Author Topic: FN FNX?  (Read 1085 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
FN FNX?
« on: January 21, 2020, 11:20:38 AM »
Totally out of the blue and for no valid reason, this last week I have kinda been thinking, "An FN FNX .45 tactical would be cool to own."

Anyone have one or has anyone used one? My semi-valid reason for the interest: I mentioned here that I want to sell my G23 and PPQ, both in .40 and get a PPQ Navy (threaded barrel) in 9MM as a nightstand and fun to shoot with a suppressor gun. However as much as I love the PPQ ergonomics, I'm now kinda wondering if it wouldn't make sense to get a single/double/decocker pistol, so that  I can use it in a similar cocked and locked manner to my beloved 1911s. Especially as an "I just woke up and I'm groggy bump in the night do I need to flip the safety or not?" gun.

I've never cared one way or the other about striker fired pistols, other than when I bought them, I wanted tupperware just because, and made the mistake (for me) of getting them both in .40. Hence I was originally thinking just go to the PPQ in 9MM. But now I'm thinking both the cocked and locked and 15 rounds of .45ACP might make a better nightstand gun (plus again, fun to shoot suppressed gun). Plus all my other semi-autos (once I sell the G23 and PPQ) are in .45ACP. Not that I might not still get a 9MM (likely the Walther) in addition.

I'm thinking the next time I make it to Boise,  I might see if Impact Guns has one in their rental department and try it at their range, but otherwise wouldn't mind APS opinions. Other than telling me I seem to be blowing a lot of dough lately.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Re: FN FNX?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 12:12:38 PM »
I had an FNX 45, and still have an FNX-9.  The -45 Tac excels at being optics/suppressor ready out of the box.  It's a big gun, but not huge. Think of it like a second draft of a Mark 23.  What that pistol was, but refined a little and run past an editor to knock off some of the over the top parts.  I sold my because someone offered me enough money that I couldn't refuse during the Obama years.  If you are thinking of running a suppressor and optic on your nightstand gun it's a solid option, but there are more choices now.  I think an M17 would probably beat it in shootability.

The FNX shoots...OK.  It's trigger is ....OK.  Ergos are.....OK.  The gun is a solid performer.  I paid in the $400's for my -9 and it's a steal at that price.  I have kind of a fetish for mid-sized 9mm pistols, and it fit's right in with that group.  I will say I find the checkering to be super aggressive for more than 100 or so rounds unless I have gloves on.  I've shot some matches with mine and it can be run fast pretty easy.

It's kinda weird.  FN makes a solid gun.  The FNX does everything it tries to well, but excells at nothing.  It's...OK.  I rarely reach for mine when I want to go have fun at the range, but I leave it loaded on the nightstand with a TLR-1 on it, and trust it completely.  When I do take it to the range it functions flawlessly and hits what I point it at.  I just don't really love it. It fit's kinda where it is in this wheel.  Right in the middle.

I had the same idea about the manual of arms thing when I got mine, and almost never actually use it that way.  In actual practice, and I think more so if groggy, I muscle memory swipe at where the safety should be on any pistol I pick up, and then pull the DA trigger.  Actually trying to train with the FNXs cocked and locked is one of the things that started my transition to Sigs, actually.

Also:  Obligatory shot of the Belgians, because they don't get enough love:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 12:46:54 PM »
Thanks for that response, Dogmush.

I had the same idea about the manual of arms thing when I got mine, and almost never actually use it that way.  In actual practice, and I think more so if groggy, I muscle memory swipe at where the safety should be on any pistol I pick up, and then pull the DA trigger.  Actually trying to train with the FNXs cocked and locked is one of the things that started my transition to Sigs, actually.

Makes me think I'd really like to try before I buy.

I mean, I guess my other option if manual of arms is that important to me is to just get a 1911 with a rail (I own none right now) and threaded barrel. It's jut now that I'm living in America, I'm seeing all these guns that were once verboten to me and I want one of everything. The CA DOJ list only has the FN 5.7 on it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 01:00:14 PM »
Do attempt to try before you buy, or failing that buy used and sell at no real loss if you don't like it.

Fussing around with safeties, the 1911's and Hi-powers, various striker guns I have, and have had, and revolvers actually really made me appreciate a nice DA/SA.  I like my 1911's, and carry them with no hesitation, but I find, that it's also pretty nice to have that decent, longer trigger pull to start the party, and then shorter SA follow ups.  It works really well for me, and I like the added heft on the first round.  Other folks really like them all the same.

FWIW, I go back and forth between a Dan Wesson 1911 and that Sig 229 Legion in the pic as my carry guns 90% of the time.  I'd like to think the whole "Manual of Arms" and "1911 triggers" matter as much as the thought I've put into them (and internet posts on those subjects) but when I pull out a timer and go for "as fast as I can draw and put 3* in the thoracic triangle of a target" there's no measurable, repeatable difference in time or accuracy.

*sure is a time difference for that 9th shot though....

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 02:45:38 PM »
I find I agree with dogmush.  It is a gun that I like, but it always seems to be my 2nd favorite gun.  100% reliable and has handled all the ammo I have put through it.  It is a good shooter.  See if you like the trigger and handling.  15 rounds of 45 ACP in the magazine is impressive.  I just took possession of a Silencerco Osprey 45 so I plan to shoot it a bit the next week or two.  They also went to a different grip texture with the FNX series that may not be for everyone.  I have never tried to use optics with it.  I might need to try that.  

I also have an HK 45 and I like that gun better though it is probably just personal preference or maybe grip texture.  It isn't the tactical version and it only has a 10 round magazine but I like the grip and it shoots well.  The tactical version is comparable in price to the tactical FNX, maybe cheaper.  Depends on what you like.  HK has also dropped the price from what it was when it first came out some years ago which was ridiculously high.  I think the standard version starts in the $600's.  I tend to prefer DA/SA guns as well.  I just always end up preferring them if a good option is available. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 02:59:38 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 04:06:54 PM »
The tactical HK45 looks to run around $800, which is quite a bit less than the FN. If I can rent one, I might try it too, though very cursory research indicates it's not ambi (I'm a lefty)? I might peruse the Sigs too. I'm very wishy washy.  :laugh:

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 04:26:06 PM »
Dogmush, what is that gun at the 7 to 8 0'clock position?  Looks like an unfinished Glock copy.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 08:02:44 PM »
You can tactical-ize the stock USP .45, though it's debatable if you'd end up saving any money.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 10:45:03 PM »
Dogmush, what is that gun at the 7 to 8 0'clock position?  Looks like an unfinished Glock copy.
I was wondering that too, especially with the gap between the slide and frame.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 12:57:04 AM »
Dogmush, what is that gun at the 7 to 8 0'clock position?  Looks like an unfinished Glock copy.

Quote from: MillCreek
I was wondering that too, especially with the gap between the slide and frame.

At the time of that pic it was an unfinished 80% frame (Polymer80 brand) and an empty slide.  That pic is a few years old.  The P30 is gone now, and that Glock (Phaolk?  Glorgery?) is now a functional G19 copy with an optic and milled slide.  I thought I had a build thread around here somewhere, but it might have been a different forum.

Quote from: Ben
The tactical HK45 looks to run around $800, which is quite a bit less than the FN. If I can rent one, I might try it too, though very cursory research indicates it's not ambi (I'm a lefty)?

FWIW, the aforementioned P30 in my pic no longer resides with me because I could not figure out a way to hold it left handed where my support hand didn't hold down the slide release, and prevent locking back on an empty mag.  Hold the HK45 tac and see where the right side slide release falls, as HK uses a big lever.  The 45 may be a little smaller then the P30 though.

Sigs are pretty lefty friendly.  I can decock with my trigger finger pretty easily.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 04:17:04 AM by dogmush »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 08:01:55 AM »
FWIW, the aforementioned P30 in my pic no longer resides with me because I could not figure out a way to hold it left handed where my support hand didn't hold down the slide release, and prevent locking back on an empty mag.  Hold the HK45 tac and see where the right side slide release falls, as HK uses a big lever.  The 45 may be a little smaller then the P30 though.

Sigs are pretty lefty friendly.  I can decock with my trigger finger pretty easily.

I looked further into the HK45 and only got confused. The listings at Impact Guns specifically state, "safety and decocking lever on left", while when I gazoogled "HK45 left handed" a forum mentioned how lefty friendly they were and that the decocker was a button in the back.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 09:17:32 AM »
I looked further into the HK45 and only got confused. The listings at Impact Guns specifically state, "safety and decocking lever on left", while when I gazoogled "HK45 left handed" a forum mentioned how lefty friendly they were and that the decocker was a button in the back.
The HK45 decocking lever is the safety lever if my mind is working right.  It is on the left side at least.  

It is the P30 that has the decocking button on the back.  

Edit:  The pictures I am finding do not show a safety on the right side, but it looks like it is reversible. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 09:49:56 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 09:48:42 AM »

Welcome to HK trigger variants.

The button on the back is definitely a P30 thing.  I had that.  I *think* that the HK45 uses the USP trigger system codes, which means you want a V2 (Double action/single action with "SAFE” position. Control lever (manual safety/decocking lever) on right side of frame.).  That's what I have on my USP anyway. There are 10 variants (listed in this thread) of the USP trigger system.

There is a dual lever kit (available from Brownells, among other places) that you can purchase and install.

I am not sure that you can buy the pistol with both levers from the factory.  Because you suck, and they hate you.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 10:06:13 AM »

I am not sure that you can buy the pistol with both levers from the factory.  Because you suck, and they hate you.

Thread is complete.  :laugh: