Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 444413 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #2025 on: April 07, 2020, 11:24:53 AM »
Tangent, but just one of the other neat areas of 3D printing. I have no expertise, but they apparently needed to use an industrial machine for this. Nevertheless, ten years from now it will likely be a household machine. Kind of a cool idea to think, "Hey, unexpected pandemic. I need to print up some PPE for myself."  Especially given our short supply right now.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/coronavirus/article241786736.html

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2026 on: April 07, 2020, 11:46:52 AM »
May not be just the Mom and Pops you got to worry about.

Logan’s Roadhouse fires all employees, closes restaurants
https://www.wave3.com/2020/04/07/logans-roadhouse-fires-all-employees-closes-restaurants/

According to Restaurant Business Online, owners say it's possible the restaurants won't reopen.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2027 on: April 07, 2020, 12:03:24 PM »
May not be just the Mom and Pops you got to worry about.

Logan’s Roadhouse fires all employees, closes restaurants
https://www.wave3.com/2020/04/07/logans-roadhouse-fires-all-employees-closes-restaurants/

Even the big restaurants don't have big margins. I recall seeing Cheesecake Factory giving out warnings a month ago.

That's a shame. They are (were?) a decent place.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2028 on: April 07, 2020, 12:07:35 PM »
It was inevitable, can't keep paying people to stay home indefinitely.

Tough times for big companies also.

The really smart play for the economy would have been to be super aggressive early on. 
This haphazard piecemeal approach is going drag it out and tank a lot of businesses.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2029 on: April 07, 2020, 12:10:45 PM »
The really smart play for the economy would have been to be super aggressive early on. 
This haphazard piecemeal approach is going drag it out and tank a lot of businesses.

Our country doesn't take well to jackboots welding people into their homes. Without deaths to point to, exactly how is shutting everything down before anyone is infected going to go over?

It may have been "better", if it had worked, but the laws in the country will only work with the consent of the people. If they don't think it's important, they will flout the laws. (See: Prohibition)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #2030 on: April 07, 2020, 12:14:20 PM »
Our country doesn't take well to jackboots welding people into their homes. Without deaths to point to, exactly how is shutting everything down before anyone is infected going to go over?

It may have been "better", if it had worked, but the laws in the country will only work with the consent of the people. If they don't think it's important, they will flout the laws. (See: Prohibition)

Most states are already proving they have the emergency powers to do so, but I agree, it would have been greeted poorly. 
So instead, we get to have the most (confirmed) deaths and cases, and long lasting economic damage.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2031 on: April 07, 2020, 12:19:30 PM »
Most states are already proving they have the emergency powers to do so, but I agree, it would have been greeted poorly. 
So instead, we get to have the most (confirmed) deaths and cases, and long lasting economic damage.

An aggressive lock down would be greeted poorly now. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2032 on: April 07, 2020, 12:29:08 PM »

We are nowhere near the worst per capita.

We have the most confirmed cases because China is run by a totalitarian communist bureaucracy that lies even more than our own bureaucracy.  

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2033 on: April 07, 2020, 12:33:19 PM »

We have the most confirmed cases because China is run by a totalitarian communist bureaucracy that lies even more than our own bureaucracy.  

Well to be fair that's probably only because they've had 4,000 more years of practice
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2034 on: April 07, 2020, 12:57:46 PM »
Even the big restaurants don't have big margins. I recall seeing Cheesecake Factory giving out warnings a month ago.

That's a shame. They are (were?) a decent place.

Aren't most cheesecake Factories in malls? If so I would think that could be a large part of their problem, malls were largely dying off even before this mess, C19 is just accelerating the process.
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2035 on: April 07, 2020, 01:02:07 PM »
Many of the chain restaurants that are/were popular with the Boomers are not popular with the generations that followed. Kind of like all the buffet restaurants and supper clubs that were popular with the generations before the Boomers. They have been on a downward spiral for a while.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2036 on: April 07, 2020, 01:03:14 PM »
Just when you think they've reached peak TDS a new even higher mountain comes into view and they've planted their flag on top

Evil. Evil is the middle ground. He wants as many NYers as possible to die. And he was told about Black Americans dying in horrifying numbers and he got excited about that, too. He's TRYING to kill people.

— Ayelet Waldman (@ayeletw) April 7, 2020

If you’re crazy and you know it raise your hand! Blue-check claims Trump hopes COVID kills black Americans and HELLO backfire
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/04/07/if-youre-crazy-and-you-know-it-raise-your-hand-blue-check-claims-trump-hopes-covid-kills-black-americans-and-hello-backfire/
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2037 on: April 07, 2020, 01:08:39 PM »
How about some good news?

Rand Paul tests negative for COVID-19, begins volunteering at local hospital
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/04/07/rand-paul-tests-negative-for-covid-19-begins-volunteering-at-local-hospital/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2038 on: April 07, 2020, 02:06:22 PM »
Toilet paper, hand sanitizer, guns, ammo . . . . and Bibles:

https://www.foxnews.com/faith-values/coronavirus-bible-book-update-sales-record

Well, at least Bibles are something I was already hoarding, so I won't get caught out on that. Now let me go see what the street price is on a gently used ESV...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2039 on: April 07, 2020, 02:07:47 PM »

Well, at least Bibles are something I was already hoarding, so I won't get caught out on that. Now let me go see what the street price is on a gently used ESV...

ESV. Ha! I only deal in the good stuff, NRSV.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2040 on: April 07, 2020, 02:14:17 PM »

Heretic.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2041 on: April 07, 2020, 02:21:00 PM »

https://babylonbee.com/news/new-less-formal-king-jim-bible-introduced  ;)

I'm partial the the NKJV, I just kind of wish they had used the best (oldest) available manuscripts instead of the Textus Receptus.

NIV is good if you can find a 1984 edition.  The 2011 edition is not as horrible as some say, but I don't really like it.  They made changes for change's sake, and some of the grammar is just wrong.
"It's good, though..."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2042 on: April 07, 2020, 02:22:59 PM »
It's definitely getting worse.  We're all still gonna die.  Oh, wait...maybe not.  Perhaps COVID-19 is burning itself out just like its corona cousins SARS and MERS did.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/04/06/u-s-coronavirus-hospitalizations-lower-than-predicted-ny-marks-75-drop/?utm_source=whatfinger

https://dailycaller.com/2020/04/06/white-house-coronavirus-projections-model-fatalities-deaths/?utm_source=whatfinger
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2044 on: April 07, 2020, 02:32:00 PM »
Heretic.

Liberal.    Same thing.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #2045 on: April 07, 2020, 02:35:01 PM »

It's why I slapped the "confirmed" in there.  I think it's pretty much given that China lied about it's numbers. 
JD

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2046 on: April 07, 2020, 03:06:43 PM »
And Russia.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #2047 on: April 07, 2020, 03:11:31 PM »
And Russia.

They're past lying. Hiding the *expletive deleted*it out of it.
JD

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2048 on: April 07, 2020, 03:34:14 PM »
Something you may not see in most of the MSM and if you do I'm sure it will be somehow spun into being Orange Man's fault

In 2006, then-New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg's administration began purchasing ventilators to allow the city to be prepared for a pandemic like the current coronavirus crisis -- only for the city to later auction them off, according to a report.

ProPublica reported Monday that the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene issued a report in 2006 on the city's preparedness for pandemic influenza -- similar to the 1918 Spanish Flu or the 2019 novel coronavirus -- that projected the city would need thousands of extra ventilators in order to properly treat all of its residents who got sick. The plan was then put into action, with the city initially buying 500 ventilators before it ran out of money to buy more and to maintain the ones it had already stockpiled, according to ProPublica.

Those ventilators were then auctioned off some time before 2016 because the city could not afford to maintain them in working order, partially because the model of ventilator the city had purchased was no longer in production after 2009, the report said.

New York City stockpiled ventilators for a pandemic, only to later auction them off: report
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new-york-stockpiled-ventilators-for-pandemic-only-to-later-auction-them-off-report
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!