Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 445629 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #3376 on: July 01, 2020, 11:08:37 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3377 on: July 01, 2020, 01:48:07 PM »
Cue Greta

Ketchup and mustard packets are pandemic best-sellers. That's bad news for the environment
https://www.wlky.com/article/ketchup-and-mustard-packets-are-pandemic-best-sellers-that-s-bad-news-for-the-environment/33022785
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3378 on: July 01, 2020, 02:05:09 PM »
The feelz is settled.
Until the next feelz comes along that is

And then that feelz will be settled again ... still ... until it's not.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3379 on: July 01, 2020, 03:49:31 PM »
Cue Greta

Ketchup and mustard packets are pandemic best-sellers. That's bad news for the environment
https://www.wlky.com/article/ketchup-and-mustard-packets-are-pandemic-best-sellers-that-s-bad-news-for-the-environment/33022785
What about all the extra paper and plastic fast food restaurants are handing out because everything is to go? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #3380 on: July 01, 2020, 05:37:03 PM »
What about all the extra paper and plastic fast food restaurants are handing out because everything is to go? 

That's why God invented fire.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3381 on: July 01, 2020, 05:40:05 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3382 on: July 01, 2020, 10:20:00 PM »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3383 on: July 01, 2020, 11:09:38 PM »
Iowa is rapidly approaching 1% of the population testing positive with Covid 19.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3384 on: July 02, 2020, 07:06:37 AM »
Many (all?) the states and CDC are conflating active infections and those who test positive for antibodies.

The numbers are all BS, believe them at your own peril.

Of all places, the leftwing Atlantic points out the stupidness.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/05/cdc-and-states-are-misreporting-covid-19-test-data-pennsylvania-georgia-texas/611935/
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3385 on: July 02, 2020, 07:50:23 AM »
Nice short video clip of the good Doctor in charge of the State of Illinois DPH.

When they were doing daily press conferences here in Illinois she was the only straight shooter, the rest speaking were obvious partisan hacks.

https://youtu.be/95VEAQ4Cqps

The numbers aren't just suspect but pretty much BS.

The virus is real and potentially dangerous but the reported numbers of infected and deaths are all garbage.

The fear mongers in the media and amongst us are lying to you to manipulate you.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3386 on: July 02, 2020, 08:54:38 AM »
Many (all?) the states and CDC are conflating active infections and those who test positive for antibodies.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/05/cdc-and-states-are-misreporting-covid-19-test-data-pennsylvania-georgia-texas/611935/
I wonder how much of that was deliberate and how much is just govt clerks adding everything together because they don't know any better.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3388 on: July 02, 2020, 09:11:56 AM »

I don't think antibody testing is really all that widespread yet. I think numbers sre being under reported in Iowa for positive nasal swap testing to protect the economy. Why? Because I'm finally having friends and acquaintances test positive, most are asymptomatic so far.

Uranus is a gas giant.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3389 on: July 02, 2020, 09:27:02 AM »
Check your phone, they have added covid trackers. In Android it's in settings/Google services. Looks like it uses Bluetooth.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3390 on: July 02, 2020, 10:43:47 AM »
Check your phone, they have added covid trackers. In Android it's in settings/Google services. Looks like it uses Bluetooth.

Yep, there it is.  But supposedly you have to download an app from your state health dept to activate it.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3391 on: July 02, 2020, 10:47:18 AM »
Yep, there it is.  But supposedly you have to download an app from your state health dept to activate it.

I came to the same conclusion and need to have bluetooth turned on.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3392 on: July 02, 2020, 10:56:12 AM »

I see that. What is it supposed to track and report back? The little blurb makes it sounds like it's just warning you if you've entered an exposure area, but I reckon it's doing a lot more in the background.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3393 on: July 02, 2020, 11:08:37 AM »
I see that. What is it supposed to track and report back? The little blurb makes it sounds like it's just warning you if you've entered an exposure area, but I reckon it's doing a lot more in the background.

It broadcasts an ID (supposedly anonymously) over Bluetooth, and records all those ID's it receives from other ppl's phones, along with the GPS coordinates and the BT signal strength.  If someone tests positive for Covid, they report it to Google and they notify everyone who has that person's ID stored on their phone.  The tracking data is stored for 14 days.
"It's good, though..."

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #3394 on: July 02, 2020, 11:13:35 AM »

I don't have a phone that will run any aps so I can't explore what is going on, but I wouldn't doubt there is a lot going on in every background behind any aps that are supposed to be 'helpful' in any way.

I love my 20-plus year old still functioning Nokia 5190.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3395 on: July 02, 2020, 12:07:09 PM »
It broadcasts an ID (supposedly anonymously) over Bluetooth, and records all those ID's it receives from other ppl's phones, along with the GPS coordinates and the BT signal strength.  If someone tests positive for Covid, they report it to Google and they notify everyone who has that person's ID stored on their phone.  The tracking data is stored for 14 days.
Well, that isn't so bad.  I am sure there is no risk of anyone holding that tracking data longer than 14 days.   :laugh:

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3396 on: July 02, 2020, 12:10:55 PM »
Well, that isn't so bad.  I am sure there is no risk of anyone holding that tracking data longer than 14 days.   :laugh:

It's stored locally for 14 days.  You know the uploaded data on Google's cloud is stored a lot longer than that (until they deem it not worth the storage space it occupies.  And Google has really cheap storage so that could be a long time)
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3397 on: July 02, 2020, 12:12:13 PM »
I don't have a phone that will run any aps so I can't explore what is going on, but I wouldn't doubt there is a lot going on in every background behind any aps that are supposed to be 'helpful' in any way.

I love my 20-plus year old still functioning Nokia 5190.

Woody

I thought all analog cell service was ended, which means your phone may power up,  but you won't have service.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3398 on: July 02, 2020, 12:18:36 PM »
I thought all analog cell service was ended, which means your phone may power up,  but you won't have service.

5190 is first-gen digital (2G service). Still works on some services but 2G service is being phased out, by the end of this year if memory serves.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3399 on: July 02, 2020, 01:53:40 PM »
5190 is first-gen digital (2G service). Still works on some services but 2G service is being phased out, by the end of this year if memory serves.

Brad

I think t-mobile is the only network that supports it too. GSM 1900?

Uranus is a gas giant.