Author Topic: Electronic Back Issues of Newspapers  (Read 792 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Electronic Back Issues of Newspapers
« on: January 22, 2020, 12:49:51 PM »
So this seems dumb: Due to another thread here, I was going to buy yesterday's Wall Street Journal on Kindle to read a story. You can't do it. I can buy today's for $1.99, but that's it - today's or else subscribe. You would think they would have at least a couple of days back available for the single issue E-price. Seems like they would get plenty of people who had caught some blurb that was in their previous day's edition and would want to purchase and read it. Seems like a lost profit opportunity.

The WSJ website sells back issues of the print edition for $8.50. Yes, $8.50. Anyway, maybe it's just me, but I think that is dumb.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Electronic Back Issues of Newspapers
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 01:29:32 PM »
Got a library in town? Go there today and photo copy it, or use their computer and print it off.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 01:32:49 PM »
Got a library in town? Go there today and photo copy it, or use their computer and print it off.

Yeah, my town library carries the WSJ.  :rofl:

They might have back copies of home canning journal.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 01:36:06 PM »

Give them a call, they might it in print or have an electronic subscription. I lived in a town of 1500 at one time and they got the WSJ at the local library.

Uranus is a gas giant.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 02:30:39 PM »

You have axe throwers, you'll have the WSJ. ;)

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 03:56:50 PM »
Hint, hint, many public and academic library systems post online the user ID and password used to access various electronic media.  Why, I bet if you were to do a Google search: 'WSJ password library', you might find all sorts of interesting things.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 03:59:11 PM »
Hint, hint, many public and academic library systems post online the user ID and password used to access various electronic media.  Why, I bet if you were to do a Google search: 'WSJ password library', you might find all sorts of interesting things.

Interesting. :)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 04:19:18 PM »

may be tied to a certain IP range where one can enter those passwords.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 04:50:34 PM »
Or, many libraries require that you either enter a library card number or use the library computers or WiFi to access the electronic journals. I belong to two local county library systems, and between the two of them, have electronic access to a lot.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 08:18:28 PM »
I know my library doesn't do it, but I'll check into signing up with the Boise library and see if I can remote access stuff with them. The last library I was physically in was the university library in grad school, and I haven't been in a public library in literally 40 years. I'm sure they've changed since then.  =D

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 11:25:01 PM »
I know my library doesn't do it, but I'll check into signing up with the Boise library and see if I can remote access stuff with them. The last library I was physically in was the university library in grad school, and I haven't been in a public library in literally 40 years. I'm sure they've changed since then.  =D

I'm thinking Ben didn't even check. Most libraries have inter library loans too.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 08:40:26 AM »
I'm thinking Ben didn't even check. Most libraries have inter library loans too.

I'm thinking if I have to drive to a library and ask for an inter-library loan to read one article, then wait for the loan to get there, then drive back to the library, all for one article, the gas will cost me more than a WSJ subscription.

All my original question was asking is why the WSJ wouldn't have single back issues available for me to buy and immediately download to my Kindle so I can read one article out of curiosity. I'm not that curious.