Author Topic: Movie DVD tries to install assware on computer  (Read 576 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Movie DVD tries to install assware on computer
« on: January 18, 2020, 11:25:17 PM »
(I didn't coin the term assware, but it's great so I stole it)  I watched "Elf" tonight, mainly to see if the computer I hooked up to the TV made a good enough DVD player.  (it almost does; it is watchable but not ideal)  This is a windows 10 machine, so windows media player won't play DVD's -- I had to install VLC.  But since I didn't have a dvd player at first, windows opened the disk in file explorer.  What's all this stuff besides VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS?  Especially an autorun file and install.exe?  I have autorun disabled, so it didn't actually do anything, but there was a readme file on there too encouraging me to install their enhanced experience software; something called Interactual Player.  I can't find much information about it, but what little I can find does not look good.  It's not an actual media player, it hooks into your media player and Internet Explorer.  I may install it in a VM just to see what it does...

I thought only certain Sony BMG CD's from that period contained spyware.   :mad:

I should also try Cyberlink PowerDVD. (I think I have some old disks for it)  The problem I ran into with VLC was occasional brief stuttering when it was obviously buffering.  And I think Windows Media Player does that too on XP and 7.  From what I remember from many years ago, PowerDVD doesn't have that issue.

I have a cheap BluRay player downstairs on the other TV, I can use that when I really want to watch a DVD, and can move it to the upstairs TV if I have to.
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
Re: Movie DVD tries to install assware on computer
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 05:15:41 AM »
The DVD is doing the same thing to your computer's OS that watching Will Ferrell does to your brain.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 08:28:04 AM »
Not exactly new

A scandal erupted in 2005 regarding Sony BMG's implementation of copy protection measures on about 22 million CDs. When inserted into a computer, the CDs installed one of two pieces of software which provided a form of digital rights management (DRM) by modifying the operating system to interfere with CD copying. Neither program could easily be uninstalled, and they created vulnerabilities that were exploited by unrelated malware.
 One of the programs would install and "phone home" with reports on the user's private listening habits - even if the user refused its end-user license agreement (EULA), while the other was not mentioned in the EULA at all. Both programs contained code from several pieces of copylefted free software in an apparent infringement of copyright, and configured the operating system to hide the software's existence, leading to both programs being classified as rootkits.
Sony BMG copy protection rootkit scandal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 08:53:17 AM »
Not exactly new
Sony BMG copy protection rootkit scandal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

I knew about the Sony thing, but this wasn't a Sony disc, and it's a DVD not a CD.  And it's why I never autorun anything.
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 08:59:26 AM »
I knew about the Sony thing, but this wasn't a Sony disc, and it's a DVD not a CD.  And it's why I never autorun anything.

Scary thing is that it makes you wonder who else is doing this that we're not aware of.
Read the EULA on many programs, often such stuff is declared there but how many people actually read the things.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes