Author Topic: It's official! The Corona Virus is going to kill us all!  (Read 7492 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: It's official! The Corona Virus is going to kill us all!
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2020, 06:09:07 AM »
I'm not all that worried about the corona virus.  Everything from China breaks or fails, so it won't be around long.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2020, 01:13:03 PM »
This novel strain of the coronavirus does have the potential to be just like MERS which is a another coronavirus that has a 30% mortality rate of those who get infected.

Coronavirus gets is name because of a ring of sugary proteins that surround the envelope of the viral package. Corona means crown. 
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2020, 10:26:56 PM »
Yes, the "normal" flu kills many more people than this beer virus.  And the beer virus doesn't seem like it's going t o reach those kind of numbers.

But, how can we tell it's time to run/hide/hunker down if/when an actual killer virus does show up?  How to tell when the "Aw *expletive deleted*it!" moment has arrived?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2020, 07:22:24 AM »
"But, how can we tell it's time to run/hide/hunker down if/when an actual killer virus does show up?"

When you cough and your lungs pop out of your mouth. That's a sign.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2020, 12:08:11 PM »
Yes, the "normal" flu kills many more people than this beer virus.  And the beer virus doesn't seem like it's going t o reach those kind of numbers.

But, how can we tell it's time to run/hide/hunker down if/when an actual killer virus does show up?  How to tell when the "Aw *expletive deleted*it!" moment has arrived?

A bit of a personal decision based on your own risk tolerance and whatnot.  Detection and reporting will lag actual infections.  Anyway, I personally wouldn't be particularly concerned until the following conditions are met:

1) Community spread in the local region / contact tracing has broken down.
2) Disease that is significantly infections /easily spread.
3) Disease has significant mortality rate for otherwise healthy folks.

This would prompt me to limit contact with people as much as possible, become more fastidious about hand hygiene and carefully watch local developments.

My wife and I are both tied into the medical industry, so it's entirely possible that either or both of us will become involved as part of the response effort, which also increases risk, but so be it - somebody needs to help folks fighting for their lives. 

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2020, 05:15:16 PM »
I'm wondering how much of those paper masks' protection is due to the fact that they discourage touching your nose and mouth after your fingers have been contaminated with outside germs.

I know they aren't worth much in terms of actual filtering, especially if you need a shave or have many wrinkles.

Terry, 230RN

Wearing oven mitts would probably be just as effective.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2020, 08:09:25 AM »
Interesting tangent: I don't know the accuracy, but heard it on the news this morning: China apparently manufactures 90% of our generic drugs for us. That was a surprisingly high percentage to me.

Certainly makes for some interesting tinfoil biowar speculation. There's a zombie apocalypse novel in there somewhere.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2020, 09:43:09 AM »
Interesting tangent: I don't know the accuracy, but heard it on the news this morning: China apparently manufactures 90% of our generic drugs for us. That was a surprisingly high percentage to me.

Got a news source for that?

I can see tech/active ingredients being China sourced, but not the finished product.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2020, 09:47:56 AM »
Got a news source for that?

I can see tech/active ingredients being China sourced, but not the finished product.

Did you read my post and the caveat? I said I saw it on the news, Fox Business,  I believe Dr Nicole Saphire. If i had an article, I would have posted it.

EDIT: To satisfy currently contrarian curmudgeon Charby, I did his skeptic googling for him, using commie pinko news sources he approves of:

https://www.wired.com/story/8-ways-overseas-drug-manufacturers-dupe-fda/

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/05/16/723545864/the-generic-drugs-youre-taking-may-not-be-as-safe-or-effective-as-you-think
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 10:03:35 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2020, 12:53:52 PM »
Ayeiieeee! If the generics thing is true, I would definitely want to know the source of the genetics before taking them and definitely would not take one if it were made in China.
I’ve been in the chemical/pharmaceutical industry for over 20 years, and have seen very few suppliers of any chemical from China that wasn’t completely sketchy.  Many that I’ve dealt with were dishonest at best, and outright fraudulent at worst.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2020, 01:23:21 PM »
Did you read my post and the caveat? I said I saw it on the news, Fox Business,  I believe Dr Nicole Saphire. If i had an article, I would have posted it.

EDIT: To satisfy currently contrarian curmudgeon Charby, I did his skeptic googling for him, using commie pinko news sources he approves of:

https://www.wired.com/story/8-ways-overseas-drug-manufacturers-dupe-fda/

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/05/16/723545864/the-generic-drugs-youre-taking-may-not-be-as-safe-or-effective-as-you-think

Didn't know a simple question was so offensive, what's your address again so I can send you a Snickers.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2020, 01:26:14 PM »
Ayeiieeee! If the generics thing is true, I would definitely want to know the source of the genetics before taking them and definitely would not take one if it were made in China.
I’ve been in the chemical/pharmaceutical industry for over 20 years, and have seen very few suppliers of any chemical from China that wasn’t completely sketchy.  Many that I’ve dealt with were dishonest at best, and outright fraudulent at worst.

I'm used to the pesticide chemical trade stream, because of my work, it's crazy how much technical material is sourced from China and formulated here. Especially the generic pesticides. I know in my line of work, I do draw samples of formulation from trade stream to check the purity as advertised.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 11:19:15 PM by charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2020, 09:23:39 PM »
Corona Virus is gonna kill us all? Damn. I was hoping to meet my end at the hands of a jealous husband ...

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2020, 09:28:11 PM »
Well some relationships se m to be more open these days.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Cliffh

• friend

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2020, 10:44:55 PM »
Nasty little bugger.

Doesn't China have a population problem?

Not for long maybe...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2020, 07:32:31 AM »
Didn't know a simple question was so offensive, what's your address again so I can send you a Snickers.

I appreciate the offer, but USPS doesn't deliver to me and I need to take like six bus transfers to get to the UPS pickup because everyone is always stealing my packages.  =D

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2020, 09:38:11 AM »
I appreciate the offer, but USPS doesn't deliver to me and I need to take like six bus transfers to get to the UPS pickup because everyone is always stealing my packages.  =D

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2020, 04:55:51 PM »
There are reports that it has been confirmed the virus escaped the lab near ground zero.

The conspiracy theories are being proved true more frequently than the straight mainstream news [tinfoil]
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2020, 08:49:49 PM »
There are reports that it has been confirmed the virus escaped the lab near ground zero.

The conspiracy theories occam’s razor being proved true more frequently than the straight mainstream news [tinfoil]

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends

Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2020, 01:51:58 PM »
https://twitter.com/ezracheungtoto/status/1228637753941753857?s=09

#BREAKING: South China University of Technology biologist Xiao Botao exposed that the #COVID19 might have originated from an animal research lab 280m away from the epicentre of the outbreak. The scientists were reportedly bitten by bats used for a test on louse. H/T:
@mantaichow

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2020, 01:54:03 PM »
12 Monkeys Snakes Bats
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes