Author Topic: Gas welding thick stuff  (Read 1518 times)

zahc

• friend
Gas welding thick stuff
« on: January 06, 2020, 12:57:07 AM »
I want to weld a collet block to a QC lathe tool holder. So both pieces are like 1 inch thick. I gas weld thin metal and tubing but never things that thick. Will it work?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Gas welding thick stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 01:05:05 AM »
Got any other processes available? It can be done, but going to dump a ton of heat in there. Any pics? Intended use? Doesn't sound like it needs to hold the world on, so just a bit of bevel and a lighter weld?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 01:15:51 AM »
I want the collet block on my lathe toolpost so I can clamp thin tubing. Forces will not be tremendous. I just want it to be rigid so I thought I would weld it instead of drilling and tapping holes to bolt it on. Usually in this situation I end up laying down a big brass bead, because brazing is so easy.

You just reminded me I have an $80 chinese 120V stick welder, but that thing is so hard to run a bead with and it trips the breaker about every inch or so.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 02:01:33 AM »
I've only done a little bit of wire welding and a little bit of stick welding but, for chunks of metal that thick I think you'll be better off using the stick welder. What kind of circuit are you running it on -- 15A or 20A?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 02:28:04 AM »
I would probably try to silver solder that.

Or machine a ledge in the collet block and just bolt it in the tool holder like normal.

But really, silver solder is probably the easy answer.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 07:50:04 AM »
There's also this:

AXA 5C collet holder: https://www.ebay.com/p/1501591033

Aloris makes BXA size as well, if that's your thing.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 08:19:55 AM »
You're probably going to spend more money on bigger tips and a rosebud, then just having a local welder or machine shop weld it for you. 1" is a lot to weld with most home shops. I've oxy-acetylene welded thicker iron but you burn a lot of fuel.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 09:19:18 AM »
There's also this:

AXA 5C collet holder: https://www.ebay.com/p/1501591033

Aloris makes BXA size as well, if that's your thing.

I admit I didn't know that I could but one off the shelf. But since they cost $150 and I can build it with things I already have I'm still going to try.

The fit together flat, so I could solder them. I have several types of silver solder, including this:

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1007081353

I could probably just lie the parts on top each other with some solder in between and set them on the stove.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 10:46:26 AM by zahc »
--Tallpine

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 09:52:10 AM »
I've tacked up stuff similar for a lathe and got by with 3 1/4" tacks.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2020, 10:45:26 AM »
Have pics?

Like several have said, gas welding something with that much mass is gonna take a metric buttload of heat. Even brazing will take more than you expect. Stick is your best bet, but you said your welder is tripping the breaker. Will it run long enough for you to tack it solid, or at least solid enough that it would survive a trip to the welding shop for a finish weld?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zahc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2020, 10:51:53 AM »
Collet block:

5C-CB 5C Collet Block Set - Hex Collet Block, Square Collet Block and Collet Closer by 5C Tooling https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0186MD7L2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Oz1eEbYRKFJQT

Tool holder:

CXA #2 QUICK CHANGE TURNING FACING & BORING TOOL POST HOLDER 250-302 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQQINEL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JA1eEbBR045YF

I could weld or bolt a strip onto the collet block to clamp it into the tool holder and avoid ruining a tool holder. But for all the more the tool holders cost I figured I would just bolt or weld it to the holder to be more rigid.

They're both ground flat so I'm interested in the idea of sweating them together. I would need a forge to get them both hot enough to braze together with brass but I could probably silver solder them with a propane stove burner.

My stick welder trips a 20A breaker every inch or two. That's not the biggest problem; it's more the sheer frustration of getting an arc started. It's just a dumb transformer buzzbox and with only 120V available it takes ninja skills to use it. I've been going to wire up a pigtail so I can use it on my 4-wire 240v brewing circuit, still with 120V, but with a 30A breaker. However, at that point I wonder if I should just wire it to 240v and reap the benefit of the higher voltage and probably a lot less current. Paradoxically, wiring it to higher voltage might be easier on the thing than 120V, and might make it easier to weld with.

--Tallpine

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2020, 10:00:52 PM »
There is undoubtably a way to do it but I’d just find someone with a more suitable welding process to do it instead

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2020, 10:11:38 PM »
Is this cast iron?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2020, 01:35:17 AM »
Is this cast iron?

No.  They tend to be ground, hardened steel.  If you buy the Chinese ones: for some values of "hardened".

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2020, 02:28:06 AM »
There are  critical surfaces to warp on this- the dovetail on the toolholder, the interior 5c taper of the collet block etc.

This is to hold tubing so a cutter in the lathe spindle can work on it?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2020, 09:25:07 AM »
What I ended up doing is upgrading my welder from the very bottom of the barrel to the dregs of the barrel. I bought a Deka inverter welder. It's about the size of a lunch box, weighs like 6 pounds, runs on 220 or 110 with a cord adapter, and I'm blown away by how well it runs 3/32 7018. $130. Technology is an amazing thing.

So yeah instead of buying a collet holder for $150, I'm in it for like $170 but hey I have a new welder.
--Tallpine

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 10:28:12 AM »
There is no reason to spend $200 on a part when you can spend $1000 on the tools to make it you self.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2020, 11:20:06 AM »
There is no reason to spend $200 on a part when you can spend $1000 on the tools to make it you self.

I say a similar thing about the wife's craft-making: she spends hundreds of dollars on supplies and equipment to make a $ 7 card.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.