Author Topic: I can't believe...  (Read 1747 times)

Dannyboy

• friend
I can't believe...
« on: February 27, 2007, 05:49:15 PM »
That nobody has posted about LTC(ret) Bruce Crandall being awarded the Medal of Honor today.  Most of us here have read We Were Soldiers Once, and Young or seen the movie We Were Soldiers, so most of us should recognize the name.  If you don't, look him up.  The man is a true hero.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
Re: I can't believe...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 07:32:32 PM »
and his co-pilot got the MOH several years earlier.

Both badasses.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 12:31:36 AM »
Thanks Danny, I copied this letter home from him to his family. It still rings true today...

We over here read a lot about the student demonstrations and the parades against our government policy here in Vietnam. It is disgusting to us who are professional soldiers but it is particularly tough on the draftees and the first hitch men who are with us. We know what we are doing is right and as far as the U.S. soldier committing crimes against the local population that is absolute rubbish. Our GIs give up their own medicine and often their own gear to help the unfortunate local civilians who are caught in the middle of this miserable mess. As often as not the aid given these unfortunates end up in the hands of the V.C. and being used against us. Only in a country where we have men such as these over here, who are willing to fight and die for the privileges of freedom of speech, freedom of thought and freedom to express your political views as you see fit; could parades and demonstrations such as have been taking place in the U.S. occur. These young folks are either stupid to not see these obvious truths or we have a stronger communist movement in the U.S. then we suspected.

Death is not something I fear nor do I fear this for my men. What I do fear is wasted death for a young American who doesnt appreciate the wonderful land they live in. If we teach our sons nothing in their life times but the real value of being born and raised in a country where they have the opportunity to better themselves and the live as they see fit then we will have succeeded far better than the parents of many of our young people today.

I wonder whatever became of the patriotism and honor of the American youth of yesterday. It is time for the true picture to be shown and for the majority of young people to make their voices heard. I know in my heart that most American youth believe in their good fortune to be Americans but they do not demonstrate nor are they loud and obvious in their gratitude. They do not counter the impression of unrest and dissatisfaction shown by the small minority of fanatics. I am not in a position to judge the youth of America today, but if I were, I would find both the fanatic and the quiet wanting. It is just as great a sin to sit by and do nothing as it is to join in whole heartedly on the wrong side.

Those who create this picture of unrest are extending the length of the war in this country. By allowing civil unrest in the U.S. we are receiving unfavorable publicity in foreign presses and the communist are gaining more strength in the organizations which support this program in the U.S.

I hope none of my sons ever have to fight a war but if they must to preserve the freedom and way of life of our people, I hope they fight with every ounce of their strength, fearlessly and willingly. It is not necessary to be blind  not to see nor deaf  not to hear.

Here is the link to the site:

http://www.xav8er.com/

Avoid cliches like the plague!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 03:12:55 AM »
280 I have to agree with the comment about ringing true today.  Even though the public protests against the soldiers are not as large everything else stated in that letter is almost exactly parallel to what is happening today over here in Iraq.  We help as much as we can but then it is pisses you off to see your own type of equipment used against you.  Plus even buying things from the local merchants you have to wonder how much of the money goes to the same people who are trying to kill us.  But then again I to am over here today hoping that my children or thier children will not have to come back over here themselves.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 03:28:11 AM »
Do you see any solution toward keeping their hands off our weapons? Are these captured weapons they are using or are they able to aquire them from other places?

I can't express in words the kind of credit I give you guys for standing up like you are and it still pisses me off that I can't be there myself, not because I want to go off to war and play play with guns and do battle and all but because I would like the honor of being able to say I served side by side with the likes of all of you. [/soapbox]  grin

Oh,
Even though the public protests against the soldiers are not as large
That's because every damn Vet here is doing all they can to nip that crap in the bud. We're not going to ever let that happen again. Not the way it did back then.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 06:03:13 AM »
The issue is not so much with the weapons as it is with other equipment.  The AK is still the main weapon of choice for most of the people over here.  But they do have a knack of getting their hands on CF uniforms, vehicles, and other things of the like.  Just about anything to try and gain access to a FOB.

Just keep the cigars coming and that will be doing your part. grin
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 09:18:27 AM »
Not a problem!  grin