Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 446906 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #3800 on: August 07, 2020, 03:45:42 PM »
And by the way, in this county, by the numbers, you're almost as likely to be murdered, as die of/with "the 'Rona". 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3801 on: August 07, 2020, 03:54:24 PM »
Alyssa Milano tests positive and of course she's running her mouth off it's Trump's fault
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3802 on: August 07, 2020, 03:58:17 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3804 on: August 07, 2020, 04:01:59 PM »
Alyssa Milano tests positive and of course she's running her mouth off it's Trump's fault

Best wishes if she actually had it, but there are some timelines out there that make it doubtful. Or else turn her into a mega grandma killer during the time she was accusing others of that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3805 on: August 07, 2020, 04:08:34 PM »

I hope she's not been letting Joe sniff her hair if she does have it. After all, she has no problem with Joe since she was able to successfully hypocrite her way past Tara Read...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3806 on: August 07, 2020, 05:21:21 PM »
My kids' school is scheduled to start Sept 10th.  We learned today that it will be online learning, nothing in person, starting from day 1. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3807 on: August 07, 2020, 05:27:22 PM »
Our pastor's wife is trying to figure out how to teach 2nd-graders to read on Zoom.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3808 on: August 07, 2020, 09:48:29 PM »
A few things I noticed during my recent hospitalization.

No visitors. When I had my shoulder surgery on 6/15 my wife was allowed to wait in the surgical waiting room but she had to wear a mask even if there was no one else in there.

Maternity is allowed 1 visitor.

In all my experience with ambulatory surgical patients, mine and others, the first thing they do as soon as possible is get.your ass out of walk you up and down the halls. That is no longer happening at this hospital and I suspect most or all others. I think that is a very bad thing.
I asked my nurse about it and she politely declined to discuss it. I did get a grin I could see through her mask when I mentioned that I suspected it would all be over November 4th.

The hospital was mostly empty. I was wheeled passed the ICU ward and it appeared to be shuttered.

At least while I was conscious I was not administered a COVID test and it was not mentioned to me nor is ther any notes about it in my online records.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3809 on: August 07, 2020, 09:57:31 PM »

In all my experience with ambulatory surgical patients, mine and others, the first thing they do as soon as possible is get.your ass out of walk you up and down the halls. That is no longer happening at this hospital and I suspect most or all others. I think that is a very bad thing.

Wow. I'm not a medical expert, but that does sound bad. After I think just three hours of bed rest, probably to make sure I was clear of anesthesia, I recall they came and bugged me like every hour to get up, grab my IV stand, and do a lap around halls. When I was in bed, they used those leg wraps to keep the blood flowing in my legs. They were really big on movement. I wonder if there will be side effects from keeping people laying in bed in their rooms to avoid COVID.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3810 on: August 07, 2020, 10:50:24 PM »
Wow. I'm not a medical expert, but that does sound bad. After I think just three hours of bed rest, probably to make sure I was clear of anesthesia, I recall they came and bugged me like every hour to get up, grab my IV stand, and do a lap around halls. When I was in bed, they used those leg wraps to keep the blood flowing in my legs. They were really big on movement. I wonder if there will be side effects from keeping people laying in bed in their rooms to avoid COVID.

Bed sores and other circulatory problems .........
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3811 on: August 09, 2020, 01:09:23 AM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3812 on: August 09, 2020, 10:04:05 AM »
I'm keeping my 1998 vintage Nokia 5190. I haven't gotten so much as a sniffle from it.  :old:

Woody

How the hell is that thing still operational? I thought the old analog phones went dead with the conversion to digital...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #3813 on: August 09, 2020, 10:43:56 AM »
How the hell is that thing still operational? I thought the old analog phones went dead with the conversion to digital...

It IS digital. I believe it was the first model to go digital. It is 2G. It works just fine, is real clear, and is only on its second battery. I guess Nokia built it too good!

I had to replace (solder in) a couple of salvaged battery contacts and in order to keep the battery/rear case in place, I put a couple of strips of epoxy along the seam where the battery attaches to the back of the phone. If I have to do any more surgery on it, it will be a simple matter of shaving off the epoxy. I didn't put epoxy in the seam, only across it. Soon, however, no one will support 2G and I'll have to bite the bullet and replace it. T-Mobile still supports 2G. I don't know who else supports it, but I do know that AT&T does not.

Woody

"Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3814 on: August 09, 2020, 12:38:52 PM »
Sadly, I don't see it being supported for more than another year at best with the current trends in the wireless world.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
« Reply #3815 on: August 09, 2020, 05:12:47 PM »
Sadly, I don't see it being supported for more than another year at best with the current trends in the wireless world.

I guess I'll have to start another cash envelope, label it "Phone", and get prepared.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3816 on: August 10, 2020, 07:28:37 AM »
I guess I'll have to start another cash envelope, label it "Phone", and get prepared.

Woody

Plenty of used phones available, maybe even 3G Nokias.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3817 on: August 10, 2020, 09:15:17 AM »
I guess this belongs in this thread. I just saw that the injuns in South Dakota are setting up roadblocks to stop bikers from going to Sturgis via roads that go through reservations. Apparently there are some big legal issues with this. If it were fed/state land, it seems it would be illegal to stop someone because they were on a motorcycle or because of the way they dressed, but let others through, all because of COVID.

Maybe they're turning everyone around, but the news snippet made it sound like just bikers.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3818 on: August 10, 2020, 10:44:51 AM »
^^^Interesting. I could see that as a sovereign nation, a reservation could certainly put up roadblocks/build a wall on their property and roads.  But a state or Federal highway going through the reservation, hmmm.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
« Reply #3819 on: August 10, 2020, 12:22:36 PM »
Plenty of used phones available, maybe even 3G Nokias.

I'll check into that. E-Bay maybe? Pawn shops?

Woody

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3820 on: August 10, 2020, 12:25:36 PM »
Try your cell service provider. They often have good quality older phones for a pittance.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3821 on: August 11, 2020, 08:14:03 AM »
I guess this belongs in this thread. I just saw that the injuns in South Dakota are setting up roadblocks to stop bikers from going to Sturgis via roads that go through reservations. Apparently there are some big legal issues with this. If it were fed/state land, it seems it would be illegal to stop someone because they were on a motorcycle or because of the way they dressed, but let others through, all because of COVID.

Maybe they're turning everyone around, but the news snippet made it sound like just bikers.

Didn't an Indian reservation do this elsewhere too sometime after Covid started?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3823 on: August 12, 2020, 11:55:06 AM »
I'll check into that. E-Bay maybe? Pawn shops?

Woody

About $40 gets you a gently used in great condition Casio Boulder on EBay. It’s what I got for my father when he needed a phone but didn’t want to join the smartphone world
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3824 on: August 13, 2020, 09:51:53 AM »
Somewhat tangential, but there is a raging wildfire in CA right now displacing people from their homes. The Red Cross is refusing donation of vital items for the displaced because of the virus, and also not setting up shelters for the homeless because of COVID protocols.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/08/13/little-to-no-containment-firefighters-battling-10000-acre-wildfire-near-lake-hughes-ca-lakefire/