Author Topic: Planes VS Storm  (Read 986 times)

Andiron

• friend
Planes VS Storm
« on: February 14, 2020, 06:10:57 PM »
Found this on Reddit.  Good video of planes taking off and landing in a nasty windy mess.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/f3taeq/the_effect_storm_ciara_had_on_aircraft_over_the/
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Planes VS Storm
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 06:43:33 PM »
Looks fun.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 08:35:24 PM »
Question for Fly320s: Just a few days ago I watched one of Juan Brown's videos on the Blancolirio Channel. He was talking about crosswind landings, and he said the trick is to crab in until the point/moment of flare, and then straighten the plane out in line with the runway for touchdown to avoid damage to the undercarriage. It looked to me like all the pilots in this video actually landed askew, and then straightened out as the nosewheel settled onto the runway.

Whazzup?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 10:36:08 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 08:57:22 PM »
Impressive. 

Is it the angle or should that runway be leveled out a bit more?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 10:11:48 PM »
Impressive. 

We used to land on old runways in England that looked like roller coasters, they still worked fine though. ;)

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 10:30:23 PM »
Impressive. 

I think it's the depth of field. The videographer is shooting with an extreme telephoto lens, and that messes with perspective quite a bit.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 07:13:34 AM »
Question for Fly320s: Just a few days ago I watched one of Juan Brown's videos on the Blancolirio Channel. He was talking about crosswind landings, and he said the trick is to crab in until the point/moment of flare, and then straighten the plane out in line with the runway for touchdown to avoid damage to the undercarriage. It looked to me like all the pilots in this video actually landed askew, and then straightened out as the nosewheel settled onto the runway.

Whazzup?

Brown is right.  That is the proper technique for most planes, though some planes can handle a little bit of crab on landing.  Boeing's landing gear has some amount of castor in them.  They crab pretty good on landing. The B52 has steerable main gear, so it can land in a full crab, because it can't really do a slip because of the long wings.  My Airbus 320 does not like to land in a crab.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 01:27:30 PM »
I read that a 747 broke a new record for its type across the Atlantic, flying from JFK to Heathrow, reaching +800mph average speed thanks tl having favorable winds.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 03:27:23 PM »
I read that a 747 broke a new record for its type across the Atlantic, flying from JFK to Heathrow, reaching +800mph average speed thanks tl having favorable winds.

Yeah, strong jetstream.  That shouldn't count, in my opinion.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 06:32:13 PM »

But they don't tell you about the one going the other way that set the longest transit record from Heathrow to JFK. There is always a flip side! ;)

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 06:38:57 PM »
Yes, that jetsream was blowing 200 to 250 MPH. That's quite a hit in a plane that cruises at 500 to 550.