Author Topic: Fighting back in Alabama  (Read 3672 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Fighting back in Alabama
« on: February 14, 2020, 03:50:30 PM »
https://www.kwqc.com/content/news/Alabama-bill-would-force-men-to-get-vasectomy-at-50-567877601.html?fbclid=IwAR2dYhXW0aYgji6776lV2zFy4cbU2_s1rjqqJihBMstNJTHb6tm5bK_1fp0

Going to be a wild time in Alabama, pro choice women in Alabama are fighting back. Glad I don't live there.

Snip, snip, Alabama men over 50 or after 3rd biological child is born if it passes.

This bill was filed the same day HB 248, also known as the “born alive” bill, was reintroduced in the House. That bill would require a physician to “exercise reasonable care” to save a child born alive after an abortion or attempted abortion.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Fighting back in Alabama
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 04:18:38 PM »
...pro choice women in Alabama are fighting back.

They want to force men to get vasectomies, and you call them pro-choice? ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 04:23:35 PM »
 :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

And their fighting back is just stupid. And everyone who sees this will realize how stupid it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h4DZeBleLs
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 04:34:58 PM »

They want to force men to get vasectomies, and you call them pro-choice? ???

Well we only have 2 labels these days for that issue, do we need to add more like genders?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 05:02:23 PM »
Well we only have 2 labels these days for that issue, do we need to add more like genders?

"Pro-abortion" is the objective label we would use, if we wanted to be, like, objective and descriptive; instead of using weasel words.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 05:19:40 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 05:42:24 PM »
"Pro-abortion" is the objective label we would use, if we wanted to be, like, objective and descriptive; instead of using weasel words.

The thing is many of them are not pro-abortion, many want access to affordable and safe birth control, educational resources for youth and adults in preventing pregnancies and sexual health. Yes, they do support the decision to be made by the woman carrying the fetus/zygote, but they also support measures, such as education to reduce the reasons why women would need an abortion. Abstinence doesn't work for everyone, not everyone wants to make that choice.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 05:58:11 PM »
How much more *expletive deleted*ing available can birth control get??? There isn’t a single *expletive deleted*ing problem getting it, even low cost or free. Hell you can get it by an app on your smart phone

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 06:11:02 PM »
How much more *expletive deleted*ing available can birth control get??? There isn’t a single *expletive deleted*ing problem getting it, even low cost or free. Hell you can get it by an app on your smart phone

Yes, this. I thought I'd remembered Walmart was selling them for a deep discount. At $9/mo, they are actually priced higher than some others.

Walmart actually has nine different generic birth control pills available for $9 a month, according to their $4 generic drug list (apparently they can’t do it for $4?). Sprintec and what I’m guessing is a variant called tri-sprintec appear to be the only birth control pills offered by Target as part of their $4 generics program.

If in fact you really are looking for a $4 generic birth control pill, there are still options. Philith and gildagia, both generic versions of Ovcon, are available at Target as well as what GoodRx can only identify as a local membership warehouse (i.e. Costco, Sam’s Club, or BJ’s) for $3.77. Other local pharmacies including Safeway, Walmart, and CVS all carry the same pills for about $6 or $7.

If cost is an issue, and as long as there are no individual medical issues for you with those particular drugs, skip McDonalds once a month. Or make the guy wear a condom. If either of those low cost choices don't work for you, then try abstinence.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 06:38:03 PM »

I'm pretty sure the folks who live in the large urban blighted areas who have to take a 2-3 bus transfers to get to a Wal-Mart might beg to differ. Places that UPS/Fed Ex won't deliver either.

Not everywhere has a county health office for the poor folks either.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 06:44:07 PM »
Places that UPS/Fed Ex won't deliver either.

Come on, Charby - that's reaching a bit. USPS delivers prescriptions as well. Between the three, where in the US can't you get a delivery?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 06:59:32 PM »
Come on, Charby - that's reaching a bit. USPS delivers prescriptions as well. Between the three, where in the US can't you get a delivery?

I have a feeling you aren't going to get that package to your doorstep due to theft, hence needing to take a couple buses to a place to pick up your package.

Also need a medical exam/prescription to get birth control pills/shots/implants. They aren't a one size fits all product.

Have you ever been deep in those neighborhoods where whitey is definitely a minority.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 07:14:10 PM »
Almost the same response to draconian gun control:
I will not *expletive deleted*ing comply :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 08:30:31 PM »
 ;/

charby,

The point of contention is not birth control.  You are well aware of this and to bring it up as the crux of the issue is disingenuous at best.

If the goal was really the ubiquitous availability of birth control, and if Planned Parenthood or some other group wanted to open clinics offering simply free birth control pills, condoms, and the necessary medical exams 24x7 they'd receive about the number of protests that a GP or Kroger pharmacy would get.

The correct, non-marketing wank terms for each side are pro-abortion and anti-abortion.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 08:37:36 PM »
As an Alabamian ..... I'm buying more ammunition.   .....Again.

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Fighting back in Alabama
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 08:39:37 PM »
Never mind
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2020, 09:28:33 PM »
I have a feeling you aren't going to get that package to your doorstep due to theft, hence needing to take a couple buses to a place to pick up your package.

Also need a medical exam/prescription to get birth control pills/shots/implants. They aren't a one size fits all product.

Have you ever been deep in those neighborhoods where whitey is definitely a minority.

Come on, man. Now you're using the "voter ID is unfair, even if IDs are free" line with the bus connections. Somehow when states make drivers licenses (that have an associated fee) for illegal aliens available, their DMVs are suddenly inundated with people wanting licenses, to the point that in places like CA, other people have to make appointments two months out for service. Somehow these poor people are getting to the DMV to get something they want.

Presumably if these people need to make multiple bus connections to get to a doctor or pharmacy, they have to do the same to get to work. Or if your premise is that they are poor and on welfare, then they're taking buses to the welfare office to pick up their checks, because they can't get them through the mail, because you claim their mail is getting stolen. So they can certainly work in a stop at the clinic and the Walmart. Your neighborhoods where "whitey is a minority" have all kinds of public transport alternatives that "whitey" rural areas do not. A couple of 50 cent bus connections is cheaper and faster than driving 50 miles to the city.

Or as is the case in most urban and suburban areas, the USPS has replaced individual mailboxes with neighborhood lockboxes for mail, so they can just have their $5/mo prescription mailed to them.

And to the general point, the only reason you HAVE to have sex is to procreate. Any other sex is recreational and people do it because it's fun. It's not a right and doesn't deserve "free stuff" in the health care sense any more than someone has the right to free cosmetic surgery. You said, "abstinence doesn't work for everyone and not everyone wants to make that choice." Well, tough *expletive deleted*it for them. I want to take helicopter rides every weekend, but it's not my right and I can't afford to, so I don't. If someone (again, specific medical contraindication aside) can't afford $5/mo birth control (or the guy condoms), or it's somehow too much of a hassle for them to provide the equipment for their recreation, I'm not feeling sorry for them. If we're handing out free birth control, then I want free bullets too, so I can go shooting for free.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2020, 11:59:45 PM »
;/

charby,

The point of contention is not birth control.  You are well aware of this and to bring it up as the crux of the issue is disingenuous at best.

If the goal was really the ubiquitous availability of birth control, and if Planned Parenthood or some other group wanted to open clinics offering simply free birth control pills, condoms, and the necessary medical exams 24x7 they'd receive about the number of protests that a GP or Kroger pharmacy would get.

The correct, non-marketing wank terms for each side are pro-abortion and anti-abortion.

Go back and re read what I posted, I did say they still want abortion to be an choice for the woman to make. Also abortions have been legal for coast to coast longer than most of us on here have been alive, I said most, you aren't putting that genie back in the bottle. If it magically became illegal from coast to coast tomorrow, people are still going to seek them out, would you rather have it done medically in a clean safe environment, one and done medical visit, or done in some underground location and potentially becoming a expensive multiple tax payer paid medical trip due to infections?

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2020, 12:01:24 AM »
Come on, man. Now you're using the "voter ID is unfair, even if IDs are free" line with the bus connections. Somehow when states make drivers licenses (that have an associated fee) for illegal aliens available, their DMVs are suddenly inundated with people wanting licenses, to the point that in places like CA, other people have to make appointments two months out for service. Somehow these poor people are getting to the DMV to get something they want.

Presumably if these people need to make multiple bus connections to get to a doctor or pharmacy, they have to do the same to get to work. Or if your premise is that they are poor and on welfare, then they're taking buses to the welfare office to pick up their checks, because they can't get them through the mail, because you claim their mail is getting stolen. So they can certainly work in a stop at the clinic and the Walmart. Your neighborhoods where "whitey is a minority" have all kinds of public transport alternatives that "whitey" rural areas do not. A couple of 50 cent bus connections is cheaper and faster than driving 50 miles to the city.

Or as is the case in most urban and suburban areas, the USPS has replaced individual mailboxes with neighborhood lockboxes for mail, so they can just have their $5/mo prescription mailed to them.

And to the general point, the only reason you HAVE to have sex is to procreate. Any other sex is recreational and people do it because it's fun. It's not a right and doesn't deserve "free stuff" in the health care sense any more than someone has the right to free cosmetic surgery. You said, "abstinence doesn't work for everyone and not everyone wants to make that choice." Well, tough *expletive deleted*it for them. I want to take helicopter rides every weekend, but it's not my right and I can't afford to, so I don't. If someone (again, specific medical contraindication aside) can't afford $5/mo birth control (or the guy condoms), or it's somehow too much of a hassle for them to provide the equipment for their recreation, I'm not feeling sorry for them. If we're handing out free birth control, then I want free bullets too, so I can go shooting for free.

Would you rather pay for welfare for a life time of a crotch fruit or pay a lot less in birth control?

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2020, 01:21:22 AM »
Go back and re read what I posted, I did say they still want abortion to be an choice for the woman to make. Also abortions have been legal for coast to coast longer than most of us on here have been alive, I said most, you aren't putting that genie back in the bottle. If it magically became illegal from coast to coast tomorrow, people are still going to seek them out, would you rather have it done medically in a clean safe environment, one and done medical visit, or done in some underground location and potentially becoming a expensive multiple tax payer paid medical trip due to infections?
That last is a really crappy argument for making something illegal.  People shoplift even though it is illegal.  Is that a reason to make theft legal?  No.  Also, a lot of people don't want to make it illegal coast to coast at the federal level.  They just want to get rid of Roe vs Wade and let the 50 states do their own thing like it is supposed to be.  It isn't a constitutional right and it isn't a federal issue.   

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2020, 01:24:06 AM »
Would you rather pay for welfare for a life time of a crotch fruit or pay a lot less in birth control?

How about neither.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2020, 08:06:59 AM »
Go back and re read what I posted, I did say they still want abortion to be an choice for the woman to make.
Reread what I wrote.  I know exactly what you were saying and what you were trying to do in how you said it.  You were attempting to minimize the significance of abortion to the conflict and threw out the red herring of "but it's really more about affordable and available birth control" and went on to try to make minorities out as incapable naifs, unable to do accomplish anything without it being handed directly to them.

Also abortions have been legal for coast to coast longer than most of us on here have been alive, I said most, you aren't putting that genie back in the bottle.
So exactly what are those brave "pro-choice" women "fighting back" against?

If it magically became illegal from coast to coast tomorrow, people are still going to seek them out, would you rather have it done medically in a clean safe environment, one and done medical visit, or done in some underground location and potentially becoming a expensive multiple tax payer paid medical trip due to infections?
Oh my, I had never considered that  And of course we should apply the same rational to everything else right? 

People are still going to commit rape, so shouldn't we make rape legal so that rapists don't have to murder their victims?  Maybe we could make safe "rape rooms" for them where it can be done in a clean, safe environment?  We could even dispense birth control at the rape rooms.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2020, 08:20:07 AM »
How about neither.

What he said. It's only an either/or if we as a society allow it to be. Also, I specifically gave examples of easy, very low cost birth control options. "Pay a lot less for birth control options" is already a thing.

And on a tangent, I wonder how $5/mo for recreational birth control pills make people with terrible illnesses, who have to pay hundreds of dollars a month for life preserving medication, feel? We practically give away recreational drugs while charging people an arm and a leg for lifesaving drugs, when maybe it should be the other way around, or at least equal on the low cost.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2020, 09:27:28 AM »
That last is a really crappy argument for making something illegal.  People shoplift even though it is illegal.  Is that a reason to make theft legal?  No.  Also, a lot of people don't want to make it illegal coast to coast at the federal level.  They just want to get rid of Roe vs Wade and let the 50 states do their own thing like it is supposed to be.  It isn't a constitutional right and it isn't a federal issue.   

Shoplifting/theft and Abortion are 2 separate things. Neither is germane.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2020, 09:31:01 AM »
How about neither.

You know that isn't an option, neither one of use is controlling anything, we are at the subject to the decisions of whomever is elected to "represent" us.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2020, 09:39:38 AM »
Reread what I wrote.  I know exactly what you were saying and what you were trying to do in how you said it.  You were attempting to minimize the significance of abortion to the conflict and threw out the red herring of "but it's really more about affordable and available birth control" and went on to try to make minorities out as incapable naifs, unable to do accomplish anything without it being handed directly to them.
So exactly what are those brave "pro-choice" women "fighting back" against?
Oh my, I had never considered that  And of course we should apply the same rational to everything else right? 

People are still going to commit rape, so shouldn't we make rape legal so that rapists don't have to murder their victims?  Maybe we could make safe "rape rooms" for them where it can be done in a clean, safe environment?  We could even dispense birth control at the rape rooms.

Your last paragraph is a ridiculous argument.

What are they fighting back against? Men who don't have the same body parts, men who don't have the burden of carrying a child to term, I have no clue what it is personally like to have a child, how can I make a decision for that sex that does.

There is no red herring, if you can separate yourself from your emotions and actually listen to the prochoice people, they are really advocating for ways to reduce the need for abortions while not making them illegal. Certain groups of people do not want sex education or ability for cheap/easy to get birth control because it goes against their beliefs, so everyone should be subject to those beliefs. What happened to if you don't want something, don't do it/buy it. Excuse your little Sally/Johnny from sex ed, but don't complain if they become teen parents or catch herpes. 

Uranus is a gas giant.