Author Topic: A new building material arises: mass timber  (Read 1668 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
A new building material arises: mass timber
« on: January 22, 2020, 09:07:50 AM »
https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2020/1/15/21058051/climate-change-building-materials-mass-timber-cross-laminated-clt

I know we have architects and building people here, so this may be of interest. I have read a lot about this in the local media, since the PNW and British Columbia has so much softwood timber.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: A new building material arises: mass timber
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 09:34:30 AM »
The latest season of This Old Home showed a compete reconstruction of a 1940s-era ranch into a larger Dutch Colonial-style house using almost all engineered lumber, including 2x4s and 2x6s for walls and joists, as well as a couple of large carrier beams.

They said the cost was more, but the time required was less because all of the lumber was true and straight, didn't require as much bracing, etc.

I suspect that sometime in the next 10 to 15 years we're going to be seeing a lot more laminated lumber in home stores.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 09:51:03 AM »
I'm an architect and a building official. I don't hear much about this from architect colleagues. The building officials (many of whom are former builders) are scared shitless by the concept. So are the fire services.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 09:55:36 AM »
They're not new, maybe just being rediscovered by architects.  We studied laminated wood timbers in a Materials class I took in college over 30 years ago.  They can be safer in a fire than steel beams (although they do add fuel) because they maintain structural integrity for a long time even as they burn.  Steel rapidly loses strength in a fire -- however it doesn't add fuel.  
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 09:58:08 AM »
Laminated beams are nothing new. Para-lams and micro-lams have been around for many years.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 10:06:32 AM »
Some of the houses in my community that were built later (1980 or so) used engineered I-beam style joists -- wood stop and bottoms with an engineered web in the center.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 10:12:34 AM »
Would the glue and treatments used keep the wood dry and keep stuff like termites or carpenter bees from affecting it? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 10:20:35 AM »
I believe the engineered lumber is generally more water resistant, but I don't know about insects. I'd suspect that generally, though, the glues and binders are resistant to termites, and they can probably include chemicals in the matrix that will keep termites and other wood pests out.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 10:47:56 AM »
Glu-lams ae certainly not new ... but their use in high-rise construction is new.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 10:51:19 AM »
I'm an architect and a building official. I don't hear much about this from architect colleagues. The building officials (many of whom are former builders) are scared shitless by the concept. So are the fire services.

Can't be any worse than all the plastic and petroleum based products in newer construction.

I remember from my college wood products class many videos showing wood standing up better to steel in a fire situation.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 10:54:19 AM »
Can't be any worse than all the plastic and petroleum based products in newer construction.

I remember from my college wood products class many videos showing wood standing up better to steel in a fire situation.

I saw the same videos in an Engineering Materials class. :)
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 11:08:57 AM »
So, fancy plywood, right?

I'm pretty sure I saw some of those "dowel laminated beams" in England in an 800 or so year old church.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 11:12:33 AM »
So, fancy plywood, right?

I'm pretty sure I saw some of those "dowel laminated beams" in England in an 800 or so year old church.

No, not veneer glued in alternate layers. Think of stacking long 2x4 and gluing then together, kind of like bricks.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 11:43:28 AM »
I was thinking about how long this material would last, but I figure if it was designed right, then it could be repaired or replaced more easily. 

Many chemical plants have wooden cooling towers that require regular inspection and the wood only lasts so long.  I am not certain what makes this stuff better.  Maybe the glue and binders used. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2020, 12:05:09 PM »
I was thinking about how long this material would last, but I figure if it was designed right, then it could be repaired or replaced more easily. 

Many chemical plants have wooden cooling towers that require regular inspection and the wood only lasts so long.  I am not certain what makes this stuff better.  Maybe the glue and binders used. 

Unless they've come up with something better recently, they use resorcinol (sp?) glue.  It's a 2-part adhesive kinda like epoxy.  It's not gap-filling like epoxy, but it is UV stable and epoxy is not.  (I think both are waterproof)  So they glue-up the timbers and then clamp them until the glue sets.  I believe some marine epoxies are really resorcinol-based because of the UV thing.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2020, 05:37:11 PM »
Resorcinol has been a mainstay in wooden boat building for a very long time. White oak has adhesion issues with standard epoxy but does great with resorcinol.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2020, 07:53:01 PM »

I've been seeing projections of 50 years. Heck, my house is 70 years old. This stuff is the structure -- how do you replace the structure of a high-rise building?

Pb

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2020, 09:24:46 AM »
This is pretty interesting.

However, do the glues used give off noxious fumes?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2020, 10:39:42 AM »
I've been seeing projections of 50 years. Heck, my house is 70 years old. This stuff is the structure -- how do you replace the structure of a high-rise building?
Not sure how that would be done. 

I was thinking that reinforced concrete generally has a finite life as the steel reinforcement eventually gets exposed to the elements.  I am curious how that compared to this bulk plywood material.  On the other hand, if it is cheaper than steel, you might be able to design things so beams can be changed out without tearing things apart.

I also wonder if they would have inspection requirements for the wood support beams to make sure it is intact and not subject to rot, termites, or other problem.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2020, 12:19:18 PM »
I'm sort of confused by this life span thing...

Does plywood have a lifespan?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2020, 12:35:28 PM »
In high school, one odd job I had was helping a family friend with his home construction.  He had some unique ideas for his home, for sure.  Very unconventional building techniques.

One day, we took a flatbed truck out to the local airpark.  Evidently they had demolished a hangar recently.  It dated back to the 1930's.

This friend took a massive attic support beam from the demolished hangar back to his house site and cut it to length to serve as the spine of his sub-floor.  The support beam was a series of true-dimension 2x12 boards that had been laminated one upon the other with glue and nails to a final dimension of 14x12, IIRC. He cut out the very little bit of dryrot in the beam, patched it with an epoxy resin, then rigged a rather nifty floor leveling system to support this thing that allowed him to adjust the floor for level as the house or concrete foundation sagged over time.

The beam survived 60-odd years of eastern Washington weather, and then building demolition, to be reused as the spine of a new home that will stand for probably another 75-100 years.  It's a beautiful home today, just across the street from my old High School, a creek running through the property, he's got a waterwheel that generates power off the creek.  I know it's not quite laminate like being discussed here, but old wood getting reused has a sentimentality to it, and new laminate timber beams will end up being used 100 years from now by someone much like we reused that hangar rafter beam.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2020, 10:24:36 PM »
I'm sort of confused by this life span thing...

Does plywood have a lifespan?

In today's disposable culture it will likely outlast many of the structures it is used in.
How often do you see some commercial or civil building that is only 30 or so years old getting razed because it's obsolete or insufficient maintenance was done and it's cheaper to knock it down and start over?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2020, 01:00:24 PM »
In high school, one odd job I had was helping a family friend with his home construction.  He had some unique ideas for his home, for sure.  Very unconventional building techniques.

One day, we took a flatbed truck out to the local airpark.  Evidently they had demolished a hangar recently.  It dated back to the 1930's.

This friend took a massive attic support beam from the demolished hangar back to his house site and cut it to length to serve as the spine of his sub-floor.  The support beam was a series of true-dimension 2x12 boards that had been laminated one upon the other with glue and nails to a final dimension of 14x12, IIRC. He cut out the very little bit of dryrot in the beam, patched it with an epoxy resin, then rigged a rather nifty floor leveling system to support this thing that allowed him to adjust the floor for level as the house or concrete foundation sagged over time.

The beam survived 60-odd years of eastern Washington weather, and then building demolition, to be reused as the spine of a new home that will stand for probably another 75-100 years.  It's a beautiful home today, just across the street from my old High School, a creek running through the property, he's got a waterwheel that generates power off the creek.  I know it's not quite laminate like being discussed here, but old wood getting reused has a sentimentality to it, and new laminate timber beams will end up being used 100 years from now by someone much like we reused that hangar rafter beam.

We framed up our house and shop with recycled 8"x12" timbers from am old lumber mill.  They were roof trusses originally. Solid cut Doug fir. Also used a bunch of 6"x12"s that were stack laminated from 2x6 material. They must be going on 50 years at least.
  That waterwheel sounds really interesting- a good way to charge a battery bank. Got any details on it, design of the wheel/turbine ,how far away the stream is from house, etc?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2020, 12:40:29 PM »
We framed up our house and shop with recycled 8"x12" timbers from am old lumber mill.  They were roof trusses originally. Solid cut Doug fir. Also used a bunch of 6"x12"s that were stack laminated from 2x6 material. They must be going on 50 years at least.
  That waterwheel sounds really interesting- a good way to charge a battery bank. Got any details on it, design of the wheel/turbine ,how far away the stream is from house, etc?

It was 25 years ago, I definitely don't have any design data on it.  The wheel dips into Yellowhawk Creek, just north of Walla Walla High School in Walla Walla, WA.  The property is off Fern Ave, if you google-map the high school it's the L-shaped house off Fern with a roundabout driveway.  The stream is within 50 feet of the house.  I'd guess it produces somewhere around 300-500 watts, nearly 24x7 as long as the creek has water, and I don't remember it ever running dry or even low during my time at high school.  He didn't wire a battery bank into it or inverter, I remember him telling me it was wired so the power company would reimburse him for contributions to the grid if he had a surplus.  Then again, this was the mid-90's before the solar panel revolution made power companies revisit that policy.  The wheel was good-sized, and he poured a nice foundation for the wheelhouse that would have protected it from any flood erosion during high flow periods.  The wheel was probably 8-10 feet in diameter if I remember correctly.  It's a really pretty installation.  He always overbuilt everything.  :-)
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2020, 01:11:37 PM »
I'd guess it produces somewhere around 300-500 watts, nearly 24x7 as long as the creek has water, and I don't remember it ever running dry or even low during my time at high school.  He didn't wire a battery bank into it or inverter, I remember him telling me it was wired so the power company would reimburse him for contributions to the grid if he had a surplus. 

A surplus? From a wheel generating 300 to 500 watts? That's basically two or three light bulbs. Did you mean kilowatts, perhaps?