Author Topic: Drop Dead and Go To Hell, Oregon!  (Read 4729 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Drop Dead and Go To Hell, Oregon!
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2020, 04:38:16 PM »
I kept thinking about how fun Motel of the Mysteries was... so I ordered it from Amazon.

$12.60 (price + tax), and here tomorrow.

I need another book like I need a hole in the head, but hey, maybe I can use pages torn out of the book and crumpled up to fill the hole in my head.
https://www.amazon.com/Motel-Mysteries-David-Macaulay/dp/0395284252/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Motel+of+the+Mysteries&qid=1578951428&sr=8-1
Amazon has it.  Kindle also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2020, 04:55:35 PM »
Possibly someday but imagine the number of unsolved missing persons and murders that will be provided new evidence.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2020, 07:19:34 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/Motel-Mysteries-David-Macaulay/dp/0395284252/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Motel+of+the+Mysteries&qid=1578951428&sr=8-1
Amazon has it.  Kindle also.

Yeah.... that was the entire point of the post of mine that you quoted... to mention that I purchased it....

Senility. So tragic...  :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2020, 07:20:42 AM »
"Could major landfills that have been on existence for a long time yield profitable amounts of useful materials?"

Depends on how desperate the need is for what is being mined...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2020, 09:04:49 AM »

Yeah.... that was the entire point of the post of mine that you quoted... to mention that I purchased it....

Senility. So tragic...  :rofl:
I looked it up so I could add it to my wishlist and take a second look later.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2020, 09:07:59 AM »
"Could major landfills that have been on existence for a long time yield profitable amounts of useful materials?"

Depends on how desperate the need is for what is being mined...

I was thinking along those lines as well.  The price of the materials would have to go up a lot.  I hope by the time we get to that point there will be new ways to pulling the stuff out.

Thinking about what was said about landfills, the main landfill I use for work is one of those sealed landfills.  They will even take oils and liquids.  They just have to mix them with stuff to solidify it before it gets buried. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2020, 11:09:03 AM »
Wind blew a bag into the top of my front yard tree, going to have to listen to that all winter.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2020, 07:52:46 AM »
"Probably most of them would be attributed to religious relics and papers (or the 7020AD equivalent thereof) would be published, and great scientific arguments about the real purpose of a burned-out 100 Watt light bulb would ensue."

Ever read the humor book Motel of the Mysteries?

It's a book written from exactly that kind of point of view. It's extremely humorous what people thing things from the ancient civilization of Usa were used for.

Not sure if it's still in print, but it's well worth finding it: https://books.google.com/books/about/Motel_of_the_Mysteries.html?id=dO3vf15Gxd0C

I never read that book, but I remember laughing at a report of some expedition or another struggling to interpret the purposes of some of the artifacts.  

They just looked like kids' toys to me and my mind kited off on that.  This thread rekindled that thinking.

So I wikied it.

The concept of it being a hotel room is interesting.  I wonder how the author developed such a well-preserved hotel room concept.

I know I diddled with that idea when I was in college, late 1950s, early 1960s, and the "motel book" publication date was October 11, 1979.

Thanks for the info.  Parallel thinking.

Terry

Related, look up "Venus of Willendorf" for its archeological dating: 30,000 years old.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2020, 08:25:18 AM »
I'm well familiar with the various prehistoric Venus figurines, and quite a bit of the art from that period. I studied Art History in college. Long time ago, but I still love art.