Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 444113 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #3300 on: June 24, 2020, 02:32:37 PM »
Yes!  Driving 20 mph in a 35 zone.   :mad:

Opposite here.  80 in a 65 is normal now.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3301 on: June 24, 2020, 05:22:25 PM »
Campus just issued a mandatory mask notice effective tomorrow. It's a bunch of feel-good tripe and there's no reasonable way to enforce it. It's going to be a *expletive deleted*it show anyway because three of the four main points are inherently self-contradictory.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3302 on: June 24, 2020, 08:14:57 PM »
I've ordered some almost certainly fake KN95 respirator masks from Amazon.  It should be obvious whether they are made of some kind of filter cloth and whether they leak or not.  The places that I've found sell real CE certified KN95 and FFP2 masks only sell in very high quantities for about $4 apiece, and then sometimes only sell to existing customers.  Even counterfeit masks if they are well made will be better than a scarf or whatever nonsense.  For $16 for a box of ten I'll take a chance.

(KN95 and FFP2 are the Chinese and European equivalent specifications for USA N95 respirator masks.  There's also Japanese, Australian, Korean, etc specs with different designation, and they are all pretty much equivalent)

Perhaps I should search for P1 respirators.  Those only filter 80% instead of 95%, but that's a lot better than nothing.

The masks that I ordered still haven't gotten here.  I suspect they will never get here and I'll have to get a refund from Amazon or from my CC company.  A day or two after I placed my order, the listing disappeared from Amazon; I click on the link from my order history and get a page not found error.  (that's not a good sign.)  They claim to have shipped it the next day, but they just generated a shipping label and didn't actually send it to the post office for several days.  Annoying but not necessarily a problem.  Now the package is several days late, and the USPS tracking says it just departed from New York, headed for who knows where (it originated in California.)

Here's my guess: it's a scam, and they put the wrong zipcode on the package to delay delivery -- and that's assuming it even has the right address.  It might be an empty package that they send to someone else's address, and someday weeks from now I will get another person's empty package.  I've actually run into that before with an Amazon third party seller.  (a used book dealer my wife ordered from. who turned out to be from mainland China)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 09:02:13 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3303 on: June 24, 2020, 08:29:46 PM »
I noticed that phenomenon when Oklahoma came off lockdown. I had been driving to work on nearly deserted highways and then one Monday *BAM* all the nonessential MF'rs were back on the road.

Nonessential MF'rs can't drive for *expletive deleted*it.

There are a lot of MF'rs who can't drive for *expletive deleted*it.  

I've been driving since 1956, but about 25 years ago I finally learned to actually drive and analyze my driving, as opposed to merely operating a car.

I can testify that I have definitely noticed a lack-of-practice effect if I haven't driven in a while.

So there.  N=1.

Take it or leave it.

Terry
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 08:42:08 PM by 230RN »

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3304 on: June 24, 2020, 08:41:48 PM »
I definitely noticed a lack-of-practice effect after not driving for a month. Mostly weakness related to following distance and staying in my own goddam lane.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3305 on: June 24, 2020, 08:43:05 PM »
N=2

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3306 on: June 24, 2020, 08:44:30 PM »
Lincoln County, OR exempts people of color from wearing masks. Only whitey is mandated to wear them. I had to look up Lincoln County. I've driven through there, and it doesn't seem very Portlandy, so weird that they would do it and not Multnomah county.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/06/24/report-people-of-color-exempt-from-mask-mandate-if-they-have-heightened-concerns-about-racial-profiling-while-wearing-them/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3307 on: June 24, 2020, 10:38:59 PM »
Lincoln County, OR exempts people of color from wearing masks. Only whitey is mandated to wear them. I had to look up Lincoln County. I've driven through there, and it doesn't seem very Portlandy, so weird that they would do it and not Multnomah county.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/06/24/report-people-of-color-exempt-from-mask-mandate-if-they-have-heightened-concerns-about-racial-profiling-while-wearing-them/

Thank goodness I've not white but kind of an off-white. Closer to Ritz Cracker than Cracker
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3308 on: June 24, 2020, 10:46:42 PM »
Went to Walmart today, for the first time in over three months. Masks are supposedly mandatory in this state. Walmart was limiting occupancy -- they had a gatekeeper, and there was a queue outside with Xs marked on the pavement every six feet. People in the line were generally pretty well-behaved, and the line moved quickly.

Inside, all store personnel wore masks. I would estimate that between a quarter and a third of the customers either didn't have a mask, or wore it down at their chin or around their neck/throat.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 01:24:06 AM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3309 on: June 24, 2020, 11:15:48 PM »
Went to Walmart today, for the first time in over three months. Masks are supposedly mandatory in this state.    snip   

Starting Friday they will be mandatory in Nevada too.  Sisolak's orders.  I really don't like that  R   B.

I'll be looking for a yellow "don't tread on me" mask that has gnarly fangs placed appropriately.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3310 on: June 25, 2020, 12:09:29 PM »
Masks are supposedly mandatory in Virginia, as well, but not everyone is wearing them and there's apparently no one to enforce the mandate.

Except...

The Karen Patrol.

I wear a mask these days (it is mandatory at my office) simply because I don't want to have to punch an annoying Karen.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3311 on: June 25, 2020, 01:37:59 PM »
If I wore a yellow neck gaiter, I wonder if anyone would get the 'Watchmen' reference.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3312 on: June 25, 2020, 06:07:02 PM »
Masks are mandatory in North Carolina starting this Friday.  SWMBO and I have a couple on order from a friend at church.  Police will be enforcing our lefty Governor's edict.  Misdemeanor penalty if you are caught in a public place not wearing it.  
Considering that I carry almost everywhere I go, and that we are a 'shall notify' state, and I really don't want to interact with the popo while carrying, I think I will wear the mask.  It's stupid, however.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3313 on: June 25, 2020, 07:39:00 PM »
Masks are mandatory in North Carolina starting this Friday.  SWMBO and I have a couple on order from a friend at church.  Police will be enforcing our lefty Governor's edict.  Misdemeanor penalty if you are caught in a public place not wearing it.  
Considering that I carry almost everywhere I go, and that we are a 'shall notify' state, and I really don't want to interact with the popo while carrying, I think I will wear the mask.  It's stupid, however.

I realize this might not be the hill to die on, especially since I dont live in NC it's easy for me to talk. but the executive does not get to make laws.  That's the legislature's job.  So it's not a misdemeanor unless they passed a law to that affect.  He enforces the laws; he cannot enforce his own edicts.  It's a separation of powers issue.
"It's good, though..."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #3314 on: June 25, 2020, 09:37:17 PM »
Am I the only belligerent one here?  I'll happily fight Karens on principle at this point.

I'm not wearing a mask.  Full stop.  The going along to get along is just empowering this fuckery.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3315 on: June 25, 2020, 10:05:42 PM »
The going along to get along is just empowering this [stuff].

That's what I've been thinking. Even if some conservatives are mad at us for not wearing masks, I think the more people that mask up voluntarily, the easier it is for the government to make it mandatory.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3316 on: June 25, 2020, 10:43:29 PM »
If that's the hill you want to die on, whatever.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3317 on: June 25, 2020, 10:56:02 PM »
Nice little drama playing in NC.  The Lt Governor says the Governor's mask order is illegal.  https://www.newsmax.com/politics/north-carolina-cooper-forest-orders/2020/06/25/id/974235/  (this has nothing to do with whether or not the masks are a good idea)  It would be interesting if the Attorney General would weigh in. 
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3318 on: June 25, 2020, 11:02:20 PM »
The Governor in NC is much like Northampton in VA...very hated and put into power by the ultra liberal cities.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3319 on: June 25, 2020, 11:14:53 PM »
Not my hill to die on. There are better hills. I'm not dying on the hand washing hill or the don't-sneeze-on-people hill either. Wearing masks is a good idea. There are many hills which are better.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3320 on: June 25, 2020, 11:49:42 PM »
My county has had two cases. We just don't wear the things. Out in the world I mostly do, or have it available. I'm pretty happy with it, if we can keep this panic up a few years facial recognition tech will be frustrated.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3321 on: June 26, 2020, 10:45:34 AM »
My county has had two cases. We just don't wear the things. Out in the world I mostly do, or have it available. I'm pretty happy with it, if we can keep this panic up a few years facial recognition tech will be frustrated.

The deep state will simply put rfid tags  in the masks. [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3322 on: June 26, 2020, 10:51:57 AM »
The deep state will simply put rfid tags  in the masks. [tinfoil]

Meh, cell phone tracking is what all the cool governments do. They can do that sitting at a desk in DC. Why do you think it's darn near impossible to remove the battery anymore  [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil]
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #3323 on: June 26, 2020, 11:17:17 AM »
If that's the hill you want to die on, whatever.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

To each is own, but I say if you are going to die on a hill, do it while it's still a molehill. Waiting for it to become a mountain may not be a viable choice by then.  :facepalm:

I grow tired of tripping over all them molehills out there, aren't y'all?  :old:

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3324 on: June 26, 2020, 12:56:09 PM »

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama