Author Topic: Birthright Citizenship  (Read 4421 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Birthright Citizenship
« on: January 24, 2020, 02:27:12 AM »
https://hotair.com/archives/jazz-shaw/2020/01/23/come-birth-tourism-restrictions/

Seems to me the easiest and most Constitutionally defensible solution is to restrict birthright citizenship to children of citizens, permenant residents, and possibly immigrant visa holders.  That would eliminate it for illegal immigrants, birth tourists, etc which is probably the vast majority of the problem.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Birthright Citizenship
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 03:08:40 AM »
It is a problem that needs to be addressed. I'm not sure it can be fixed without a Constitutional amendment. The 14th Amendment says:

1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

On the one hand, it says all persons born in the United States shall be citizens. But it then talks about the state in which they reside, and a tourist is not a resident of any state. So you may be onto something.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 07:39:51 AM »
I suspect that given the current trend in American politics any attempt to deny citizenship to people born in the US of foreign parents here on tourist visa's would end up before the Supreme Court.  That's probably appropriate as well, given this isn't exactly a traffic ticket.

Lawyers would probably talk themselves into knots about that very clause: "the State wherein they reside".  What is residence?  If the parents get an electric bill, does that count?  People can reside in Hotel's for years, how long is a minimum time for residence? I'm sure there's a variety of other quibbles that could be made.

At very first glance, and being aware of the issues we face with Birth tourism, I tend to think if there's any question at all in how a law is written, the USSC should default to the position which gives the government less power and the individual more.  Which in this case would be that anyone born here is residing here as of that instant, and a citizen.  If it's really that much of an issue, change the amendment.

If you think about it on the 18 year timescale though, Russian and Chinese Birth tourism is a way in which they really could affect our elections, as opposed to "hacking" the DNC.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 09:02:27 AM »
I seem to recall the authors of the amendment being on record that that wasn't their intent.

It's been awhile since i looked into the issue so any links I kept are gone.

The "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" has a specific meaning also.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 09:04:05 AM »
I do worry about the effects of birth tourism, as much so as the effects of baby birthers sneaking in from the southern border popping out kids on US soil. I should read up on it more, but I'm really not sure what the benefits are to the birth tourism people. These are generally very wealthy people, so it doesn't seem they're doing it for "free stuff". Are there really solid reasons (nefarious or not) behind it, or is it some kind of international rich person's fad?

I don't like to see the system taken advantage of. I say this as a child born to non-citizen parents. I was born soon after my parents arrived on American soil. They became citizens as soon as they could, but not before I made my appearance.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 09:21:44 AM »
Get rid of 'free stuff' and most of the issues of immigration, border fences, and birthright citizenship become non-issues.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 09:22:53 AM »
These are generally very wealthy people, so it doesn't seem they're doing it for "free stuff". Are there really solid reasons (nefarious or not) behind it, or is it some kind of international rich person's fad?
Seems like it would make seeking education and work in the US much easier for the kid.  Also gives them a ripcord to pull if things go sideways in their country.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 10:57:17 AM »
If you think about it on the 18 year timescale though, Russian and Chinese Birth tourism is a way in which they really could affect our elections, as opposed to "hacking" the DNC.

I don't know about that. Anyone have numbers?
While I do agree it's a problem, I have a hard time believing it's more than a drop in the bucket compared to citizen births.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 11:09:23 AM »
Seems like it would make seeking education and work in the US much easier for the kid.  Also gives them a ripcord to pull if things go sideways in their country.

That's a good point. Before I left Santa Barbara, my condo complex, near UCSB, was getting bought up by Chinese and ME parents who were sending their kids to UCSB. They found buying a condo (vs renting) a good investment, so were basically buying their kids condos and Beemers to attend school. Given how may of them want to give their kids a US education, I can see that "plus" for the tourism.

[Dons tinfoil hat] Watching Fox Business this morning, they said China, Russia, and Turkey(?) were by far the greatest percentage of birther tourists. Again, tinfoil in place, China, for example is a very old country. Despite many "governments" over the last couple thousand years, I suspect that culturally, thinking in terms of twenty years ahead is the same as us, in our ~250 year old country, thinking two years ahead.  I could easily seeing them looking at a 20-30 year plan to grow US citizen Chinese assets.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 11:13:38 AM »
I suspect that given the current trend in American politics any attempt to deny citizenship to people born in the US of foreign parents here on tourist visa's would end up before the Supreme Court.  That's probably appropriate as well, given this isn't exactly a traffic ticket.

Lawyers would probably talk themselves into knots about that very clause: "the State wherein they reside".  What is residence?  If the parents get an electric bill, does that count?  People can reside in Hotel's for years, how long is a minimum time for residence? I'm sure there's a variety of other quibbles that could be made.

I know I'm a simple-minded sort of chap but, IMHO, the notion of a "tourist" visa might be a good place to start when asking who is a resident and who isn't. The stickier wicket will be the illegal aliens, who ARE residents -- just not legally so.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 03:00:56 PM »
"All persons born ... in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States ..."

That "and" I think is key.  Are aliens present illegally or on a non-immigrant visa "subject to the jurisdiction" of the USA?  IANAL and all, but I think a good argument can be made that the answer is no. 

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 07:33:48 PM »
If you can be hauled before a court in the US to answer a claim or charge, you are subject to its jurisdiction.

The problem with trying to interpret out birthright citizenship is that the clause was specifically drafted to ensure children of people who arguably weren’t citizens (slaves) were in fact deemed to be citizens. That being the history and intent of the clause, it’s near impossible to twist the language to fit modern immigration issues.

New rules that don’t specifically make the children of non-citizens into citizens require new text.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 08:39:27 PM »
If you can be hauled before a court in the US to answer a claim or charge, you are subject to its jurisdiction.

The problem with trying to interpret out birthright citizenship is that the clause was specifically drafted to ensure children of people who arguably weren’t citizens (slaves) were in fact deemed to be citizens. That being the history and intent of the clause, it’s near impossible to twist the language to fit modern immigration issues.

New rules that don’t specifically make the children of non-citizens into citizens require new text.

Bull.

I got a speeding ticket in Iceland one time and that doesn't make me a citizen of Iceland, though I'm obligated to pay it.

Traffic camera,  for the curious.  for 3 MPH over.  Not paying proper attention while driving in KMH vs MPH is expensive.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 12:19:43 PM »
It is a problem that needs to be addressed. I'm not sure it can be fixed without a Constitutional amendment. The 14th Amendment says:

On the one hand, it says all persons born in the United States shall be citizens. But it then talks about the state in which they reside, and a tourist is not a resident of any state. So you may be onto something.

A point of contention is what the authors meant by "subject to its jurisdiction" means.   Despite Deselby's  generic assertion,  it seems authorities are divided on this point.   An authoritative text I have has stated that one author of the 14th am.  included a phrase specifically stating it did not apply to immigrants or visitors.  This wording did not make it into the final draft....possibly  because it was believed redundant considering a >possible < interpretation of "subject to its jurisdiction."

Complicating the matter is that there are atleast two prior court decisions stating that, indeed,  if you are born in America, then you are a citizen.   So, "stare decisis."

It isn't as easy to suss out true intents as one might think  hope .... >:D

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2020, 03:06:22 PM »
A point of contention is what the authors meant by "subject to its jurisdiction" means.   Despite Deselby's  generic assertion,  it seems authorities are divided on this point.   An authoritative text I have has stated that one author of the 14th am.  included a phrase specifically stating it did not apply to immigrants or visitors.  This wording did not make it into the final draft....possibly  because it was believed redundant considering a >possible < interpretation of "subject to its jurisdiction."

Complicating the matter is that there are atleast two prior court decisions stating that, indeed,  if you are born in America, then you are a citizen.   So, "stare decisis."

Sort of like the final wording of the Second Amendment.

As if we needed proof that if there's any way for future generations to misconstrue the intent of laws if the drafters leave out the parts they consider "redundant" -- they will always default to misinterpreting them.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2020, 05:33:29 PM »
Always read a proposed law with the worst possible interpretation and intent in mind.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 08:31:47 PM »
Bull.

I got a speeding ticket in Iceland one time and that doesn't make me a citizen of Iceland, though I'm obligated to pay it.

Traffic camera,  for the curious.  for 3 MPH over.  Not paying proper attention while driving in KMH vs MPH is expensive.

Is this for real? “Subject to the jurisdiction of” (which you were in Iceland) is part of the text of the US constitution that specified criteria for citizenship.

What possible relationship could this example have to Icelandic rules about citizenship? I can’t see how any of this is remotely relevant to what we are talking about.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2020, 08:35:46 PM »

The authorities are not divided on this. The relevant Supreme Court decision is clear on the question. There are no competing Supreme Court decisions.

The intent of the clause was to ensure people born in the US were citizens, even if their parents were not (it was a direct response to the dredd Scott decision.

The history of the amendment is why it gets interpreted this way, and why it can’t be interpreted away. It does what it was intended to do - confer citizenship on people born in the US even when their parents may not have been citizens.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2020, 12:32:08 AM »
Sorry, DeSelby, the authorities are divided on this,  because .... they ARE divided.

It happens when authorities DISAGREE with each other.  It happens.  

Take the 2nd amendment.  To me, it's intent is 100% clear.   But experts --  er,  "experts"  have disagreed.

I've seen it happen.   It's happened on the 14th, too, like it or not.  It's what "subject to its jurisdiction" meant at the time .... versus two court decisions. And with regard to that quoted phrase,  what the authors intended, versus court decisions.

I'm not saying you're wrong .... I don't have a dog in the fight, just an ant.  

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2020, 05:50:21 AM »
Always read a proposed law with the worst possible interpretation and intent in mind.

Excellent advice.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2020, 02:03:21 PM »
The authorities are not divided on this. The relevant Supreme Court decision is clear on the question. There are no competing Supreme Court decisions.

The intent of the clause was to ensure people born in the US were citizens, even if their parents were not (it was a direct response to the dredd Scott decision.

The history of the amendment is why it gets interpreted this way, and why it can’t be interpreted away. It does what it was intended to do - confer citizenship on people born in the US even when their parents may not have been citizens.

It's not as clear as your rhetoric insinuates.

https://www.heritage.org/the-constitution/report/birthright-citizenship-and-the-constitution
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2020, 02:09:37 PM »
At the time the 14th Amendment was written, there was no such thing as illegal immigration, so if it would have been intended to apply to the children of illegal immigrants is hard to figure out.  There are good arguments to made either way.

"subject to the jurisdiction of" was meant to exclude people like American Indians, which were considered to be citizens of their respective tribes, not the USA.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2020, 02:17:19 PM »
At the time the 14th Amendment was written, there was no such thing as illegal immigration, so if it would have been intended to apply to the children of illegal immigrants is hard to figure out.  There are good arguments to made either way.

"subject to the jurisdiction of" was meant to exclude people like American Indians, which were considered to be citizens of their respective tribes, not the USA.

Try squaring the circle of the plethora of US "citizens" with dual citizenship.

Congress needs to clarify by ending both birthright and dual citizenship.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2020, 07:53:58 AM »
It's not as clear as your rhetoric insinuates.

https://www.heritage.org/the-constitution/report/birthright-citizenship-and-the-constitution

This illustrates my point. In defence of saying it’s not clear, you cite a soft sciences professor from one of the most politically charged think tanks in the country. Not a Supreme Court decision, not a Supreme Court judge, not even a quote from a politician who drafted the amendment or debated it.

“Authority” surely means something other than what’s at that link.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2020, 07:54:55 AM »
At the time the 14th Amendment was written, there was no such thing as illegal immigration, so if it would have been intended to apply to the children of illegal immigrants is hard to figure out.  There are good arguments to made either way.

You seriously think no one arrived illegally by boat or land at that time?????

Either way, Indians were in fact legally treated as sovereigns in many respects, just like diplomats. Hence the jurisdictional clause. At those times the USA recognised tribes as foreign nations, which they still consider themselves to be in some parts.