snow protection, and also as a sound buffer, because it's a loud SOB.

For the Winter, I started parking my tractor in the shop, but I just realized I need to back it in, because the exhaust blows out the front, so in very cold weather, where I'm high idling it for 5-10 minutes till it warms up, it's blowing exhaust directly into the shop even though the rollup door is open.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 10:47:50 AM »
I have considered erecting a shed for my portable generator and then piping the exhaust through the exterior wall to the outdoors.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 12:10:03 PM »
See Mike Irwin's signature.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 12:41:02 PM »
Interesting read.

While I didn't think keeping the typical hinged single door (the kind people use  ;) ) open would provide enough ventilation to run a generator in the garage, from the article even keeping the large garage door open is insufficient - and that's typically an opening at least 7' tall and 16' wide.

A former neighbor ran a generator in his basement. BUT . . . he was a professional HVAC engineer who ran the systems in a large commercial building, and he plumbed separate air intake and exhaust pipes himself, careful to be sure of good draw and separation to keep from recycling fumes. Had industrial grade valves on both intake and exhaust, and had an industrial CO detector "just in case." He never had a problem. (He said he was more concerned with gasoline vapor than CO, so he had additional venting of some sort in that room.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 12:45:34 PM »
Mine is relatively quiet and I run it out on the rear deck of my house when I need it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 02:20:29 PM »
Had a CO poisoning in the area here recently. Guy was working on rehabbing a house and had a gen going...

Inside.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 02:32:53 PM »
When I first started working as an EMT and then a paramedic, that was the height of Vietnamese resettlement to the Seattle area, after the fall of Saigon.  Until there was better outreach and education to the Vietnamese community, there were several carbon monoxide poisonings every winter by people trying to stay warm by burning charcoal in a hibachi inside.  One of the local hospitals has a large hyperbaric oxygen chamber, and they really got a workout during those winters.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 02:27:10 AM »
https://www.npr.org/2019/12/04/784279242/carbon-monoxide-poisoning-from-portable-generators-proves-predictable-and-deadly?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_term=nprnews&utm_campaign=npr&fbclid=IwAR2OuZan_0bZhEEnatPGIP_IuDcYGNlSXb_P5xoRNWEPCTVwe5iI9axmUwI

It can still kill you if you are running it in the garage with an open door.

No *expletive deleted*it, Sherlock.

It says that very thing in the instructions on the generator.  And usually on a sticker on the generator.  NPR is on the bleeding edge of investigative journalism here.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 08:45:05 AM »
Your generator might kill you but atleast you can go out with some lights on.
What we have here is failure to communicate.