Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440161 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #3475 on: July 15, 2020, 08:03:00 AM »
There's a national daily deaths chart available below that has a 7 day moving average precalculated into it.  There is a slight spike (753 per day) that has brought us up to June 15th levels.  Or April 1st levels on the other side of the chart.  We peaked at 2,255 per day.

The relevant chart is about halfway down the page.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I would just like to point out that the numbers are "reported deaths".

Everyone will have to determine for themselves just how much they trust the reporting.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3476 on: July 15, 2020, 08:55:43 AM »
I would just like to point out that the numbers are "reported deaths".

Everyone will have to determine for themselves just how much they trust the reporting.
Even if you believe the data used overestimate the real numbers it is interesting to see the overall downward trend and the rate of change/comparison to historical absolutes as well as the relationship to reported deaths vs reported infections.  If this is the result of cooked numbers trying to exaggerate the danger then the chef needs to spend more time in the kitchen.

In my eyes this explains why people most concerned about the virus are referring only to summaries of detected infections instead of COVID deaths (1/5th of peak) and hospital census (about half of peak).  Also, the claim that there is a two week lag between testing results and deaths doesn't bear out in the data - largely because testing is constantly expanding.  It is clear to me that we're testing more people with less serious symptoms which is increasing the infection numbers, but not increasing the serious cases.

Also, Charby's concerns in late May about his governor trying to suppress tests for political gain doesn't seem to be shown in the data.  Looks like Iowa is testing a rolling average of 150% of the rolling average they were testing on 5/26 and has not seen any substantial decrease in tests run.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3477 on: July 15, 2020, 10:33:11 AM »
My point, in pointing out the lies, disinformation and outright propaganda is simply not ceding any ground to the enemy.

Large corporations and our government are not only complicit in this debacle but they're the architects and foot soldiers who foisted this abomination upon us.

Fauci in particular is a lying little weasel who has financial conflict of interests.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3478 on: July 15, 2020, 12:56:48 PM »
This isn't really news to anyone here, but I'll post it anyway:

https://aapsonline.org/how-should-governors-respond-to-covid-19-surge/
https://aapsonline.org/breaking-covid-news-that-could-save-your-live/

Summary: Don't shut things down, give HCQ to high risk and exposed people.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3479 on: July 15, 2020, 01:19:16 PM »
Rush mentioned this earlier:

Coronavirus update: Florida labs not reporting negative test results, report says
https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-update-florida-labs-not-reporting-negative-test-results-report

“Countless labs have reported a 100 percent positivity rate, which means every single person tested was positive,” Fox 35 News reported Tuesday. “Other labs had very high positivity rates.”

Orlando Health, for example, reported a 98 percent positivity rate. Lee Memorial Hospital Lab, PanCare of Florida, Inc and Advance Medical of Naples all reported 100 percent positivity rates; no negative results were included.

That rate implies every person tested had a positive result.

Fox 35 News said it investigated the numbers by contacting every local location listed in the report. Orlando Health confirmed to Fox News that the 98 percent figure is incorrect and the positivity rate is actually 9.4 percent.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/07/15/florida-labs-incorrectly-reported-a-100-positivity-rate-for-coronavirus-tests/
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3480 on: July 15, 2020, 02:02:46 PM »
Meanwhile at The Hall of Justice

Black Homes Matter

Furniture left at Hall of Justice to send a message about evictions during pandemic
https://www.wlky.com/article/furniture-left-at-hall-of-justice-to-send-a-message-about-evictions-during-pandemic/33325258

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3481 on: July 15, 2020, 02:28:47 PM »
Rush mentioned this earlier:

Coronavirus update: Florida labs not reporting negative test results, report says
https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-update-florida-labs-not-reporting-negative-test-results-report

https://thefederalist.com/2020/07/15/florida-labs-incorrectly-reported-a-100-positivity-rate-for-coronavirus-tests/

According to the internal conference calls the FL hospital my wife works at is in the 15-ish% range for positive tests, although they are testing ALL patients, ALL employees with confirmed exposure to a positive case, and any employee that complains of symptoms, so that's a lot of testing.  Cases are up, percentage of cases that are requiring hospitalization are up, and percentage of those that require ICU care are up from 30 days ago.* We're also seeing more community spread by PPE complacency then 30 days ago.

Our county (Hillsborough County) is about the same on the morning calls.  According to the county's dashboard out 14 day rolling average is currently at 16.16% of tests are positive.  Over the entire pandemic our percent of positive tests are 9.9%

*I know this is a source of contention on here, and that's one of the reasons I don't post much in this thread.  To the skeptics, I would warn that ,unless noted and accompanied by a link, I am only talking about the numbers here in Tampa that I was either present for the conference call discussing them, or my wife or close friends (who are employed at area hospitals and are actually treating the COVID cases or managing our response here in Tampa) have first hand knowledge of.  I'm not going off of podcasts or internet oped numbers.  If you'd like to call my wife or I a liar, you can of course, but I will take umbrage if you do.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3482 on: July 15, 2020, 02:55:24 PM »
Several minor observations after my trip to Costco this morning:

Costco was one of the first places here, if not the first, to require masks. I've been there probably half a dozen times since that went into effect. Today for the first time, I noticed some Costco employees wearing clear face shields instead of masks. The kind of face shield you might wear for grinding or something. Totally open around the sides and bottom. I suppose it would stop the physical material from a sneeze or something, but I'm thinking it's not very effective for anything else. I'm wondering if employees are complaining about breathing problems with masks, and Costco gave them an out with the face shields. To me, that just kind of gives the impression of "mask theater" versus really wanting people to wear masks for protection of themselves and others.

Usually this time of year, Costco has a big display of Summer recreational gear like kayaks, inflatables, float tubes, camping gear, etc. There has been practically nothing (at least at my Costco, and river floating is big here) on display the last couple of times I've been there. Just wondering if there is any correlation to people not doing those activities as much now. Though they are outdoor activities where distancing is easy. Anyway, I thought it was abnormal.

Lastly, though, as I said, I'd been to Costco plenty of times since the mask thing, for some reason as I was walking the aisles today and seeing all the masked shoppers walking around in status quo mode, I couldn't help but be hit with the thought of "Dystopian normal" - almost like I was a character in some Science Fiction book I was reading about a post-pandemic or other disaster world. If you would have told me I'd be interacting with people in a masked world as normal, I would have thought you had just watched Bladerunner or something. Anyway, just a random weird thought I had.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3483 on: July 15, 2020, 02:56:37 PM »
According to the internal conference calls the FL hospital my wife works at is in the 15-ish% range for positive tests, although they are testing ALL patients, ALL employees with confirmed exposure to a positive case, and any employee that complains of symptoms, so that's a lot of testing.  Cases are up, percentage of cases that are requiring hospitalization are up, and percentage of those that require ICU care are up from 30 days ago.* We're also seeing more community spread by PPE complacency then 30 days ago.
Based on the dashboard you posted it looks like you are only now hitting your first peak.  Almost no detected cases at all until June?  Looks like your area is about two/two and a half months behind a lot of the country.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3484 on: July 15, 2020, 03:05:10 PM »
Based on the dashboard you posted it looks like you are only now hitting your first peak.  Almost no detected cases at all until June?  Looks like your area is about two/two and a half months behind a lot of the country.

We're pretty steady with the rest of FL.  The first US peak was CA and NY mostly.  FL is getting a lot of the second one.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3485 on: July 15, 2020, 03:11:11 PM »
Usually this time of year, Costco has a big display of Summer recreational gear like kayaks, inflatables, float tubes, camping gear, etc. There has been practically nothing (at least at my Costco, and river floating is big here) on display the last couple of times I've been there. Just wondering if there is any correlation to people not doing those activities as much now. Though they are outdoor activities where distancing is easy. Anyway, I thought it was abnormal.

I think there are  a several causes to the lack of recreational/hobby stuff I've been seeing.  Part of it is a hell of a lot of that stuff is made in China or other offshore locations and the supply chain has had a serious disruption.  Another factor is that people are buy up all the boredom busters they can get their hands on.

Saw an interesting phenomenon on the 4th of July. All the fireworks stands around Tulsa were essentially sold out by midafternoon. I don't know if it was due to a lack of supply or a higher than usual sales volume.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3486 on: July 15, 2020, 03:17:27 PM »

Saw an interesting phenomenon on the 4th of July. All the fireworks stands around Tulsa were essentially sold out by midafternoon. I don't know if it was due to a lack of supply or a higher than usual sales volume.

There's a big fireworks store at the I84 offramp I take when coming home from the Boise region. I only have two years of data, but this place easily had four times the traffic this year compared to last year. Cars were parked well past their big parking lot up and down the frontage road there. I suppose with all the cancellations of professional shows, in places where they can, people decided to make their own shows.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3487 on: July 15, 2020, 03:17:40 PM »

I'm going with high sales volume:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIvdcdogC6k
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3488 on: July 15, 2020, 04:00:45 PM »
  If you'd like to call my wife or I a liar, you can of course, but I will take umbrage if you do.

I bite my thumb at you, sir.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3489 on: July 15, 2020, 05:45:16 PM »
Today for the first time, I noticed some Costco employees wearing clear face shields instead of masks. The kind of face shield you might wear for grinding or something. Totally open around the sides and bottom. I suppose it would stop the physical material from a sneeze or something, but I'm thinking it's not very effective for anything else. I'm wondering if employees are complaining about breathing problems with masks, and Costco gave them an out with the face shields. To me, that just kind of gives the impression of "mask theater" versus really wanting people to wear masks for protection of themselves and others.

There are claims these are about as effective as masks.  I don't know myself.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3490 on: July 15, 2020, 06:05:44 PM »
There are claims these are about as effective as masks.  I don't know myself.

Well, I suppose they're better than mask below the nose, which I've seen done by many employees at different stores.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3491 on: July 15, 2020, 06:39:51 PM »
One of the schools east of me has plans for teachers to wear face shields and the kids wear nothing. They say it is still a work in progress depending on state and local guidelines come the start of school.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3492 on: July 15, 2020, 08:29:42 PM »
Well, I suppose they're better than mask below the nose, which I've seen done by many employees at different stores.
Some people do have breathing issues and some of those masks don't help at all.  I can see something like a face shield making it much easier for some people.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3493 on: July 15, 2020, 08:31:09 PM »
We're pretty steady with the rest of FL.  The first US peak was CA and NY mostly.  FL is getting a lot of the second one.
It helps that Florida did not force COVID-19 patients into nursing homes.  I think Texas is in that first peak category to an extent.  I heard hospitalizations were up, but may have fallen off a little lately.

I think the main thing to keep in mind is COVID-19 is not going away.  All these precautions are doing is slowing it down (we hope).  I get the impression some people don't understand that.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3494 on: July 15, 2020, 10:29:19 PM »
More and more though, commercial, and even home, HVAC systems have UV lights in the air stream that are put there specifically to kill germs and viri.

I don't think this is anywhere near as widespread as your post makes it seem, Mike. Yesterday I spoke with one of the best mechanical engineers in this state about COVID-19 and code changes for ventilation. The question of UV sterilization in HVAC questions came up. She said it's very rare for an owner to request that. It won't become commonplace unless/until the building code requires it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3495 on: July 15, 2020, 11:04:08 PM »

Our county (Hillsborough County) is about the same on the morning calls.  According to the county's dashboard out 14 day rolling average is currently at 16.16% of tests are positive.  Over the entire pandemic our percent of positive tests are 9.9%

*I know this is a source of contention on here, and that's one of the reasons I don't post much in this thread.  To the skeptics, I would warn that ,unless noted and accompanied by a link, I am only talking about the numbers here in Tampa that I was either present for the conference call discussing them, or my wife or close friends (who are employed at area hospitals and are actually treating the COVID cases or managing our response here in Tampa) have first hand knowledge of.  I'm not going off of podcasts or internet oped numbers.  If you'd like to call my wife or I a liar, you can of course, but I will take umbrage if you do.

Any data on the demographics and overall percentage of those requiring hospitalization and/or ICU care?

The corporate/media/government narrative doesn't differentiate between those who are hit hard and those who have much milder symptoms. It's all Covid 1984 hair on fire danger Will Robinson!!

It's already been established the death counts are flat out lies.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3496 on: July 15, 2020, 11:53:42 PM »
One of the schools east of me has plans for teachers to wear face shields and the kids wear nothing.

My my! A very progressive school, I see.

Unless this disease truly gets out of hand, or the media ups their fear-mongering to more effective levels, that's what we can expect. You make people wear the masks when they don't really want to, they'll just try and skate by.

I have to wear one for my job now, and I mostly just ape the customer that's in front of me. If he's wearing one, I pull mine up as far as his goes (above or below the nose, whatever). Aside from that, I mostly keep the mask down on my chin. Looks stupid, but whatever.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3497 on: July 16, 2020, 01:05:22 PM »
Any data on the demographics and overall percentage of those requiring hospitalization and/or ICU care?

If there is I don't have it.  Most of my info comes from listening in on, or talking to people that did listen to, the various hospital's morning "stand up briefs".  That kind of info isn't covered in those briefs.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3498 on: July 16, 2020, 01:27:20 PM »
Here's some age data for all of Florida:

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3499 on: July 16, 2020, 01:40:32 PM »
I find the slight uptick after 108 years old kind of strange.

My county gave some numbers today. 23 total cases since the start. Five considered active. Zero hospitalizations and we have only had one death. It was in May she was over eighty and got it from a visiting family member.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG