Author Topic: RIP Kirk Douglas  (Read 1749 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
RIP Kirk Douglas
« on: February 05, 2020, 09:09:57 PM »

Kirk Douglas, actor and Hollywood legend, dead at 103, family says
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/kirk-douglas-dead-103-family
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: RIP Kirk Douglas
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 09:19:15 PM »
A great actor from the golden years in Hollywood.  There are none like him anymore.  He will be missed.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 09:30:22 PM »
103?

Yikes! I had no idea he was that old (although I should have, considering when he was active, and how old his son is). He was certainly one of the greats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usad7C3xok0
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 10:19:44 PM »
RIP to a great actor.

103 is a fine long run,  may he rest easy, all politics aside.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 10:26:26 PM »
Spartacus
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

JN01

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 10:34:02 PM »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 10:41:42 PM »
Betty white was tired of the competition.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 07:36:45 AM »
Far as I'm concerned his best performance was in Paths of Glory.

And I had NO idea that he was a voice in the Simpsons.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 09:05:08 AM »
Lots of great roles and a helluva career. One of my personal favs is Tough Guys with Burt Lancaster.

RIP

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 09:15:57 AM »
RIP. One of the greats from when actors were actors, and not political activists and life nags. If he did any political activism, it was such that I'm not aware of it, which means he was a regular guy.

Hell of a run in age as well, and it appears he was relatively healthy for that age, versus spending the last years bedridden.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 09:20:52 AM »
Reaching that age - 103 - is even more impressive when you consider that he survived and largely recovered from a severe stroke in 1996 when he was around 80.

One of the last links to Hollywood before it became Hollyweird, well, they don't make 'em like that any more.

RIP, Kirk.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 10:32:27 AM »
Rest in peace, sir.

I have always enjoyed Kirk Douglas's movies. I just discovered a new one I'll have to watch soon. "Cast a Giant Shadow".
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 12:37:19 PM »
Lots of great roles and a helluva career. One of my personal favs is Tough Guys with Burt Lancaster.

RIP

Kirk Douglas was one of the old-timers who could play any role well, from a hero to a scoundrel -- to outright comedy. Tough Guys is a good example. Another good example (albeit not such a good movie) was his role as Cactus Jack in The Villain. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Villain_(1979_film)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 12:41:25 PM »
RIP. One of the greats from when actors were actors, and not political activists and life nags. If he did any political activism, it was such that I'm not aware of it, which means he was a regular guy.

Hell of a run in age as well, and it appears he was relatively healthy for that age, versus spending the last years bedridden.

He started to Bryna Productions in 1952 to create films with the blacklisted "communist" Hollywood folks. We didn't have facebook/twitter/twitchy/myspace/instragram/Armed Polite Society in the 1950s, so that is how they did it. Or be in the film at 11 on the news.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2020, 12:55:57 PM »
He started to Bryna Productions in 1952 to create films with the blacklisted "communist" Hollywood folks. We didn't have facebook/twitter/twitchy/myspace/instragram/Armed Polite Society in the 1950s, so that is how they did it. Or be in the film at 11 on the news.

He's said plenty of dem/commie stuff in the last ten years, but I had to look it up, because he wasn't tweeting it into my face like Bette Midler. Which was my point - he seemed decent enough not to shove his opinions down people's throats, so if he had politics diametrically opposed to mine, it's all good.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2020, 01:31:23 PM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2020, 01:40:04 PM »
I forgot that he, Burt Lancaster, and Laurence Olivier starred in a rather.... odd... Revolutionary War set piece comedy called The Devil's Disciples.

I've not seen it in years, but I enjoyed it quite a bit even if I found it to be... odd.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2020, 01:41:12 PM »
He's said plenty of dem/commie stuff in the last ten years, but I had to look it up, because he wasn't tweeting it into my face like Bette Midler. Which was my point - he seemed decent enough not to shove his opinions down people's throats, so if he had politics diametrically opposed to mine, it's all good.

Like I said, they didn't have the same social media or 24/7 news like we do now. If they did you'd be complaining about the golden age of Hollywood liberals.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2020, 02:05:52 PM »
If you want to discuss this in another thread, I'll happily do so, but I'm not going to continue political discussions in the RIP thread. I'll leave my last post in this thread with my original thought - he seemed like a regular guy and a good Joe.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2020, 02:09:28 PM »
Silly Ben! He didn't pass someone's personal conservative purity test! That means he's evil... EVIL!

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2020, 09:57:03 PM »
Loved him in "In Harms way" and "The war wagon".

So what if his politics were left of *insert random ahole*,  you didn't hear about them often.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2020, 10:08:07 PM »

Rest in peace, Kirk Douglas.  I enjoyed your movies.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 06:08:57 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2020, 08:39:11 AM »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2020, 09:06:39 AM »
Kirk Douglas was one of the old-timers who could play any role well, from a hero to a scoundrel -- to outright comedy. Tough Guys is a good example. Another good example (albeit not such a good movie) was his role as Cactus Jack in The Villain. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Villain_(1979_film)
Tough Guys was one of the first movies I thought of.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge