Author Topic: Maybe we should keep taking low dose aspirin after all  (Read 1759 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Maybe we should keep taking low dose aspirin after all
« on: December 04, 2019, 07:17:53 PM »
https://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/news/20191204/low-dose-aspirin-might-cut-cancer-risk-especially-for-overweight-people?src=RSS_PUBLIC#1

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2756258

A little while back, I posted on some studies on how low-dose aspirin does not have much, if any protective effect against cardiac events in people without heart disease. This bummed me out since I have been taking low dose aspirin daily for years for exactly this reason plus protective effects against colo-rectal cancer.  So now comes an interesting study reporting that low dose aspirin is associated with lower mortality from all causes and certain types of cancers. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Maybe we should keep taking low dose aspirin after all
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 07:21:48 PM »
Can you get it bacon flavor/infused?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 07:38:42 PM »
https://youtu.be/KlKEbsDj8K0 (0:24)

"Science rocks on." --P. L. Aciebeau, PhD, MD, LLD, OD, ID, PD

Caveterry hides
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 08:36:48 PM by 230RN »

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 01:07:56 AM »
From all the studies that I've seen in the last 10 years or so, you might be better off skipping the various drugs, and not being fat.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 07:42:52 AM »
I take a full aspirin every day. Mainly because I'm too cheap to pay the ridiculous price being asked for low dose tabs, and I'm too lazy to split the full tablets into quarters.

I take it primarily because I have Factor V Leiden.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 08:44:20 AM »
I take a full aspirin every day. Mainly because I'm too cheap to pay the ridiculous price being asked for low dose tabs, and I'm too lazy to split the full tablets into quarters.

My doctor talked about me taking them a few years ago and was recommending children's aspirin. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 08:47:10 AM »

What is "low dose".  last time I bought all I could find in the corner of Walmart I was checking was itty bitty little ~85mg aspirins.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 09:28:27 AM »
What is "low dose".  last time I bought all I could find in the corner of Walmart I was checking was itty bitty little ~85mg aspirins.

That is exactly it.  It is usually sold as enteric-coated 81 mg. aspirin tablets.  I buy the bulk bottle of 500 at Target or Walmart, and that lasts me about a year and a half.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 10:30:54 AM »
I just use a pill cutter and cut regulars into quarters in about a biweekly session.  The cut quarters go into a separate little bottle.  Sometimes they're a little inaccurate (maybe20%-30% per hunk) but it averages out.  There's not all that much powdered wastage.

I could sure tell if I took too much aspirin (for arthritis) in the past by the ringing in my ears, bloodshot eyes, visual "floaters", slight dulling of thinking, mild nosebleeds (though a lot of that is due to the dry air).

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 10:50:06 AM »
Especially if you are prone to having a heart attack, it is a good idea to have some of the full size (325 mg) aspirin tablets on hand.  If you are having a heart attack, you should chew up one of the full size tablets and wash it down with a glass of water while you are waiting for EMS to arrive.  Swallowing the full size tablet, swallowing an enteric-coated tablet, or swallowing four of the low-dose enteric coated aspirin does not get it into the bloodstream quickly enough to help if you are having a heart attack. 

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/does-aspirin-stop-a-heart-attack

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 04:29:48 PM »
My Doc switched me to "big boy" aspirin from the Low Dose type.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 08:57:12 PM »
Especially if you are prone to having a heart attack, it is a good idea to have some of the full size (325 mg) aspirin tablets on hand.  If you are having a heart attack, you should chew up one of the full size tablets and wash it down with a glass of water while you are waiting for EMS to arrive.  Swallowing the full size tablet, swallowing an enteric-coated tablet, or swallowing four of the low-dose enteric coated aspirin does not get it into the bloodstream quickly enough to help if you are having a heart attack.  

Keeping one (or more) of these around might help, too.  They come in various sizes, and are available from several outlets including Walgreen's.  I got mine from the King Soopers (Kroger, City Market) pharmacy.  There are other brands, too.

https://www.boostoxygen.com/

They're kind of problematic to open (to tear off the plastic wrap) so I partially opened mine and used a red magic marker to indicate where to grab it.

I am not recommending this, only suggesting it as a possibility.

Posssibly useful for other things, too, like an escape O2 supply in a fire or in clouds of dust with a building collapse.

E.g., 9/11:

Terry, 230RN

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2019, 01:47:57 AM »
Posssibly useful for other things, too, like an escape O2 supply in a fire or in clouds of dust with a building collapse.

Perhaps better than asphyxiation, but I would be *very* careful about triggering an open supply of O2 in a fire.  some kind of canned air would be a lot better. The purpose built Emergency Escape Breathing Device's that I've used all have some way to contain the oxygen, or use compressed air.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2019, 09:46:35 AM »
Thanks for the caution.

The funny-looking top on the can is sort of a gas mask and seals around the mouth if you don't have facial hair.  You can breathe in through your mouth and out through your nose.

Balancing the risks, as you did, I think I'd take my chances on exhaling "used" air perhaps containing some extra oxygen and being able to get out of Dodge.

The trigger valve on it releases gas only when held down.  Hey, I'm not recommending any use for it besides what's in their literature, though, just blue-skying. 

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 07:37:30 PM »
Especially if you are prone to having a heart attack, it is a good idea to have some of the full size (325 mg) aspirin tablets on hand.  If you are having a heart attack, you should chew up one of the full size tablets and wash it down with a glass of water while you are waiting for EMS to arrive.  Swallowing the full size tablet, swallowing an enteric-coated tablet, or swallowing four of the low-dose enteric coated aspirin does not get it into the bloodstream quickly enough to help if you are having a heart attack. 

I keep a bottle of chewable 82 mg tablets on my bed table.  I don't take them daily, they're just there in case I have a heart attack at night.  I couldn't find the 325 mg size in chewable, so I'll take four 82s.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2019, 07:51:50 PM »
Perhaps better than asphyxiation, but I would be *very* careful about triggering an open supply of O2 in a fire.  some kind of canned air would be a lot better. The purpose built Emergency Escape Breathing Device's that I've used all have some way to contain the oxygen, or use compressed air.

The Boost Oxygen canisters don't just dump the oxygen. Notice the trigger on the left side of the green cap, let go of the trigger and it stops the flow. It's also got a mouthpiece that directs it directly into your mouth.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

230RN

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2019, 09:06:06 PM »
The Boost Oxygen canisters don't just dump the oxygen. Notice the trigger on the left side of the green cap, let go of the trigger and it stops the flow. It's also got a mouthpiece that directs it directly into your mouth.

Yes, thanks for confirming that for me.

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=61432.msg1233649#msg1233649