Author Topic: Wood shop tools  (Read 943 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Wood shop tools
« on: January 15, 2020, 09:54:07 PM »
Swmbo wants new kitchen cabinets and has decided even with buying tools it's cheaper to have me make them than to just buy them.  Not sure what else I'll make, though an end grain butcher block is almost for certain going to be made.  I've made stuff as or more complicated than cabinets before but had to sell my wood shop tools during a move in 2007  :'(.  So I'm a bit out of the loop on what the high quality per $$ tools there are.  Previously for large, stationary tools I had almost or all Jet tools and was pretty happy with them.  Handheld were a mix of brands.

Looking for a planer, drill press, router table, maybe a jointer, maybe a band saw.  Already have a table saw, but need a better crosscut guide and a stacked dado blade set.  Also got a miter saw (sliding compound).

For hand held tools I'll probably want a handheld router, random orbit sander, maybe a belt sander.  Got finish and Brad nailers covered.  Already have a decent handheld drill/driver.

What say ye?  Not looking for anything really high end.  Best bang:buck ratio is my goal. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Wood shop tools
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 07:52:02 AM »
Porter Cable and DeWalt are probably what you're looking for hand tool wise.

Router table, Porter Cable or Bosch seem to be solid options.

The set piece power tools? Not a clue.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 08:26:18 AM »
For hand tools, DeWalt isn't what it used to be - I tried a DeWalt jigsaw a couple of years ago and it was a true POS. Though it wasn't in connection with woodworking, 80% Arms recommended against using B&D routers with their jigs due to poor tolerances.

Bosch still generally looks good, though some of their latest offerings don't seem to be quite as well thought out as those from a few years back.

Take a look at Festool if your budget allows - I saw demos at the Festool road show which impressed me.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 08:55:28 AM »
I've got.a Dewalt DW735 13" planer. It gets pretty good praise on reviews and YouTube videos. So far I've been very happy with it. It has an impressive dust/chip ejection system that will need some thought put into your collection process. I modded up a collector out of a basic 30 gallon plastic trash can. I cut a hole in the side and glued in a PVC fitting to accept the hose from the the dust port on the planer and added a PVC connector to the lid to accept a hose from a shop vac. As dust collection for my tables saw it works pretty OK.  With the Planer I don't need the  shop vac and I have to tie the lid down or the dust ejection blows the lid off. The planer used double edge replaceable blades. I'm still on the first edge of my first set of blades after about 150 or so board feet of rough sawn white oak, ash and yellow pine with a little wild cherry . I've had to empty my dust collection bin 6-7 times.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 10:39:20 AM »
Agree that DeWalt isn't what they used to be, but their 735 planer is still the best small planer available. For corded handheld tools I've gone with Bosch, no complaints. I've got a little Bosch Colt palm router that has gone through more than it ever should have and it still runs great. I ended up building a router table for it and bought another. Stationary tools, I'd look at Jet or Bailiegh.

Instead of buying a crosscut guide, make your own: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtwK9X8o1Gw
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 10:50:02 AM »
DeWalt is what it used to be but it's still okay for the hobbyist. Will likely last a lifetime if decently kept and not abused. I'd steer clear of Ryobi if you want something that will endure reasonably hard use. They've cut too many corners as of late.

If it were me, I'd likely go Makita. Judging solely by AvE's teardowns, they seem to be keeping up their quality.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 12:52:08 PM »
No first hand knowledge here but my wood working buddy still likes jet and also has some grizzly floor machines.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 01:33:38 PM »
For stationary tools, I like *old* Craftsman.  But I just have two; a table saw and a jointer-planer.

If you want a biscuit joiner, Dewalt makes a good one.  And Porter Cable makes good routers, but Hitachi, Bosch, and several others are probably just as good or better.

My experience with it is pretty old so might be out of date.
"It's good, though..."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 11:31:00 PM »
If you were close I have plenty of stuff for sale.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 11:34:34 PM »

I'm in the Puget Sound.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 12:24:43 AM »

I'm not what I would call close, but a list in the classifieds might not hurt.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?