Author Topic: Drop Dead and Go To Hell, Oregon!  (Read 4748 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Drop Dead and Go To Hell, Oregon!
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2020, 12:25:49 PM »
Disposable bags for food are safest.  Re-usable bags for groceries increase risk of food poisoning.  This is one reason I am opposed to plastic bag bans of any sort.  The other reason is that I despise the government micromanaging every detail of our lives.

You know you don't put the raw meat directly into the bag, right?  Also, the cloth/canvas bags can be washed.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2020, 01:48:15 PM »
Also, the cloth/canvas bags can be washed.

And what are the consequences of that to the environment?

If we're going to talk about how bad the plastic bags are, you need to take into account ALL the consequences from using the "reusable" bags.

If I recall correctly, to counterbalance to costs (environmental!) to produce/clean/etc.... the reusable bags, the bags would have be used over (I'm going on the low end here) 500 times. How likely do you think you're going to use that bag that many times? With a weekly trip to the store, we're talking 10 years of using the same bag....
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2020, 08:27:55 PM »
Save the bags and use them to start your tire fire.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2020, 09:56:01 PM »
Thank you.  $18.56 for 1000 of them with handles.  Have you tried them?  Are they strong enough to carry a gallon of milk, do you know?

Terry, 230RN

I bought a box of this brand last year and they are stronger than normal grocery story bags …  :cool:
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2020, 11:46:25 PM »
And what are the consequences of that to the environment?

If we're going to talk about how bad the plastic bags are, you need to take into account ALL the consequences from using the "reusable" bags.

If I recall correctly, to counterbalance to costs (environmental!) to produce/clean/etc.... the reusable bags, the bags would have be used over (I'm going on the low end here) 500 times. How likely do you think you're going to use that bag that many times? With a weekly trip to the store, we're talking 10 years of using the same bag....

I've never washed my reusable bags, I've had a few for over ten years. I also don't put unwrapped meat in them either from the butcher counter. I don't put my veggies in a plastic bag either in the produce section, figure all the all the mommas with snot nosed crotch fruits touch them at the store, so I rinse them at home before I consume them. So far I haven't caught dysentery.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2020, 02:47:23 AM »

I bought a box of this brand* last year and they are stronger than normal grocery store bags …  :cool:

Really good to know, and thanks !  When and if it ever comes down to it here in COmmierado, I'lll have a solution ready-to-go.

I think the environmental effects of the plastic bags at least as used by King Soopers (Kroger, City Market) is pretty minimal and is wayyy overblown.  We do have laws about covering trash in transit to the dump, after all.

I keep a wad of them in my car for various things and and I was surprised that they disintegrate all by themselves just from the heat in the car... not even in nice wet bio-rich soil.  Just in air and heat and light in the back of my station wagon.

I don't know about grocery bags hanging in trees... maybe one or two after a high wind or something along with other windblown junk, but not normally and certainly not as routinely as implied.  I hate to offend anyone but I'm about ready to call BS on that one.  Or maybe just "exaggeration for the sake of a good story."

Yeah, that's the ticket.  Triggered by one, told to be ten.

Thanks again, Chester32141.

Terry, 230RN

*He's referring to these, in Reply #15:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Members-Mark-Black-T-Shirt-Carryout-Bags-1-000-ct-Best-Plastic-Quality/352552845005?epid=17034146429&hash=item5215c97ecd:g:AEEAAO
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 03:08:38 AM by 230RN »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2020, 07:58:19 AM »
For the record I really don't want the bags banned, just tired of cleaning them up in my yard and pond.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2020, 03:10:57 PM »
You know you don't put the raw meat directly into the bag, right?  Also, the cloth/canvas bags can be washed.

People aren't going to wash their reusable bags after every time they put their groceries in them.

And, as a result, plastic bag bans increase food-borne illnesses and related deaths.

That is what happened when San Francisco banned them:

https://law.utexas.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/klick_grocery_bags_and_foodborne_illness.pdf

Plastic bags are much safer.  

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2020, 11:24:03 AM »
^
I kind of suspected that on a "General Principles" kind of thing.

Take that, you do-gooder life-meddlers !

Of course, San Francisco has all kinds of germs floating around everywhere anyhow.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2020, 11:30:13 AM »
People aren't going to wash their reusable bags after every time they put their groceries in them.

And, as a result, plastic bag bans increase food-borne illnesses and related deaths.

That is what happened when San Francisco banned them:

https://law.utexas.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/klick_grocery_bags_and_foodborne_illness.pdf

Plastic bags are much safer.  

Was the numbers of food borne illnesses higher before plastic shopping bags? I remember then first coming out in the mid 80's in the grocery stores back home.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2020, 09:19:36 AM »
Was the numbers of food borne illnesses higher before plastic shopping bags? I remember then first coming out in the mid 80's in the grocery stores back home.

I don't know.

It spiked in SF and other cities after plastic bag bans though.

Including more people dying.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2020, 10:47:28 AM »
I don't know.

It spiked in SF and other cities after plastic bag bans though.

Including more people dying.

Well, it that really a bad thing?

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2020, 10:55:51 AM »
Plastic bags for groceries have to go.

I used to be po'd at "people" for seeing them littered around the roads and stuck in trees.

Then in dawned on me where they come from.

Garbage trucks. 

Can't tell you how many times Ive seen debris blowing out of a truck transporting garbage.
That sounds like a correctable problem with local politicians cared to do something about it.  I am confident plastic grocery bags were not the only trash blowing out.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2020, 10:56:41 AM »
If plastic shopping bags are outlawed, how the hell am I going to clean up when Seren takes a *expletive deleted*it?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2020, 11:05:38 AM »
^
Tough ***t, Mike.

The trouble is, these do-gooder life-meddlers seem to think what's good for them ought to be good for everybody.

So they run for public office so they can force everybody to do it "their way."

Hence Ben's thread title sentiment: "Drop dead and go to hell, Oregon."

Effing control freaks, is all they are.

Frankly, I'd rather we elect de-control freaks.

Sanitation and germiness and convenience aside, BTR kind of hit the nail on the head with:

The other reason is that I despise the government micromanaging every detail of our lives.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 11:39:51 AM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2020, 11:07:33 AM »
The plastic grocery/trash bags littering the whole country and filling up landfills are a classic example of the "tragedy of the commons".

Nobody wants to give up their convenience so the roadsides etc are littered with trash.

I use paper almost exclusively, it's biodegradable and is a renewable resource.
First, plastic grocery bags are not filling up our landfills.  They may have volume when blowing around, but they are thin and don't actually take up any space.  IMO, road sides littered with trash is a behavioral problem and won't be fixed by banning specific plastic things.  I agree that trash on the road sides looks bad.  I get stuff blown in my yard, but it is mostly napkins and little plastic food/candy wrappers, not the bags.  

I would like to see some comparisons on how long the paper and dyes last in a landfill versus the plastic bags.  Non-disposable and repairable materials would be a better choice.  From what others said they have to be cleaned and maintained which people won't always do.  That makes me wonder if they clean their kitchens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWbhhrRBHns
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2020, 11:18:21 AM »
As I mentioned, they seem to decay into little bitty pieces just sitting in the back of my station wagon with no moist soil or birds picking at them.  I was quite surprised when I first discovered that they were car-o-degradable.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2020, 11:23:52 AM »
Effing control freaks, is all they are.

And as with everything "they" stick their noses into (this, electric cars, CARB gas cans, etc.), it's always about the stick instead of the carrot. They could easily find ways to incentivize reusable bags, or do passive enforcement through education (not scolding education, but, "this is how X can make your life better/easier" education).

Instead, it's always bans, fines, and "The Earth will die in 10 years and you're making it happen!" crap.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2020, 12:13:15 PM »
As I mentioned, they seem to decay into little bitty pieces just sitting in the back of my station wagon with no moist soil or birds picking at them.  I was quite surprised when I first discovered that they were car-o-degradable.
I've seen the same thing.  I bet that is UV or heat related.  Might not break down as quickly buried in a low oxygen environment?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2020, 12:56:32 PM »
"I would like to see some comparisons on how long the paper and dyes last in a landfill versus the plastic bags."

What most people don't realize is that land fills, especially modern containment landfills, are more time capsule/item preservation than they are biodegradation zones.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2020, 01:00:07 PM »
What most people don't realize is that land fills, especially modern containment landfills, are more time capsule/item preservation than they are biodegradation zones.
When it makes financial sense they'll probably eventually become mines.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2020, 01:12:24 PM »
I've fantasied about archeologists 5000 years from now trying to identify some of the artifacts from one of today's dumps.

Probably most of them would be attributed to religious relics and papers (or the 7020AD equivalent thereof) would be published, and great scientific arguments about the real purpose of a burned-out 100 Watt light bulb would ensue.

"Nonsense !" parJarel shouted when he finished the latest theory on those curious glass relics.  "Why those lectrons would never be able to get up that spiral on the little end of the thing !  Modern mokides could, but those mythical lectrons?  Never !  Where did that idiot get his Hyperdoctorate degree anyway?"

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 01:43:32 PM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2020, 02:09:45 PM »
"Probably most of them would be attributed to religious relics and papers (or the 7020AD equivalent thereof) would be published, and great scientific arguments about the real purpose of a burned-out 100 Watt light bulb would ensue."

Ever read the humor book Motel of the Mysteries?

It's a book written from exactly that kind of point of view. It's extremely humorous what people thing things from the ancient civilization of Usa were used for.

Not sure if it's still in print, but it's well worth finding it: https://books.google.com/books/about/Motel_of_the_Mysteries.html?id=dO3vf15Gxd0C

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2020, 02:15:51 PM »
I kept thinking about how fun Motel of the Mysteries was... so I ordered it from Amazon.

$12.60 (price + tax), and here tomorrow.

I need another book like I need a hole in the head, but hey, maybe I can use pages torn out of the book and crumpled up to fill the hole in my head.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2020, 04:13:10 PM »
When it makes financial sense they'll probably eventually become mines.

I've often wondered about this very thing.  Could major landfills that have been on existence for a long time yield profitable amounts of useful materials?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.