Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440163 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2020, 09:44:09 PM »
Everything I've read says refined flour is good in a cool, dark place for 1-2 years. I just keep mine in the pantry. I usually bake a loaf of bread every week or two, so a ten pound bag never sits for more than 6 months.

I got humidity where I live, freezer keeps it dry.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2020, 10:17:35 PM »
I am thinking about the idea of cooking for myself for 3 or 4 weeks without any outside food.  I made a list of more stuff to go get tomorrow.  I probably have enough now, but need to keep it more interesting so it isn't just rice and Mountain House. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2020, 10:20:10 PM »
I am thinking about the idea of cooking for myself for 3 or 4 weeks without any outside food.  I made a list of more stuff to go get tomorrow.  I probably have enough now, but need to keep it more interesting so it isn't just rice and Mountain House. 

I've been doing the same thing with what I have for meat in the freezer, got a list going. Also picked up about 10# of bacon and brats from a meat locker on the way home.

Uranus is a gas giant.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 01:29:12 AM by bedlamite »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2020, 04:47:10 AM »
Mayor London Breed announced Tuesday afternoon that while there haven't been any confirmed cases of the coronavirus disease, COVID-19, in San Francisco so far, the city needs to be prepared in case the virus spreads to the area.

In other words order free gloves and masks for the homeless and get the speech blaming Trump ready
I hope I am exaggerating but probably not by much if I am
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2020, 08:15:43 AM »
https://www.businessinsider.com/san-francisco-state-of-emergency-coronavirus-covid19-outbreak-2020-2

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/02/25/cdc-coronavirus-test/

Good. Panic combined with incompetence is exactly what we need.

SF probably needs to panic. It has a high density population center, high percentage of oriental population and visitors, plenty of human and animal body fluids spread around, fair weather that encourages outdoor social activity, and a strong mindset of "the government will protect me."  On top of that, a large percentage of the population eats out daily and doesn't stock food for more than a few days in their tiny, overpriced apartments.

The same is true of LA, Seattle, Portland, and maybe some of the suburbs.  East coast cities aren't exempt, either.  NY, Boston, DC have similar issues.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2020, 08:50:33 AM »
Since similar articles were posted here:
https://www.nola.com/news/healthcare_hospitals/article_3dcbc20c-536b-11ea-ad68-0f430ce8649a.html
Tulane primate center will receive coronavirus samples for vaccine development
The center's director, Jay Rappaport, said the north shore research facility that's home to several thousand monkeys is well-positioned to find a vaccine for the fast-spreading virus that originated in Wuhan, a city of 11 million in China's Hubei province.

Also some older news from a 1998:
https://www.chronicle.com/article/2-Dozen-Monkeys-Escape-From/5610
2 Dozen Monkeys Escape From Tulane Center
Two dozen rhesus monkeys broke out of the Tulane University Regional Primate Center last week and scurried for nearby woods, with workers following to recover them.

So, What is the best caliber to keep on hand for infected monkeys?  
And what if the disease mutates and makes the monkeys really smart?  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2020, 08:53:33 AM »
So, What is the best caliber to keep on hand for infected monkeys?  
And what if the disease mutates and makes the monkeys really smart?  

12 gauge with large shot.  #4 buck should be good for most monkeys. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2020, 09:13:35 AM »
In our clinics, we have a metal stand in the waiting areas that hold a box of surgical masks, a bottle of hand sanitizer and some signage about covering your cough and notifying the front desk for certain symptoms.  We have now moved those stands to storage: people were coming in off the street, grabbing the box of masks and sanitizer and running out. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2020, 09:17:56 AM »
In my continued monitoring of price gouging, I saw that people have apparently discovered half-mask respirators. I'm not sure if they understand how most of them are sold. They sell just the respirator, and you buy cartridges separately. Some vendors are still selling the respirator for the 25 or so bucks they're worth, while others are selling respirators with no filters for $100. Filters for them are now approaching the price of the panic-priced paper N95 respirators.

I saw a photo from a San Francisco Home Depot where an Asian guy bought every N95 mask they had. It looked like at least a dozen cases. There is apparently a very profitable black market for Chinese here to buy them up and ship them to China.

Interestingly, nitrile and other exam gloves seem to mostly be normally priced. I saw some $100 boxes, but most of them were reasonably priced in the $15 range. I find that interesting, since hands are such big spreaders of disease. If things were to get bad enough in the US, I'd almost consider wearing gloves to the grocery store more critical than wearing a mask. Put them on in the car, do the shopping, remove them before reentering your car.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2020, 09:18:34 AM »
Don't forget TP, paper towels, femine hygene products, soap, toothpaste, etc

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2020, 09:58:33 AM »
I would say to consider just about any personal hygiene product.  Keep yourself in as good a shape as you can so other stuff doesn't drag down your immune system.  Thankfully a lot of those things last a little while.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2020, 10:04:40 AM »
And the first of today's daily dose of fun from CNBC...

Coronavirus live updates: Brazil confirms first case in Latin America, Italy cases triple over two days

Let's see if today's market gains hold up to that news.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2020, 10:27:04 AM »
A few things heard on Fox Business this morning:

Iran is refusing to conduct any quarantine of areas or cities. Flights seem to be going in an out unhindered as well. If the virus spread spikes, it's gonna be third world shitholes that do it.

To go back to my still current belief that panic and emotion will do more harm than the virus regarding the availability of stuff in the US: Amazon, one of the largest retailers in the world, has just told all their sellers to overstock and hoard stuff that they sell to make sure they have sufficient inventory for what? For freakin' Amazon Day in July. When people might have to worry about acquiring staple goods in the present, that's almost criminal.

Trump is going to talk about virus response tonight. His Twitter snippet that I saw makes it look like it will be a "remain calm, all is well" speech. He has asked for $2.5 billion for response. Chuck Schumer immediately put in for $8.5 billion. Pessimistically, I can't help but think Schumer is hoping for things to go bad so the dems can say, "Trump has failed you all!" It seems to me that $2.5 billion is good for now, given that it should be pretty darn easy to increase that quickly if things go bad.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2020, 10:35:27 AM »
A few things heard on Fox Business this morning:

Iran is refusing to conduct any quarantine of areas or cities. Flights seem to be going in an out unhindered as well. If the virus spread spikes, it's gonna be third world shitholes that do it.

To go back to my still current belief that panic and emotion will do more harm than the virus regarding the availability of stuff in the US: Amazon, one of the largest retailers in the world, has just told all their sellers to overstock and hoard stuff that they sell to make sure they have sufficient inventory for what? For freakin' Amazon Day in July. When people might have to worry about acquiring staple goods in the present, that's almost criminal.

Trump is going to talk about virus response tonight. His Twitter snippet that I saw makes it look like it will be a "remain calm, all is well" speech. He has asked for $2.5 billion for response. Chuck Schumer immediately put in for $8.5 billion. Pessimistically, I can't help but think Schumer is hoping for things to go bad so the dems can say, "Trump has failed you all!" It seems to me that $2.5 billion is good for now, given that it should be pretty darn easy to increase that quickly if things go bad.

I'd love to see Trump accept that $8.5B and put 5 of it towards the wall.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2020, 10:47:51 AM »
I'd love to see Trump accept that $8.5B and put 5 of it towards the wall.
It would be nice if that was completed to at least have shot at sealing borders in cases like this.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2020, 10:49:56 AM »
"Pessimistically, I can't help but think Schumer is hoping for things to go bad so the dems can say, "Trump has failed you all!""

They're already staying that. Pelosi was front and center croning on about how the money Trump asked for wasn't nearly enough and as a result the 150 million Americans not killed by Republican NRA members will be killed by the CoronaTrumpvirus.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2020, 10:58:36 AM »
CDC briefing yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUBFWGJvZA8

We haven't gone nuts, but have restocked on materials, plus laid in a little extra.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2020, 11:01:26 AM »
"Pessimistically, I can't help but think Schumer is hoping for things to go bad so the dems can say, "Trump has failed you all!""

They're already staying that. Pelosi was front and center croning on about how the money Trump asked for wasn't nearly enough and as a result the 150 million Americans not killed by Republican NRA members will be killed by the CoronaTrumpvirus.

I'd like to see the line items for the dem funding ask. Reading some of my old CA news sources, I see a big progressive talking point right now is virus racism and xenophobia, so I'm wondering how many of the billions would go to "diversity enforcement" versus medical and infrastructure response.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2020, 11:06:48 AM »
https://www.businessinsider.com/cdc-recommends-different-facial-hairstyles-work-better-with-face-masks-2020-2

Be sure your facial hair is compatible with a mask. This is one of the reasons I have been wearing a narrow goatee for years.  I have to do the annual fit testing for N95, plus when I was in Fire/EMS, the Scott Air Pak had to seal.

PS: According to that graphic, I actually have a 'circle beard'. But it is nonetheless narrow and does not interfere with the N95.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 12:34:30 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2020, 11:09:34 AM »
Campus is having everyone double-check their remote access just in case there an instance where folks are told to stay home.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2020, 11:23:58 AM »
"so I'm wondering how many of the billions would go to "diversity enforcement" versus medical and infrastructure response."

ALL of it, you unwoke cisnormal racist hater!

Treating the body doesn't matter as long as you indoctrinate the soul!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2020, 11:49:40 AM »
https://www.businessinsider.com/cdc-recommends-different-facial-hairstyles-work-better-with-face-masks-2020-2

Be sure your facial hair is compatible with a mask. This is one of the reasons I have been wearing a narrow goatee for years.  I have to do the annual fit testing for N95, plus when I was in Fire/EMS, the Scott Air Pak had to seal.

I don't see neckbeard on that chart. I'll keep a razor handy, I might have to go Zappa.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2020, 12:04:57 PM »
Depending on my state of trim my 'stache varies from "painter's brush" to "walrus" according to that graphic MillCreek posted.  Good.  Still no need to shave it off.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2020, 12:15:25 PM »

Batteries
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes