Author Topic: You should not buy your significant other a Peloton exercise bicycle  (Read 1141 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
https://www.npr.org/2019/12/03/784553273/pelotons-holiday-ad-prompts-cries-of-sexism-and-body-shaming

I had seen the commercial for a Peloton bicycle as a Christmas gift, and being a bicyclist, paid close attention to it.  I thought that is one nice exercise bike, but I think it is overpriced at $ 2K.  I now realize, after hearing the NPR story above, and seeing the segment on the NBC evening news tonight, that I was not sufficiently tuned into the hidden subtext of the commercial.  I am insufficiently woke.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: You should not buy your significant other a Peloton exercise bicycle
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 09:36:50 PM »
You haven't figured this out yet?

You: Would you like to go to the gym?

Any Female: Why, do you think I am fat?

You: Would you like some more fries?

Any Female: Why, do you think I am skinny or just a pig?

and so on and so on. 

Wokeness has nothing to do with it I am afraid. It just is.  =|

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 09:45:03 PM »
When I went to the gym, I knew a lot of women there who would think it was an awesome gift, but they were the 0500 "wanted to go to the gym" vs "had to go to the gym" crowd, so fitness was a positive thing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 10:16:43 PM »
Heck, I would think it is an awesome gift, but I am happy with my trusty Schwinn Air Dyne.  Plus, I read that if you really want to be able to use the Peloton, you have to sign up for a $40/month subscription to be able to take classes, do the video race courses, and compare your performance to others.  Without the subscription, the bike is kind of a brick, albeit a very well-made brick of an exercise bike.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 11:53:28 PM »
Point in the first:  If I am on sufficiently intimate terms with someone to buy them a $2000 piece of exercise equipment, I think I am likely a better judge of weather they want, will use, or appreciate it then NPR and the gender studies major working at Jamba Juice.  Thanks.  In point of fact I DID buy my wife a fancy piece of exercise equipment for Christmas this year*.

Point in the second: I am just about done with the polite smile and nod at the pro cardiovascular disease body positivity movement.  Yes, there is a wide range of healthy and beautiful body types in the human race.  No, you are not in that range.  No, you are not beautiful at ANY weight. No, that is not healthy. And since you seem determined to make me pay for the long term health costs of your diabetes, heart disease, joint damage, and overall bad health, to the very bitter end of $200,000 a day ICU care, put down the Slurpee and get on the *expletive deleted*ing Peloton.

Point in the third:  Stop gas-lighting every *expletive deleted*ing male in the country because your freshman year sociology prof had some bad dates on Plenty of Fish.  My wife is an intelligent, beautiful, strong woman with several degrees.  She is perfectly capable of telling me if she feels my behavior is unacceptable (trust me).  Neither of us need, or want, the woke crowd's Cosmo-like snarky nitpicking on "what men do wrong" trying to wiggle into our house.  We at least had some years to get stable before you loons went off the deep end.  How is a couple in their 20's right now supposed to build any kind of trusting relationship with "woke" following them around like a chain-smoking, divorced aunt at Thanksgiving telling them the male is wrong.

*expletive deleted*ck.  Right. Off.

*By "buy her for Christmas" I mean she found the new Garmin running watch she wants on a Black Friday sale, cashed in some Credit Card points, and told me she had gotten it so I didn't think the rest of the cost was credit card fraud.  She's bought me a customized Kimber for Christmas, I just need to tell her.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 07:30:02 AM »
Peak first world problems.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 07:34:41 AM »
I just watched the commercial- I can't find a single thing wrong with it, its actually pretty wholesome.

The commercials that I do find really annoying are the Lexus Christmas commercials. Weirdly, feministas find nothing wrong with getting a $50,000 car for a gift.

Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 08:02:52 AM »
I just watched the commercial- I can't find a single thing wrong with it, its actually pretty wholesome.

The commercials that I do find really annoying are the Lexus Christmas commercials. Weirdly, feministas find nothing wrong with getting a $50,000 car for a gift.

Other than the woman being obsessed with the instagram life of filming her every moment, I'd say it was fine.

The segments of our society that work to ensure that men can't make women feel bad for their choices, ever, is just spouting off because this might be construed as a man telling his wife she needs to workout.1

And that's a hateful, evil thing to do. How dare a man be interested in his wife staying fit!?!?

1:  (See the "parody" of the woman getting angry and divorcing her husband about exactly that.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 08:14:41 AM »

Point in the third:  Stop gas-lighting every *expletive deleted*ing male in the country because your freshman year sociology prof had some bad dates on Plenty of Fish.  My wife is an intelligent, beautiful, strong woman with several degrees.  She is perfectly capable of telling me if she feels my behavior is unacceptable (trust me).  Neither of us need, or want, the woke crowd's Cosmo-like snarky nitpicking on "what men do wrong" trying to wiggle into our house.  We at least had some years to get stable before you loons went off the deep end.  How is a couple in their 20's right now supposed to build any kind of trusting relationship with "woke" following them around like a chain-smoking, divorced aunt at Thanksgiving telling them the male is wrong.

*expletive deleted*ck.  Right. Off.

That needs to go into the APS top ten rants hall of fame. Well done.  :laugh:  [insert thumbs up emoji if we had one]
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 08:52:06 AM »
That needs to go into the APS top ten rants hall of fame. Well done.  :laugh:  [insert thumbs up emoji if we had one]

Actually the whole entirety of that post was on point.

Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 11:54:49 AM »
Peleton has snapped back at the snappers...

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/04/peloton-says-its-disappointed-in-how-some-have-misinterpreted-ad.html

Essentially politely telling them they're dumbasses. Wish they just would have come out and said exactly that. Why companies feel the need to softshoe their responses to outlier groups like this pisses me off.

The SJWers were accusing the comapany of classism... Are they screeching the same thing about Mercedes or Lexus ads?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 03:28:57 PM »
Between the angry response to this ad, and the angry response to the angry response, I'm starting to suspect some people just want to be angry.
 :-*
My wife and I both happened to see the ad and responded with a soft chuckle at most. We both thought it was just kind of weird and probably very expensive.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 08:32:01 AM »
I can't imagine a husband would get their wife a $2000 piece of exercise equipment without some idea that she actually wanted one. 

It is sort of like the stupid truck commercial where the guy buys a truck for him and an SUV for her and she takes the truck. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2019, 08:43:09 AM »
I can't imagine a husband would get their wife a $2000 piece of exercise equipment without some idea that she actually wanted one. 

It is sort of like the stupid truck commercial where the guy buys a truck for him and an SUV for her and she takes the truck. 

I bought my wife a $500 spa certificate last year, and its something she had never hinted at.
SJW/feminist shitheads (but I repeat myself) would have claimed that I was degrading her by buying something of a beauty service.
She absolutley loved it- she got a massage, got her nails done a few times, and got her hair done.

Barack Obama