Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 445433 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #3125 on: May 29, 2020, 02:16:15 PM »
This is from a couple weeks ago.

https://www.stevegruber.com/2020/05/michigan-governor-continues-to-ship-covid-19-patients-to-nursing-homes-around-the-state-while-ordering-us-to-stay-in-our-homes/

As of today, there are 289 COVID-19 patients currently in nursing homes that the state has transferred to these facilities. These homes are designated by the state of Michigan as “regional hubs” and they make a lot of money taking care of them. They get a a $5000 per bed incentive in addition to the standard amount that they get per day for their ongoing care.

These transferred patients are people who aren’t sick enough to be in the hospital but who test positive and still need care. The regional hubs are a reality because Michigan Democratic Governor Gretchen Whitmer signed an executive order that makes it mandatory for a nursing home to accept a patient back to their facility unless they are unable to care for them. If they can’t provide adequate care, sending the patient to a regional hub is one of their options.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3126 on: May 29, 2020, 05:09:44 PM »

Drunk Hindu priest, 70, beheads man in Indian temple as a human sacrifice to goddess who came to him in a dream and said it would end coronavirus
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8369177/Indian-priest-beheads-man-sacrifice-goddess-order-end-coronavirus.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #3127 on: May 29, 2020, 07:43:57 PM »

Drunk Hindu priest, 70, beheads man in Indian temple as a human sacrifice to goddess who came to him in a dream and said it would end coronavirus
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8369177/Indian-priest-beheads-man-sacrifice-goddess-order-end-coronavirus.html

Goddess, eh? Must'a been a wet dream.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3128 on: May 30, 2020, 07:54:10 PM »
Well, judging from the lack of social distancing at the riots, and the lack of the MSM crying "we're all going to die from lack of social distancing at the riots", I figure the virus is over now and we can end lockdowns everywhere, put the masks away, and get back to normal.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3129 on: June 02, 2020, 09:53:19 AM »
Well, judging from the lack of social distancing at the riots, and the lack of the MSM crying "we're all going to die from lack of social distancing at the riots", I figure the virus is over now and we can end lockdowns everywhere, put the masks away, and get back to normal.

From what I am hearing said this morning:
1.  the CDC and WHO are saying healthy people shouldn't wear masks.
2.  It might be worse for your health to quarantine yourself at home. 
3.  The CDC and others grossly underestimated the infection rates which skewed the statistics. 
4.  IMO, it is starting to look like the higher death rates in some states might be due in big part to terrible policies enforced in some states deliberately spreading the disease to people in high risk categories. 

I still think this was a new disease that required some learning curve on the part of physicians to treat and it is still something to be weary of just like a bad strain of flu.  Most definitely you should be weary if you are in one of the vulnerable groups.  Everyone else, get back to work and reopen. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3130 on: June 02, 2020, 10:17:06 AM »
From what I am hearing said this morning:
1.  the CDC and WHO are saying healthy people shouldn't wear masks.
2.  It might be worse for your health to quarantine yourself at home. 
3.  The CDC and others grossly underestimated the infection rates which skewed the statistics. 
4.  IMO, it is starting to look like the higher death rates in some states might be due in big part to terrible policies enforced in some states deliberately spreading the disease to people in high risk categories. 

I still think this was a new disease that required some learning curve on the part of physicians to treat and it is still something to be weary of just like a bad strain of flu.  Most definitely you should be weary if you are in one of the vulnerable groups.  Everyone else, get back to work and reopen. 

In shorter words: We've massively over-reacted and our political leaders are stubbornly refusing to follow the data.

Because they BELIEVE in science.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3131 on: June 02, 2020, 10:28:13 AM »
In shorter words: We've massively over-reacted and our political leaders are stubbornly refusing to follow the data.

Because they BELIEVE in science.

I absolutely expect that with something new like this there are going to be unknowns and mistakes in response, and I want to be very lenient in my criticism regarding response because of that. But some of the social distancing and mask wearing nazis are becoming very analogous to the worst of the climate change crowd. "We must eliminate all cars or the world will end in five years!"
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3132 on: June 02, 2020, 10:34:20 AM »

I watched Bookface livestream from our little small town riot* Monday Sunday.  There was some complaining in the comments about masks and distancing.

(*if you're FB friends with me I posted pics and comments from Monday's and Tuesday's Sunday's and Monday's festivities.)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 02:01:04 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3133 on: June 02, 2020, 10:43:29 AM »
I absolutely expect that with something new like this there are going to be unknowns and mistakes in response, and I want to be very lenient in my criticism regarding response because of that. But some of the social distancing and mask wearing nazis are becoming very analogous to the worst of the climate change crowd. "We must eliminate all cars or the world will end in five years!"

My problem isn't really the over-reaction. It was new and we couldn't trust anything from China. (And they welded people into their apartment buildings.... that suggests something bad)

My problem is the "stubborn refusal" part. This is clearly nowhere near as bad as was first thought and we should have ended the lockdowns more than a month ago. But we're still all locked up (those of us in blue "utopias") because of the party that BELIEVES in SCIENCE!!!

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3134 on: June 02, 2020, 11:05:10 AM »

I agree with Ben, with the codicil that the response evolved over time as new data and knowledge became available, and sometimes there is not a generally-recognized consensus on the data and knowledge, so sometimes you have make your best SWAG, which in retrospect may or may not prove to be the best course of action. And Public Health recommends what Public Health does: to save lives in the population.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3135 on: June 02, 2020, 11:32:32 AM »
And Public Health recommends what Public Health does: to save lives in the population.

Without any regard to the other public health deaths they are causing, it seems.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3136 on: June 02, 2020, 02:23:49 PM »
I agree with Ben, with the codicil that the response evolved over time as new data and knowledge became available, and sometimes there is not a generally-recognized consensus on the data and knowledge, so sometimes you have make your best SWAG, which in retrospect may or may not prove to be the best course of action. And Public Health recommends what Public Health does: to save lives in the population.
I would say part of the problem in some states is the official response did not keep up with the information or even use the information available.  How can any rational person put COVID-19 patients in nursing homes especially based on what was known at the time about who was most vulnerable.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3137 on: June 02, 2020, 03:35:28 PM »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3138 on: June 02, 2020, 04:46:44 PM »

Yeah, I'm quite weary of it all.  Wary however, not so much.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3139 on: June 02, 2020, 05:09:08 PM »

I'm so thankful that we've moved on to the next nationally imposed psy op.

Couldn't they have been more creative instead of pulling out the old racist cop/lets riot chestnut?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3140 on: June 03, 2020, 10:29:13 AM »
I would say part of the problem in some states is the official response did not keep up with the information or even use the information available. How can any rational person put COVID-19 patients in nursing homes especially based on what was known at the time about who was most vulnerable.

Based on anything known at anytime!  You DO NOT  expose people in nursing homes, or the infirm,  to flu-like viruses regardless of how "much you know" or do not know about the virus.  
Some political leaders ( Cuomo ....?.... De Blasio....?)  don't  have the sense God gave a pump handle.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3141 on: June 03, 2020, 10:46:00 AM »
Okay.  I will try to be more wary of when I am using weary instead of wary.  Some people have trouble there word choice.   =)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3142 on: June 03, 2020, 11:29:19 AM »
You people are still talking about this? The 'Rona is SOOO last month.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3143 on: June 03, 2020, 12:28:15 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52903717?fbclid=IwAR1fAYkAwS22HoS1tfaHDsFbWXr9ZaZ--nQa9ValG3W1v4bxFRIxPT8miEw

Sweden now says it was a mistake not to go into lockdown since too many people died.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3145 on: June 03, 2020, 06:26:54 PM »
Okay, I give up.

For initial returns to campus, our esteemed leaders came up with 144 sq ft per person per lab for calculating the number of persons in a space. Their reasoning? Social distancing guidelines are six feet between people. Well, since it's six feet one way, then it's six feet the other. Hey, that's twelve! We just square the total and, viola, 144 sq ft! (self-congratulations and back pats all around...) *sigh*

I had to explain to a PhD that this magical, mystical 144 sq ft box is not "six feet between people", but actually twelve. He could not comprehend, and I think still doesn't even after a drawn diagram, that placing each person at the center of a 144 sq ft square means six feet to the edge of each person's box, not six feet between people. 6 + 6 = 12. Basic linear distance and simple first grade math. I decided to really tweak him and mentioned it wasn't even right for twelve feet because they'd calculated for rectangular area rather than circular (144 sq ft vs. 113.1 for the pedants). I thought his head was going to explode.

I am getting a solid laugh at their expense, though. They finally set up the screening points. Had to pare the number of checkpoints and hours because their presumed volunteer participation evaporated. Now it's four checkpoints for a mere hour each morning (7:30a-8:30a). In three days they've scanned a total of 31 people. That's 31 people out of more than five hundred approved for return to on-site work. When word got out about screening station locations and schedules, people simply arrived after 8:30 or came in a different door. It's a pathetic joke and I'm grinning like the Cheshire Cat at their frustration.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3147 on: June 03, 2020, 07:06:14 PM »
My wife's employer has reopened their onsite massage services.  So you can go and get a full body massage.  Mask is required.  ;/

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #3149 on: June 04, 2020, 10:18:03 AM »
Trump colluding with the Russians again.  =)