Author Topic: Ruger 5-7  (Read 1347 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Ruger 5-7
« on: January 19, 2020, 03:10:48 AM »
So I've been hearing a lot of noise about Ruger's new 5.7x28 pistol.

I don't need another gun.  I really don't.  But for some reason, this thing is drawing me in.  Maybe it's the weirdness of having a bottleneck cartridge in a semi-auto pistol.  Maybe it's just the oddity of the round itself.  Maybe it's having 20 rounds of 5.7 in the mag. 

I know it's an odd-duck caliber.  But it's just odd enough to be interesting.  Everywhere online I can find info on it shows it's sold out, so there's obvious interest in this little beastie.  And for around 6 benjamins, it's surprisingly affordably compared to the $$$ F-N version of this beast.

So... Talk me out of it?  Talk me into it?  I dunno.  Just curious what others thoughts may be in our local brain trust.

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

dogmush

• friend
Re: Ruger 5-7
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 05:21:21 AM »
From what I've seen it seems like it makes a couple decent improvement's on FN's version.

Not super practical (not that every gun needs to be practical), and not cheap to feed (this from the guy that has several .50 cal weapons).  But if your personal line for "fun with no real use" includes slightly less than $1000 tied up in a pistol, mags, and ammo that will get shot a couple times a year and shared with friends for the neat and weird aspect, then there's no reason not to buy it.  I understand that completely.

If you think it's a pistol with a practical, not just for fun, use for a civilian in America, I'd recommend looking at other guns.

FWIW My understanding from the little research I did when the round first became popular is that it's pretty fiddly to reload, with not a lot of case life.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 06:39:52 AM »
AD,

Are the pistols sold-out or just not available yet?  I thought this gun was new and not yet shipping, just a SHOT Show release so far.

Like Dogmush said, if you have the money, buy it.  It isn't a gun I would buy, but if it floats your boat, go for it.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 06:41:01 AM »
(this from the guy that has several .50 cal weapons).

Say what?!  :O  Whatcha got? 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 07:12:43 AM »
Say what?!  :O  Whatcha got? 

Modded BOHICA .50BMG bolt action upper on a custom lower.
Deagle in fiddy
.50 Beowulf 16" carbine
All the parts for an 80% Glock in .50GI sitting in a box waiting to get to the top of the project list

I was going to get a .500 S&W after this deployment but I got distracted by a different revolver, and blew that money on a deposit.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 04:58:37 PM »
Modded BOHICA .50BMG bolt action upper on a custom lower.
Deagle in fiddy
.50 Beowulf 16" carbine
All the parts for an 80% Glock in .50GI sitting in a box waiting to get to the top of the project list

I was going to get a .500 S&W after this deployment but I got distracted by a different revolver, and blew that money on a deposit.

Ah, so only one .50.  The rest are FINOs.   =D

Really, that .50 Beowolf looks fun.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 10:56:58 PM »
AD,

Are the pistols sold-out or just not available yet?  I thought this gun was new and not yet shipping, just a SHOT Show release so far.

Like Dogmush said, if you have the money, buy it.  It isn't a gun I would buy, but if it floats your boat, go for it.

I saw it pop up at least one place online, but sell out immediately. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 11:08:08 PM »
From what the reviews keep saying, it is a good pistol that has little recoil and 20 rounds in the magazine.  I have heard it is a pretty thin pistol as well even if not small.  Hopefully, with a major gun manufacturer producing a 5.7x28 gun, that will increase ammo production and lower the price.  I would also expect Ruger to follow up with a carbine of some type. 

With Speer Gold Dot making a self defense load, that might make it a better carry/home defense pistol.  I haven't seen testing of that round yet. 
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/01/01/speer-gold-dot-5-7x28mm-ammunition/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-5_QjRiMOs
CMMG also put out this video recently talking about an AR upper that shoots 5.7 using a hybrid AR mag that holds 40 rounds.  Not sure of price. 

I am thinking of getting one myself, but not right away.  I hesitate because I know if I do I will eventually get a carbine of some type to go with it.  Big investment. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 12:29:41 AM »

With Speer Gold Dot making a self defense load, that might make it a better carry/home defense pistol.  I haven't seen testing of that round yet. 
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/01/01/speer-gold-dot-5-7x28mm-ammunition/

I can't imagine that this is a good SD round*.  Either it's fast enough to make a 40gr round effective, in which case overpenetration is a real issue, or it's slow enough to limit over-penetration, in which case it's a 40gr hollow point.  No one raves about the ballistics of a .25ACP JHP (I know, an exaggeration, but still).  This is a situation in which they have a caliber, designed to do "X" pretty well, and since no one actually does "X" they are forcing the caliber into the "Y" role because, it's good enough to sell some.  If HK cared even a little about civilian sales, we could have epic internet wars over which is better at something they weren't designed to do: 5.7x28 or 4.6x30.

I suspect Speer will sell a enough because marketing, but this is not a use case that this caliber is good for.

I would point out here that 5.56 is considered to have real over-penetration issues for SD until it get's fast enough to fragment, something 5.7 out of a pistol isn't going to do.

*Which is not to say it won't kill someone.  Rather it's a step down in just about any performance category to any of the "normal" self defense calibers.  The platforms do have good magazine capacity, but they tend to be in full size guns, and full size 9mm's are creeping up on 20 rds in the mag these days (CZ P-09 has 19, pretty much everyone else get's 17 in the grip).

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 09:15:58 AM »
I don't really have much argument for or against.  I have never had one of the 5.7 guns.  I think it depends on the weight and handling of the pistol.  It may end up having less weight and recoil than something like a CZ P09, but we will see.  The FN 57 is a lightweight pistol, but it is fairly bulky.  Supposedly the Ruger is a bit slimmer.  Certainly for me this would just be a toy. 

I know someone who carries a PMR 30 with 22 magnum in the woods largely because it is really light.  Would this be comparable or a little better?

Shot Show 2020 is this week.  Industry Day at the Range is tomorrow.  I am sure there will be lots of youtube videos coming out on this gun and others.  By next week we should have a bunch of other opinions to weigh in. 

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 09:26:18 AM »
Wasn't the 57 developed for military use to defeat body armor?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 12:29:41 PM »
Wasn't the 57 developed for military use to defeat body armor?
Yes.  At least it was a compact weapon system capable of defeating pistol rated armor.  However, the guns and ammo were labeled as cop killer guns almost immediately and the armor piercing ammo was restricted.  I think there are a few people that still have some stashed. 

I have always heard the other bullet types available were not all that great.  Paul Harrell did a meat target test on youtube with the pistol, but I forget the results. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 12:53:08 PM »
I've heard some people say the 5.7 pistols are good choices for the elderly/arthritic individuals (or those with otherwise limited hand strength) because of the low recoil. But I don't know how easy the slide or controls are to manipulate for people with these needs, or how susceptible these pistols are to "limp wrist" malfunctions, which of course are a major concern for people with limited grip or wrist strength.

No personal experience with the 5.7s, but based on my old Ruger Super Single Six when the .22 Mag cylinder was installed, I would expect muzzle blast to probably be significant.

Hmmm . . . Barnes makes (or used to make) .22 solids for reloading - loaded with these, the 5.7 might be good for trappers or varmint hunters to minimize pelt damage.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 02:57:04 PM »
The 5.7 just looks like a fun round to me. I'd love to get one, but considering that I don't seem to have the time to shoot the guns I DO have, I can't justify getting another caliber.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 03:35:42 PM »
The 5.7 just looks like a fun round to me. I'd love to get one, but considering that I don't seem to have the time to shoot the guns I DO have, I can't justify getting another caliber.

That right there is probably my single biggest hesitation.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2020, 03:50:23 PM »
I have always heard the other bullet types available were not all that great.  Paul Harrell did a meat target test on youtube with the pistol, but I forget the results.

I remember reading a write-up of the 5.7 rounds performance in the Ft Hood shooting. Apparently, in comparison to other similar mass shootings, the 5.7 round was MUCH more lethal. I don't know what kind of ammo Hassan was using, or how good his shot placement was, or how long it took victims to expire. It could very well be more lethal than your normal 9mm/.40/.45 defense rounds, yet lacks the ability for a fast 'stop.'
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2020, 05:04:50 PM »
Self:  "Hey, I might have to get a Ruger-57.   :cool:"

Self:  "What is that over there?   Squirrel!"

Self:  "I might have to get one of those first."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXPX2f2Lq-M
SIG Announces P210 Carry (SIG Range Day - SHOT Show 2020

There is always something else coming around to separate me from my money.  Make sure I pay off the last "gotta have it" before I get the next one.   =D