Author Topic: I am Russian collusion...  (Read 3828 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I am Russian collusion...
« on: December 07, 2019, 08:47:24 AM »
at least in the kitchen.

Going to try making my hand at borscht this weekend. Got a shipment of really nice looking beets that should go very well. Going to use the turkey legs and thighs left over from Thanksgiving to make the stock. After that, it's assembling a vegetable soup, really.

This is the recipe I'm going to use: http://picturetherecipe.com/recipes/beet-and-chicken-soup-borscht/

For those of you who hate beets, start screaming about "TASTES LIKE DIRT!" now...  :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: I am Russian collusion...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 09:12:18 AM »
Wife and I went to a Ukrainian restaurant/deli in Minneapolis for lunch on Mothers Day.  Among other things, I had a cup of borscht.  It was good!  I should have ordered a bowl of it.  It didn't really taste like beets (dirt), it tasted more like beef.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 12:08:31 AM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 11:07:36 AM »
Going to use the turkey legs and thighs left over from Thanksgiving

???  Those are the first things to go when we cook turkey or chicken.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 02:24:29 PM »
???  Those are the first things to do when we cook turkey or chicken.

There's supposed to be a duck in there too.

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 12:05:55 AM »
So ... turducken for Thanksgiving?   :P

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 07:31:08 AM »
Incredible soup.

I used this recipe: http://picturetherecipe.com/recipes/beet-and-chicken-soup-borscht/

I omitted the carrots (don't much care for them in soup) and forgot the vinegar and lemon juice and didn't have fresh dill, but even so, extremely satisfying bowl of soup on a cold winter evening.

The reason I had legs and thighs is that apparently very few of the people at T-giving dinner eat dark meat, so I had three legs and thighs with a lot of meat left on them. I boiled them long enough to loosen the meat, then pulled the meat from the bones and shredded it, then put the bones back in the stock and let it go for another couple of hours.

It gelled up beautifully and made for a fantastic base for the borscht.

This is going to be a regular on my winter menu from now on.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 05:58:24 AM »
Did you use the sour cream on top?  I find that to be critical in eating borscht.

I didn't think I liked it until I visited Russia in 94.  Then I discovered it was much better than the description "beet soup" would imply.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 07:41:34 AM »
Yes, most definitely I used the sour cream. I even bought full fat sour cream for the first time in years. Given that the soup itself is so healthy, I figured a bit of extra fat from the real sour cream wouldn't break that.

I had it for dinner again last night, and the recipes are right... it's much better the next day. I have some for lunch today; I'll be interested in seeing if it's even better still.

The next time I make it I think I'm going to go more traditional and make a beef stock.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 07:42:49 AM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 07:50:35 AM »
The only problem with peeling and cutting that many beets in my kitchen (I basically doubled the amount of beets called for in the recipe) is that when I was done it looked like I had slaughtered a hippy.

I used my V slicer with the julienne blade. That made things go a LOT faster and made all the veggies a uniform size.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 09:31:18 AM »

Just realized that you linked in a photo...  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I missed that also.  Totally deflates my turducken gag since I wasn't first.   :lol: