Author Topic: New Record Highs for Background Checks  (Read 1105 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: New Record Highs for Background Checks
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 11:53:18 PM »
And this is with very few Federal background checks being done in WA state, with the passage of I 1639 the state owns the background check system for anything but "other" weapons and I would bet their recordkeeping sucks as bad as their ability to do a speedy background check.

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 12:19:44 AM »
I have heard that some states are rechecking all their concealed permit holders monthly so not all of these record months are actual purchases.  I still think purchases are the majority.

I am doing my part to add to the totals.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 08:42:49 AM »
And this is with very few Federal background checks being done in WA state, with the passage of I 1639 the state owns the background check system for anything but "other" weapons and I would bet their recordkeeping sucks as bad as their ability to do a speedy background check.

bob

Yeah - with a CCW permit, I don't have to go through a background check at the store, and I know other states have the same deal. Seems that would be a significant amount of guns not counted (which is probably a good thing).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 10:26:19 AM »
Yeah - with a CCW permit, I don't have to go through a background check at the store, and I know other states have the same deal. Seems that would be a significant amount of guns not counted (which is probably a good thing).

Prior to 1639 in WA if you had/have a CCW they would do the background check through NICS and you could leave with your gun, now you can't. They have up to 10 days to approve the sale and there is no taking it early if the check does not get done within those 10 days. The only cash and carry is now "other" which is essentially lowers. Also no semi-automatic rifles (assault weapons like a Marlin 60) to anyone under 21. WA has become Bloomberg's testing ground.

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 10:44:34 AM »
^^^I just picked up my M17 from the LGS after the 10 day waiting period.  I hope we can restore some sort of instant background check in Washington.  The legislature is pondering having this done by the Washington State Patrol but of course funding is an issue.  If they do create such a system, I want it accessible for private citizens doing private transfers; no more going through a FFL.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 12:31:45 PM »
^^^I just picked up my M17 from the LGS after the 10 day waiting period. 

Welcome to Washingfornia.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 04:35:42 PM »
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/houston-police-say-over-2000-gun-stolen-from-cars-this-year-a-21-jump/?utm_source=wideopen&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=wos_daily&utm_content=%5B%5Brssitem_title%5D%5D
Houston Police Say Over 2000 Gun Stolen From Cars This Year, a 21% Jump

So which of the many gun laws we have will actually recover those 2000 guns? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 09:44:43 AM »
I have heard that some states are rechecking all their concealed permit holders monthly so not all of these record months are actual purchases.  I still think purchases are the majority.

I am doing my part to add to the totals.   =D

Yes, I think KY does this...

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 09:46:08 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes