Author Topic: Seafood salad dilemma  (Read 3501 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Seafood salad dilemma
« on: December 20, 2019, 11:15:29 PM »
I am (or was) a seafood salad devotee. There used to be a chain of pita sandwich places that made great seafood salad pitas. They're gone. Subway used to offer very good seafood salad subs -- discontinued. My local supermarket for years sold pre-made seafood salad that was really good, and they also sell pita bread, so I was happily back in seafood pita land -- until about six weeks ago.

Suddenly, there was no seafood salad to be had, for about a month. Then it was back, and I celebrated -- until I made my first sandwich. I almost gagged. Totally different recipe, full of garlic and other contaminants that have no place in seafood salad. It was so bad I tossed the tub into the trash.

The other day I was happy to find seafood salad at Walmart, of all places. And ... no garlic, so I thought it should be safe. Alas, I was wrong again. No garlic in it, but dill. LOTS of dill. This dreck is nearly as inedible as the stuff from the stupidmarket. So the question is:

What are the chances that I could rescue it by putting it in a colander, washing it down with cold water to remove as much of the extraneous seasonings as possible, and then making it back into seafood salad with new mayonnaise and perhaps a very small splash of lemon juice? It's too horrible to eat the way it is, so what have I got to lose ... right?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Seafood salad dilemma
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 01:32:17 AM »
It's worth a try.  A little dill should be good, and you're not going to be able to get all of it off.

You probably need to figure out how to make it yourself.  (is it tuna, fake crab meat, or real crab meat?)
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 02:36:27 AM »
The one from the stupidmarket was imitation crab. The one from Walmart is imitation crab and real shrimp.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 02:22:37 PM »
I guess it is safe, but I have developed a real aversion to mayo and onion salads I didn't make myself. And I love tuna, seafood, egg, and chicken salads.

I used to have a love affair with the Subway seafood sub. Jalapenos, hot sauce, pickles, bacon and old Bay on top. Invented new colors on the outbound leg of that meal. About every 5 years I would get horrific food poisoning from that delight, swear off for about 3.5 years, repeat.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 03:14:14 AM »
Update: It was a valiant effort, but the experiment failed.

I dumped the container of seafood salad into the colander and made two passes pouring a saucepan full of boiling water over it. That got the old mayonnaise off and took much of the dill seeds away -- but, alas, not enough. I mixed the seafood up with some fresh mayonnaise, left it in the refrigerator overnight, and made a pita sandwich with it the next day.

It was barely tolerable enough that I was able to finish the sandwich ... but I won't make another one. I need to find a good recipe for seafood salad that lets me taste the seafood rather than overpowering it with garlic or dill.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 09:23:57 AM »
This recipe looks like what you're describing.  Just leave out the dill or substitute parsley.  https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/seafood-salad/  I would probably add just a little sugar or sweet relish, to taste.  But the krab might be sweet enough without it.

When I make deviled eggs, tuna salad, chicken salad, etc, (no recipe, just wing it) I mix in real mayo until it's almost there, then a little Miracle Whip to loosen it up and add some tangy sweetness.  It's my only use for real mayonnaise.  I hate mayo by itself on a sandwich, and don't know why.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 08:03:26 PM »
This recipe looks like what you're describing.  Just leave out the dill or substitute parsley.  https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/seafood-salad/  I would probably add just a little sugar or sweet relish, to taste.  But the krab might be sweet enough without it.

I would also have to leave out the red onion and Old Bay seasoning. Chopped celery (a little) and a splash of lemon juice should do it.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 09:18:45 PM »
I would also have to leave out the red onion and Old Bay seasoning. Chopped celery (a little) and a splash of lemon juice should do it.

Okay.  I thought you said you liek Old Bay.  Anyway, it looks like a decent recipe.  I never actually follow a recipe unless I'm baking a cake or cookies.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 01:51:16 AM »
Okay.  I thought you said you liek Old Bay. 

That was French G.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 11:44:18 AM »

You probably need to figure out how to make it yourself.  (is it tuna, fake crab meat, or real crab meat?)

First try ==> not bad at all.

One package of imitation crab, one package of imitation lobster. Chop into small bits. Add Hellman's real mayonnaise, a small splash of lemon juice, and a (very) small shake on Italian seasoning. The texture isn't the same as the old store-bought seafood salad, but it's quite tasty.