Author Topic: BLM fails at seizing cattle in Nevada so goes after farmland in Texas  (Read 7118 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: BLM fails at seizing cattle in Nevada so goes after farmland in Texas
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 10:48:37 AM »
My google-fu doesn't immediately answer the question, so I must ask: What's Thor's Hammer Solution?

Mjölnir = "That which smashes"

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 10:53:01 AM »
The federal .gov can't adequately manage the land it already lays claim to. They should not be even considering appropriating more.

We can't even fix this problem at the local level.  The city is constantly doing the "We can't keep up with repairs to the streets and sewers, but we're going to annex more anyway."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 10:55:43 AM »
My google-fu doesn't immediately answer the question, so I must ask: What's Thor's Hammer Solution?

I'm hoping it's Jerry Pournelle's orbital kinetic bombardment system.  Perry never quite lives up to my highest expectations, though.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2020, 11:47:54 AM »
Talking to Dad this morning and he mentioned that the original case had settled a couple years back, and that a few other positives have come about since. It appears I didn't do any followup so here's a quick revisit in the interest of closure and complete info.

TLDR version: The BLM figured out they were about to get their poop forcefully reinserted so they "settled" (attorney-spin for the BLM giving up and slinking away like the rotten, petty, yellow cowards they are). Boundaries reverted to pre-redraw locations and boundary criteria clarified. Later, a Texas attempt at making sure the BLM used third-party surveyors rather than their own internal crews as a way to ensure objectivity. More recently, a ruling mandated that fed access to the properties was strictly limited, requiring landholder pre-notification and adherence to a designated route. I see some references to a more structured and independently-managed survey program currently in progress, but didn't follow the rabbit hole.

The 2017 settlement.
https://www.texastribune.org/2017/11/08/texas-red-river-land-lawsuit-ends-settlement/

More recent update on proposed restrictions greatly limiting the BLM's surveying authorities, including a requirement for surveys to be done by disinterested third parties.
https://www.timesrecordnews.com/story/news/local/2019/02/09/measure-protects-landowners-embroiled-red-river-boundary-clash/2825255002/

Late 2019 ruling which puts strict limits on fed access to private land along the Red River. (i.e. no more of this "go wherever, whenever, just because we can" business)
https://texasfarmbureau.org/judge-allow-federal-access-private-property-along-red-river/

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2020, 11:50:23 AM »
Kneel before BLM!

Oh wait, wrong BLM
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes