Main Forums > The Roundtable

COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread

<< < (612/1514) > >>

ConstitutionCowboy:

--- Quote from: Ben on May 24, 2020, 08:53:06 AM ---So is "embargo" some kind of legal term that can be used by domestic, local governments (not being sarcastic, I actually don't know)? I've never heard of it used in this manner before:

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/05/23/camden-county-posts-notice-of-embargo-on-gym-that-dared-reopen-in-spite-of-new-jersey-lockdown-order/

--- End quote ---

Embargo? Isn't that some kind of snail cooked in garlic and butter?

Woody

230RN:
No, it's when a ship leaves on a trip.  When the ship gets there, the passengers are said to disembargo.

Ben, lately (20+ years?) there seems to be a large number of words that are being used in unusual ways --sometimes as their tertiary and quaternary definitions, sometimes with no relationship to any definitions.  But that's cool, dude, like, it's part of, like, it's normal.

Doggy Daddy:

--- Quote from: 230RN on May 24, 2020, 06:26:21 PM ---No, it's when a ship leaves on a trip.  When the ship gets there, the passengers are said to disembargo.

Ben, lately (20+ years?) there seems to be a large number of words that are being used in unusual ways --sometimes as their tertiary and quaternary definitions, sometimes with no relationship to any definitions.  But that's cool, dude, like, it's part of, like, it's normal.

--- End quote ---

Agreed.  One of my main peeves re:word meaning shifts is "story".  I may have griped here before about it.  Facebook posts are stories. >bullshit!<  I see outdoor advertising signs for the ad company saying "let us help you tell your story".

I don't like it.   :old:

Ben:

--- Quote from: 230RN on May 24, 2020, 06:26:21 PM ---

--- End quote ---

I'm actually most concerned with the legality of using that term in that way. AFAIK, it's generally an international thing for punitive measures against whole countries. It's a little scary to think rinky dink localities are somehow co-opting it to violate the constitution.

WLJ:
She has her mask(s) on
https://twitter.com/nemui_babyy/status/1264387739186688001?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version