Author Topic: Campaigning With My Tax Dollars  (Read 675 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Campaigning With My Tax Dollars
« on: January 18, 2020, 10:54:47 AM »
Please note I don't want to make this an abortion debate. It's just that Planned Parenthood seems to be THE major player in this area: Getting tons of Federal dollars and then spending tons of dollars on political campaigns and strategies. Money they would otherwise not have available if not for federal funding boosting their coffers in other areas.

I actually don't even know what the laws are on this, other than it's apparently allowed. Wouldn't it make sense though, that if you are receiving ANY federal funding, you should be banned from spending money on any political campaigning whatsoever? If you want to spend millions supporting a political viewpoint (whatever side), knock yourself out, but I think you shouldn't be doing it while supported by my tax dollars.

Am I off here? Is my viewpoint anti-freedom in some way and I don't realize it? Or does it make sense to remain apolitical if/while you are receiving federal funds to operate?

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/01/18/bingo-ted-cruz-has-a-great-question-after-news-of-planned-parenthoods-election-plans/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Campaigning With My Tax Dollars
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 02:09:35 PM »
I don't think any non profit, religious group, NGO, union, any group that receives government money, etc. should be running any sort of political campaign.  No dollars can be spent to run a campaign or give money to a campaign.

I'm fine with advertising your mission and lobbying with elected officials. I'm also fine with a press release of this organization supports/does not support any certain legislation. Can not come out in support or does not support of named candidates or political parties.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Campaigning With My Tax Dollars
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 01:59:55 PM »
I am certain that if asked, they would say that none of the federal money goes to pay for the campaign support even if it replaces money that does.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge