Author Topic: Post Christmas Scrooges  (Read 973 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Post Christmas Scrooges
« on: January 18, 2020, 05:02:10 PM »
I almost opened accounts at US Bank since they are the only bank in my podunk town. Glad I didn't. What a bunch of scrooges. I totally get rules about customer interactions, but this one surely seemed like it should have fallen under "Christmas spirit".

https://www.foxnews.com/us/oregon-woman-fired-bank-after-giving-struggling-man-money
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Post Christmas Scrooges
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 05:12:10 PM »
I almost opened accounts at US Bank since they are the only bank in my podunk town. Glad I didn't. What a bunch of scrooges. I totally get rules about customer interactions, but this one surely seemed like it should have fallen under "Christmas spirit".

https://www.foxnews.com/us/oregon-woman-fired-bank-after-giving-struggling-man-money

The story say she had permission from her supervisor.  If that's true, she should sue USB for wrongful termination.  (she probably won't be out of work for long.  Some local bank or credit union will hire her for the PR as much as anything)
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 07:18:27 PM »
You know, a lot of companies would have used that story in their next commercial.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 08:21:06 PM »
Good points from both of you on the PR. Banks are so often thought of in the same vein as used car salesmen. This would have been the perfect opportunity for US Bank to shine up their image a bit. But I guess the bigger banks don't care. Great story for a local or regional bank though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 08:28:05 PM »
Good points from both of you on the PR. Banks are so often thought of in the same vein as used car salesmen. This would have been the perfect opportunity for US Bank to shine up their image a bit. But I guess the bigger banks don't care. Great story for a local or regional bank though.

You'd think they'd care about promoting the brand. Seems like stupidity is as much in play as hard-heartedness.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 08:57:05 AM »
I have learned that anytime I see something in the media that makes me think "Why would they do that?)  There's probably something I'm missing.

I note the statement from the bank said:

"At U.S. Bank, we have policies and procedures in place to protect our customers and employees,” the statement read. “Ms. James was terminated following an internal investigation into her interactions with a customer. During this review it was determined Ms. James did not use the available solutions to remedy the customer’s situation and instead put herself and the bank at risk with her actions.”

Gotta wonder what those solutions may have been.  I also kinda understand why the bank would have a pretty broad blanket, "Call center employees don't tell customers where they are, or go out to customers" policy. Is firing harsh?  Maybe, or maybe there was a viable solution that would have solved the problem inside the banks policies.

Follow on question:  What would Ms. James relatives have done if she had been hurt while on the clock and galivanting down to the gas station (presumably in her POV)?

There's always (at least) two sides to any story.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 12:25:26 PM »
I wonder what those solutions would have been on a holiday.  I was wondering if she told the guy something she should not have when his location came up. 

Either way, seems like a bad PR move.  Also, I wonder why this became a firing instead of just disciplinary action.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 06:50:09 PM »
During this review it was determined Ms. James did not use the available solutions to remedy the customer’s situation and instead put herself and the bank at risk with her actions.”

Often times with large corporations, the available solutions are really not solutions at all.  They are just "policies" that must be followed without deviation, nothing outside the box allowed to fix a unique problem.  (Banks are particularly bad in that regard. My wife is fighting Wells Fargo over a CD her mom left when she passed away a few years ago.  They are citing "policy" in trying to keep the monies.)
I strongly suspect the "available solutions" would not have resulted in the guy that needed access to his funds actually being able to access his funds.  Nor would he have acquired the funds necessary to buy gas to get himself home for the holiday.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.