Author Topic: New Year's Dinner? What are you making?  (Read 3589 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
New Year's Dinner? What are you making?
« on: December 31, 2019, 11:51:39 AM »
I was going to bake a ham, but I had ham on Christmas Eve... and Christmas day, so I'm going to butterfly roll and stuff a pork loin.

The stuffing will be chopped apples, sauteed onions, garlic, sage, rosemary, possibly some dried mango soaked in brandy, and bread crumbs. I'll probably add some mustard just to give it some wetness. Then I'll cover the outside in brown sugar and mustard.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: New Year's Dinner? What are you making?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 12:03:24 PM »
Black-eyed peas, to remember my superstitious great Aunt Mary from East Texas. (traditionally I should fix greens or cabbage to go with them, but she never did so I won't)  But I haven't figured out exactly how yet.  I have frozen and dried; a few weeks ago I had some canned ones that I added to sauteed onions, celery, and dried chipotle peppers and they were awesome (and I don't like BEPs all that much), so I might do the same thing with the frozen to get them out of the freezer.

A few years ago I made BEP falafel for New Years Day and they were pretty good.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 12:29:36 PM »
Wearing a tuxedo tonight, probably something not messy. I'm trying to convince the wife to go out for dinner before all the parties, she doesn't want to because she is afraid she'll mess her dress up. I said don't order the soup or spaghetti.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 12:54:32 PM »
Wearing a tuxedo tonight, probably something not messy. I'm trying to convince the wife to go out for dinner before all the parties, she doesn't want to because she is afraid she'll mess her dress up. I said don't order the soup or spaghetti.

Order the barbecued half-a-chicken, with lots of sauce.  It's fabulous!  :D
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 04:26:00 PM »
Schnitzel in mushroom sauce, Semmel Knodel, Rote Kole, and Schwarzbier. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 04:48:13 PM »
I was going to do a pork roast, sauerkraut, and mashed potatoes. As fat would have it however I was pulled into plans involving ham and black eyed peas. So original menu shall be shelved till the morrow

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 07:56:44 PM »
We had plans of cooking a big dinner but then I ended up spending all the evening of the 30th and most of the early morning of the 31st blowing chunks from a wicked stomach bug and only ate a handful of saltines yesterday and then last night as I was coming out of it my wife went into it so suffice to say not much eating has happened here lately
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 10:45:35 PM »
Both of us have been getting repeat bouts with bronchitis since the first of October.  Lynn got a cold on top of it a couple days back.  I put a couple frozen waffles in the toaster, threw some bacon in the microwave and welcomed the new year.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 11:36:25 PM »
I went with the frozen blackeyed peas.  I sauteed half an onion, some celery, and a sliced green onion in a bit of sausage grease and turkey fat.  Added a thinly sliced garlic clove, half a dried chipotle pepper (I was afraid a whole one would make it too hot for Wife to eat) and a bay leaf, and sauteed them too.  Then a 12 oz package from frozen BEPs, 1.5 cups of water, and some thyme and black pepper.  Simmered for about half an hour, then added a little salt.  Served with rice.  Aunt Mary would approve.

It was really good, and I don't particularly like blackeyed peas.  In a week or so, I will try the same thing with dried BEPs.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 07:33:50 AM »
Ugh... A friend's wife was hit by that stomach bug REALLY hard right after they got back from Christmas travel. I talked to him yesterday and he said she was finally able to hold thing down after two days of misery.

I made the stuffed pork loin. Turned out really well. And, happy of all happies, I found a quart of homemade sauerkraut in the back of the deep freeze! So, pork loin, sauerkraut, and mashed potatoes for dinner.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 09:27:19 AM »
I bought a turkey for Thanksgiving, and then we had to change our plans and go visit my family.

Then we were going to cook it for Christmas, but my wife's family did Christmas dinner.

So we had a smoked turkey. And now I have a week of leftover turkey sandwiches to look forward to.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 12:49:45 PM »
Black eyed peas with rice and other stuff (I don't do the cooking) that was really good, along with elk steaks cut thick and grilled to medium rare.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 01:05:12 PM »
"Black eyed peas with rice and other stuff"

MMMm.... I love me some good Hoppin' John!