COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread

<< < (612/682) > >>

ConstitutionCowboy:
Quote from: Ben on May 24, 2020, 04:53:06 AM

So is "embargo" some kind of legal term that can be used by domestic, local governments (not being sarcastic, I actually don't know)? I've never heard of it used in this manner before:

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/05/23/camden-county-posts-notice-of-embargo-on-gym-that-dared-reopen-in-spite-of-new-jersey-lockdown-order/

Embargo? Isn't that some kind of snail cooked in garlic and butter?

Woody

230RN:
No, it's when a ship leaves on a trip.  When the ship gets there, the passengers are said to disembargo.

Ben, lately (20+ years?) there seems to be a large number of words that are being used in unusual ways --sometimes as their tertiary and quaternary definitions, sometimes with no relationship to any definitions.  But that's cool, dude, like, it's part of, like, it's normal.

Doggy Daddy:
Quote from: 230RN on May 24, 2020, 02:26:21 PM

No, it's when a ship leaves on a trip.  When the ship gets there, the passengers are said to disembargo.

Ben, lately (20+ years?) there seems to be a large number of words that are being used in unusual ways --sometimes as their tertiary and quaternary definitions, sometimes with no relationship to any definitions.  But that's cool, dude, like, it's part of, like, it's normal.

Agreed.  One of my main peeves re:word meaning shifts is "story".  I may have griped here before about it.  Facebook posts are stories. >bullshit!<  I see outdoor advertising signs for the ad company saying "let us help you tell your story".

I don't like it.   :old:

Ben:
Quote from: 230RN on May 24, 2020, 02:26:21 PM

I'm actually most concerned with the legality of using that term in that way. AFAIK, it's generally an international thing for punitive measures against whole countries. It's a little scary to think rinky dink localities are somehow co-opting it to violate the constitution.

WLJ:
She has her mask(s) on
https://twitter.com/nemui_babyy/status/1264387739186688001?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page