Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440408 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #3450 on: July 13, 2020, 02:15:38 PM »

The spike is in reported cases, reported cases go up with increased testing.

And some states (but not all, and good luck figuring out which) are now conflating swab tests for active CV-19 with positive tests for antibodies -- which doesn't indicate an active infection, it only indicates that the person has been exposed to CV-19 at some point in the past.

I've been complaining to my state senator and representative for months that the numbers put out by our governor's office every day are useless. They don't even bother to answer me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3451 on: July 13, 2020, 02:16:26 PM »
Well,don't worry, even if you keep your distance, wear your mask, etc., you're still going to die because...

AIR CONDITIONING!

Of course, let's turn the AC off, make the Europeans happy, and we'll still die from the heat. But at least we won't die from the Beer Flu...

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2020/06/air-conditioning-may-be-factor-in-covid-19-spread-in-the-south/
But pretty much all AC systems have filters on the air recirculation.  If those filters are not working, what does that say about all these mask requirements?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3452 on: July 13, 2020, 02:19:31 PM »
But pretty much all AC systems have filters on the air recirculation.  If those filters are not working, what does that say about all these mask requirements?
:facepalm:   ....... I somehow don't think that air conditioner filters are effective for the covid19  VIRUS  or the aerosolized droplets that they zoom around in. ..... [tinfoil]   Maybe.    I dunno.     :-X
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3453 on: July 13, 2020, 02:36:49 PM »
:facepalm:   ....... I somehow don't think that air conditioner filters are effective for the covid19  VIRUS  or the aerosolized droplets that they zoom around in. ..... [tinfoil]   Maybe.    I dunno.     :-X

Depends on the filter. Cheap ones won't, MPR over 1500 or MERV over 13 can.

https://www.airfiltersdelivered.com/c/merv-mpr-fpr-ratings
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3454 on: July 13, 2020, 02:41:48 PM »
More and more though, commercial, and even home, HVAC systems have UV lights in the air stream that are put there specifically to kill germs and viri.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3455 on: July 13, 2020, 02:59:13 PM »

They aren't. It would need a HEPA filter, and standard HVAC systems don't use HEPA filters.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3456 on: July 13, 2020, 03:15:44 PM »
More and more though, commercial, and even home, HVAC systems have UV lights in the air stream that are put there specifically to kill germs and viri.

I put a Reme Halo in my house at the beginning of this whole fiasco. My buddy had two in stock and I bought it at cost.

I highly recommend it, made a big difference in the house. I have a dirt crawlspace and after heavy rains there is always a musty smell. No more, house always smells fresh.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3457 on: July 13, 2020, 03:45:14 PM »
I put a Reme Halo in my house at the beginning of this whole fiasco. My buddy had two in stock and I bought it at cost.

I highly recommend it, made a big difference in the house. I have a dirt crawlspace and after heavy rains there is always a musty smell. No more, house always smells fresh.

Hey, I wonder if that's where my smell comes from? I pick something like that up after a good rain and it will last several hours before it goes away. I also have a dirt crawlspace. It's lined with heavy visquine or similar, but I don't know if that makes any difference.

I just googled the Halo. That's actually pretty cheap. How is it for electricity usage, and how difficult is it to install (I'd have someone do it, but am wondering how much labor is involved)?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3458 on: July 13, 2020, 03:47:55 PM »
If you add more filtration keep an eye on it. If you don't have enough air flow the evaporater might freeze up.

Been a few years since I installed a UV system in a furnace but I'm not sure if they are UVC or not.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3459 on: July 13, 2020, 03:54:33 PM »
My company is recommending Bipolar Ionization from this company for this issue: https://blog.plasma-air.com/plasma-air-ionization-proven-to-reduce-coronavirus-surrogate-ms2-bacteriophage-by-99-in-independent-spanish-testing/

In fact we are installing them on all of our air handler units.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3460 on: July 13, 2020, 03:55:50 PM »
"Hey, I wonder if that's where my smell comes from?"

Mmmmm, maybe... but I'm betting that it's actually you.

:rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3461 on: July 13, 2020, 04:03:00 PM »
It's powered by it's own 24v transformer, something like a half amp draw. It stays on even when the furnace is off.

Drill a hole in the supply side above the coil, mount and plug it in and that's about all. Took me less than 20 minutes to install.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3462 on: July 13, 2020, 04:04:26 PM »
"Hey, I wonder if that's where my smell comes from?"

Mmmmm, maybe... but I'm betting that it's actually you.

:rofl:

Well,  I knew I set myself up for that, so I'll just take my lumps.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3463 on: July 13, 2020, 04:24:08 PM »
For your perusal
https://www.rgf.com/products/air/reme-halo/

This tech isn't really that new and has been used for awhile in industrial/healthcare/commercial applications.

It works against airborn viruses and has been tested against the swine flu (corona virus), pretty much destroys it completely.

There are BS UV systems also so make sure you read all the literature available.

I don't know if mine is the "best" but after checking into it I grabbed it as they were selling like hotcakes.

https://www.rgf.com/test-results/

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3464 on: July 13, 2020, 04:32:01 PM »
"It's powered by it's own 24v transformer, something like a half amp draw. It stays on even when the furnace is off."

Hum... That might work really well in my home, then, as my air handler is virtually never off. I have the fan set to recirculate. The only time I turn it off is when I'm either changing the filter or when I'm heading out for an extended vacation.

How long does the bulb last?

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3465 on: July 13, 2020, 04:56:34 PM »
"It's powered by it's own 24v transformer, something like a half amp draw. It stays on even when the furnace is off."

Hum... That might work really well in my home, then, as my air handler is virtually never off. I have the fan set to recirculate. The only time I turn it off is when I'm either changing the filter or when I'm heading out for an extended vacation.

They recommend replace every 2-3 years.

I suspect it still works longer but at diminished output.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3466 on: July 13, 2020, 09:05:08 PM »

Down here I get condensation issues if I run the fan full time.  If your system isn't in the attic, maybe that helps. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3467 on: July 13, 2020, 09:28:17 PM »
Anyone know about the safety of these Halo things? I'm not big on making ozone in the house which this does a little of. Crazy allergies here, would be nice to have something to fix it, so far running a dehumidifier 24/7 in the basement(when it doesn't have 18" of water in it) and working on the crawl space vapor barrier.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #3468 on: July 13, 2020, 09:33:08 PM »
Daily deaths peaked in late April at about 13 new cases per death.  Daily deaths are trending clearly downward and are currently sitting at a rate comparable to late March - almost 1/6th of what they were at peak.  Not sure if that is due to fewer severe cases or better treatments.

Could be because of something as simple as attrition. A lot of the sickest are already gone and fewer of the sickest remain.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #3469 on: July 13, 2020, 10:30:54 PM »
I don't see daily info for the whole country so I grabbed some state data.

In early April we were looking at a rolling 7 day average of 4-5 tests per case.  That crept up to a peak of about 23 tests per case in late June, and has since fallen to about 10 tests per case.

Thanks cordex.  That's exactly the info I was hoping for.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3470 on: July 14, 2020, 07:32:23 AM »
Anyone know about the safety of these Halo things? I'm not big on making ozone in the house which this does a little of. Crazy allergies here, would be nice to have something to fix it, so far running a dehumidifier 24/7 in the basement(when it doesn't have 18" of water in it) and working on the crawl space vapor barrier.

I would encourage everyone to check out the link from my previous post about Bi-Polar Ionization.  UL2998 listed equipment does not produce ozone greater than 0.001 ppm.  You wire the unit/units into your fan power supply so the unit is on when the air moves.  The units are rated for certain CFMs and you can put multiple units in your HVAC system, after the filter.  You just have to check the carbon brushes bi-annually to make sure they are clean.  If anybody wants to read a whitepaper from one of our Mechanicl Engineers PM me and I will send it to you.

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3471 on: July 14, 2020, 10:14:58 AM »
Where's that asteroid?
I could see this being great for kids, with some reservations, but as an adult I have zero desire to look like my cat

You can look like your pet with these adorable furry face masks
https://www.wlky.com/article/stitch-animal-face-masks/33298617
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3472 on: July 14, 2020, 10:16:57 AM »
Down here I get condensation issues if I run the fan full time.  If your system isn't in the attic, maybe that helps. 

Nope, my air handler is in the basement.

I also run dehumidifiers in the basement and on the second floor, as needed (and that's most of the time in the summer).

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3473 on: July 14, 2020, 03:56:21 PM »
On the COVID subject, I did hear someone (Ben Shapiro?) point out that the recent spike in COVID-19 cases corresponds pretty closely with the protests/riots that a springing up everywhere. 

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3474 on: July 14, 2020, 05:19:56 PM »
There's a national daily deaths chart available below that has a 7 day moving average precalculated into it.  There is a slight spike (753 per day) that has brought us up to June 15th levels.  Or April 1st levels on the other side of the chart.  We peaked at 2,255 per day.

The relevant chart is about halfway down the page.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/