Author Topic: 60 people treated after plane dumps jet fuel near several schools in LA area  (Read 3639 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
It’s pretty much Kerosene. So don’t drink it or get it in your eyes and it isn’t really that big of a deal.

This. Growing up on a farm/ranch you all but bathe in the stuff on a daily basis. Short of drinking it, the only real medical problem might be some type of contact dermatitis. Even getting it in your eyes isn't a terribly big deal. Stings a bit but that's about it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Correct.  Even if they’re not going to break the plane, though, braking power is a concern.  Getting it stopped in time to not set the brakes on fire and all that.
Fun fact:  most of our go-around are caused by or are B738/9 series because they use the same brakes as the rest of the series, have an absurdly high landing speed, and need more runway.  They miss a lot of high speeds or run down the guy in front of them and go around a lot.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Runway length is only part of the equation. Each aircraft has a maximum take-off weight and a maximum landing weight. For some, the maximum landing weight is significantly less than the maximum take-off weight. The reason is usually the concern that the undercarriage isn't robust enough to handle that amount of weight if the landing is at all rough.

Flys320s, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct.  We can land over weight, but our takeoff weight isn't too much higher than our landing weight.  170,000lbs vs 142,000 pounds.  Wide bodies have a much greater difference.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
Correct.  Even if they’re not going to break the plane, though, braking power is a concern.  Getting it stopped in time to not set the brakes on fire and all that.
Fun fact:  most of our go-around are caused by or are B738/9 series because they use the same brakes as the rest of the series, have an absurdly high landing speed, and need more runway.  They miss a lot of high speeds or run down the guy in front of them and go around a lot.

You sure it isn't just Southwest pilots flying too fast?   =D :rofl:

Hawkmoon

• friend
Correct.  We can land over weight, but our takeoff weight isn't too much higher than our landing weight.  170,000lbs vs 142,000 pounds.  Wide bodies have a much greater difference.

Out of curiosity, how often do you actually take off at (or pretty close to) maximum takeoff weight?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• friend
You sure it isn't just Southwest pilots flying too fast?   =D :rofl:

Nah they would just say *expletive deleted*ck it and try to land with traffic on the rwy
UAL and AAL mostly
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fly320s

• friend
Out of curiosity, how often do you actually take off at (or pretty close to) maximum takeoff weight?

Not very often.  East coast to west coast flights are close to max weight of fuel, so with a full load of passengers we are pushing max takeoff weight.  Basically, only the long flights get close MTOW.  I've had plenty of flights where my takeoff weight was already below max landing weight.  And then there have been a few flights where we were under MTOW, but because it was a short flight, we were close to or even over max landing weight as we approached our destination.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Knew this was coming
Doesn't matter not one was hurt when there's money to be had

California teachers sue after jetliner dumps fuel on schools
https://www.wave3.com/2020/01/18/california-teachers-sue-after-jetliner-dumps-fuel-schools/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
Knew this was coming
Doesn't matter not one was hurt when there's money to be had

California teachers sue after jetliner dumps fuel on schools
https://www.wave3.com/2020/01/18/california-teachers-sue-after-jetliner-dumps-fuel-schools/

Doesn't Gloria Allred have anything more important to do right now -- like sit in on Harvey Weinstein's trial?

Look at the faces on those teachers. They must have practiced those expressions in front of a mirror for hours.

Jamisjockey

• friend
Not very often.  East coast to west coast flights are close to max weight of fuel, so with a full load of passengers we are pushing max takeoff weight.  Basically, only the long flights get close MTOW.  I've had plenty of flights where my takeoff weight was already below max landing weight.  And then there have been a few flights where we were under MTOW, but because it was a short flight, we were close to or even over max landing weight as we approached our destination.

As a side note, UCA is terrible about not being at a safe landing weight.  They won't even take shortcuts on their local flights now, because they end up burning fuel.
They have a flight from State College, PA that burns fuel almost every time it gets to IAD, often times they wait until they're in the *expletive deleted*ing downwind or even getting turned on to tell us.
JD

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
So how do you weigh a plane when it's in the air?

Asking for a friend.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Asking for a friend.

With a computer.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend

Asking for a friend.

You put the scale on a very tall pile of concrete blocks.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend

Asking for a friend.

Cl = 2L ÷ (r × V2 × A), where L is the lift, r is the density, V is the velocity and A is the wing area.

I am sure there is someway to correlate lift coefficient to plane weight. Then all you have to do is slow down until your lift is no longer sufficient to keep you in the air and go from there. ;)

or

It's the maths, you know how much you weigh before you go (well airlines really don't, they use a lower number for passenger weight than they should IMO) and the only thing you should be losing is the weight of the fuel. You keep track of how many pounds you burn and then you know about where you are for landing or at any time in the flight. JetA-1 weighs appx 6.6 pounds per gallon.

bob

« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 06:53:31 PM by BobR »

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
You put the scale on a very tall pile of concrete blocks.

Ah, yes, of course. On a flat, level, smooth uncarpeted surface.  I'll tell my friend.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 08:07:22 PM by 230RN »

zxcvbob

• friend
Treated for what, exactly?  Hysteria?  I'm sure it sucks to have kerosene misted on you, but it doesn't suck that much (unless maybe it's on fire)
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
Ah, yes, of course. On a flat, level, smooth uncarpeted surface.  I'll tell my friend.

Actually, you need to put the plane on a treadmill...…..

Fly320s

• friend
Actually, you need to put the plane on a treadmill...…..

But then it will never takeoff!!!!   :rofl: