Author Topic: *&$#%&@* Google!  (Read 532 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
*&$#%&@* Google!
« on: January 19, 2020, 12:50:34 AM »
My computer has been running awfully slowly of late. I've run multiple scans with both Avast and Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes found a few pieces of tracking software but no dangerous viruses, and they've been eliminated. Didn't make much difference.

Two night ago I used CCleaner to scan the registry. Among the issues it found wee eight unused file extensions associated with GoogleDrive. I clicked "Fix," which should have deleted those entries from the register. Performance greatly improved. This evening I ran CCleaner again, and those entries popped up again. So I removed them again.

But where did they come from? I don't have GoogleDrive -- never have. I use Dropbox, and I have a Microsoft Onedrive account that I almost never use. So why does my registry keep getting entries for unused file extensions associated with GoogleDrive -- and why would those be making the computer run abysmally slowly?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: *&$#%&@* Google!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 01:42:25 AM »
Unused file extensions shouldn't really make any difference.  ???  Check your task manager; see what's running in the background.  (maybe a dozen extra copies of Chrome)
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 01:49:19 AM »
Don't have Chrome on my computer.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 07:43:03 AM »
What Bob said. If this is the same computer that you posted about recently regarding a slowdown, sounds like you need to do a wipe and clean reinstall, or else, and better, get the Samsung SSD and then install fresh on that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 10:00:37 AM »
SSD arrived a couple of days ago. I'll install it after I get back from the SHOT Show.