Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 444199 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #3850 on: August 30, 2020, 08:50:46 AM »
This should help clear things up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwxdwxi_ayA
=D Very Good.  Thanks for sharing.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3851 on: August 30, 2020, 09:16:52 AM »
=D Very Good.  Thanks for sharing.

Very funny.  :laugh:

Interesting that according to the description, Google keeps deleting it. I guess even jokes are out of bounds.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3852 on: August 30, 2020, 02:12:28 PM »
New information from the CDC, their weekly "Weekly Updates by Select Demographic and Geographic Characteristics" report.
A very interesting paragraph right before table 3 in report:

"Comorbidities
Table 3 shows the types of health conditions and contributing causes mentioned in conjunction with deaths involving coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). For 6% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned. For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 2.6 additional conditions or causes per death. The number of deaths with each condition or cause is shown for all deaths and by age groups."

Bolding is mine.
I sure hope I am misinterpreting the report.

The report is here:  https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3853 on: August 30, 2020, 11:30:41 PM »
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/08/shock-report-week-cdc-quietly-updated-covid-19-numbers-9210-americans-died-covid-19-alone-rest-serious-illnesses/
I was sent this a few minutes ago and came here to see if it was posted (and it was above).  I haven't had a chance to look at the information yet.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 12:40:55 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3854 on: August 30, 2020, 11:51:38 PM »
See my post above yours, MechAg94.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3855 on: August 31, 2020, 07:44:56 AM »
QFT

Comorbidities

Table 3 shows the types of health conditions and contributing causes mentioned in conjunction with deaths involving coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). For 6% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned. For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 2.6 additional conditions or causes per death. The number of deaths with each condition or cause is shown for all deaths and by age groups.

That 6% is among the ATTRIBUTED deaths, which we know was and is a massively overinflated number.

They've been telling us they were lying to us all along so I don't think this admission will change anything.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3856 on: August 31, 2020, 09:08:12 AM »
You have to use a workaround like reloading and stopping your browser to get past the VIP block, but interesting story on Peru.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/08/30/lockdown-success-story-peru-now-leads-the-world-in-per-capita-covid-19-deaths/

I wonder if they shut down and just went "normal" too fast, or what? Because it sounds like they were all isolating and then just went right back to business, which just means that they postponed the inevitability of infection instead of controlling the infection rate.

Anyway, the MSM has been telling me that the US is the hotspot and the worst country in the world.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #3857 on: August 31, 2020, 09:12:02 AM »
For 6% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned.
How does that compare to any other disease? Do people dying of cancer have ONLY cancer listed on their death cert?

If you get COVID when perfectly healthy and it gives you pneumonia & liver failure which eventually kill you, those will show up in cause of death too but it's COVID that did it. If you have a mild pre-existing condition (hypertension, obesity,  diabetes, etc.) that you've been living with perfectly well and COVID comes along and kills you, those will be listed too. Saying it only kills people with pre-existing conditions is not terribly reassuring when ~1/2 the country has a pre-existing condition.

As I've said before, you can look at the excess deaths and they match up pretty well with what the COVID numbers are. If the COVID deaths are "fake" then there just happened to be something else killing a lot more people right when COVID peaked.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3858 on: August 31, 2020, 09:20:50 AM »
Apropos of nothing at all:

In my Army Professional Development class this weekend we were discussing the difference between Data and Knowledge.  And how you can have a ton of Data and still not have any useful Knowledge.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3859 on: August 31, 2020, 09:31:08 AM »
Apropos of nothing at all:

In my Army Professional Development class this weekend we were discussing the difference between Data and Knowledge.  And how you can have a ton of Data and still not have any useful Knowledge.

Which is why despite my skepticism I've been going along with the sanitation theater and obedience training mask compliance.

The problem for me is that nearly every new data point that comes out seems to point to this being a massive overreaction to this particular virus.

And then of course the lies upon lies...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3860 on: August 31, 2020, 12:40:28 PM »
See my post above yours, MechAg94.
I saw that.  I guess I did not say that. 

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3861 on: September 01, 2020, 07:46:55 AM »
How does that compare to any other disease? Do people dying of cancer have ONLY cancer listed on their death cert?

If you get COVID when perfectly healthy and it gives you pneumonia & liver failure which eventually kill you, those will show up in cause of death too but it's COVID that did it. If you have a mild pre-existing condition (hypertension, obesity,  diabetes, etc.) that you've been living with perfectly well and COVID comes along and kills you, those will be listed too. Saying it only kills people with pre-existing conditions is not terribly reassuring when ~1/2 the country has a pre-existing condition.

As I've said before, you can look at the excess deaths and they match up pretty well with what the COVID numbers are. If the COVID deaths are "fake" then there just happened to be something else killing a lot more people right when COVID peaked.

Chuck was a friend and the father of a long time friend of mine.

He was in his 80's

He was a lifetime smoker with COPD.

He took a fall, went into the hospital got pneumonia, fought it off but they eventually sent him home, hospice.

He hung in there for a year, during which time Covid comes on the scene.

He took another tumble at home, goes to hospital, contracts pneumonia again.

He has specific instructions, no ventilator. He died.

They tested him and he comes up positive.

He is coded as a Covid -19 death.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #3862 on: September 01, 2020, 09:35:31 AM »
Chuck was a friend and the father of a long time friend of mine.

He was in his 80's

He was a lifetime smoker with COPD.

He took a fall, went into the hospital got pneumonia, fought it off but they eventually sent him home, hospice.

He hung in there for a year, during which time Covid comes on the scene.

He took another tumble at home, goes to hospital, contracts pneumonia again.

He has specific instructions, no ventilator. He died.

They tested him and he comes up positive.

Therefore, COVID isn’t very dangerous?

The statistics game continues. Looking at anything approaching a medical source, it is clear that COVID is a dangerous illness the spread of which is effectively halted by quarantine.

But someone somewhere has a mate on the internet or knows a guy who was really old and got coded as a COVID death, so scrub the medical sources.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3863 on: September 01, 2020, 09:45:20 AM »

The statistics game continues. Looking at anything approaching a medical source, it is clear that COVID is a dangerous illness the spread of which is effectively halted by quarantine.

But someone somewhere has a mate on the internet or knows a guy who was really old and got coded as a COVID death, so scrub the medical sources.

That one word is a weasel word.

But NO, COVID is not very dangerous. It's mortality rate is dropping and was never all that high to begin with.

As we lacked the ability to test, we had no idea how widespread the disease was. As more data becomes available, it's pretty clear that, while deadlier than the flu (to older people), it has very little danger for otherwise healthy people.

Our country is overreacting. (As are most other countries, but even they recognize the folly of shutting down schools for a disease less dangerous to children than even a mild flu. New Zealand seems to be acting like this is the Andromeda strain, so at least one country is overreacting worse than the U.S. Yay.)

The overzealous authorities in the country are causing more deaths with these shutdowns. Livelihoods are being destroyed and people are avoiding (or being denied) medical care that is leading to deaths from lack of care.

We should protect the vulnerable and then allow this disease to finish its normal course through the population. IF the hospitals start to get overwhelmed, we can address that, but pretty clearly any such danger has LONG since passed.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3864 on: September 01, 2020, 09:51:19 AM »
Looking at anything approaching a medical source, it is clear that COVID is a dangerous illness the spread of which is effectively halted by quarantine.
Only for certain values of "effectively halted" and "quarantine".

Yes, if you shut down all travel and brutally enforce an omniscient, absolute quarantine then you can stop it.  Until you let up even a little bit.

Anything less than absolute quarantine means you simply slow the spread.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #3865 on: September 01, 2020, 09:59:51 AM »
It does sound like it was unfortunately Chuck's time to check-out, COVID or not.
So what if we ignore the coding? Can you still see an unusual spike in deaths?
Quote from: CDC Reported number of deaths from all causes
Week-ending Date:       April 8, 2017 Number of deaths:   55,267
Week-ending Date:       April 7, 2018 Number of deaths:   55,420
Week-ending Date:       April 13, 2019 Number of deaths: 55,625
Week-ending Date:       April 11, 2020 Number of deaths: 78,758

The overzealous authorities in the country are causing more deaths with these shutdowns.
This is quite possible but I haven't seen much research to really support it. I'd love to see some if you have any, but I realize it's a hard thing to demonstrate.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3866 on: September 01, 2020, 10:01:47 AM »

I didn't say that.

It is a real world illustration of how the coding of the disease does not give an accurate picture by which to assess risk.

We have been fed BS and we are left with the precautionary principle as our best guide.

As time outs the BS it is looking like there has been a massive over reaction to a nasty bug.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3867 on: September 01, 2020, 10:08:55 AM »
It does sound like it was unfortunately Chuck's time to check-out, COVID or not.
So what if we ignore the coding? Can you still see an unusual spike in deaths?This is quite possible but I haven't seen much research to really support it. I'd love to see some if you have any, but I realize it's a hard thing to demonstrate.

I haven't even disputed anything to do with the total deaths number.

Although a casual perusal shows the overall numbers do not show the hair on fire everyone is dying numbers the media is proclaiming.

How many more deaths do we have this year compared to previous years?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3868 on: September 01, 2020, 10:14:16 AM »
How many more deaths do we have this year compared to previous years?
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm
Excess deaths since 2/1/2020
All causes: 183,392 - 245,305
Excluding COVID-19 attributed deaths: 29,987 - 82,049

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #3869 on: September 01, 2020, 10:15:15 AM »
I haven't even disputed anything to do with the total deaths number.
You have made the point (over and over and over again) that death cert coding data is inaccurate.
My point is that the total/excess deaths matches up pretty well with the coding data, which suggests that whatever inaccuracies are in there are not huge.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3870 on: September 01, 2020, 10:43:50 AM »
The overall death rate is up, and covid is the obvious cause.  That may not be true, but it's likely so let's assume it is true.  But is it a direct cause (people dying of covid who would not have died otherwise), or is it indirect; people dying from other things because of the lockdowns?  I think it's both, but I don't know which is more.  The numbers don't mean much because there's both overreporting and underreporting going on at the same time.
"It's good, though..."

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3871 on: September 01, 2020, 11:04:47 AM »
Trying to find just the hard numbers of 2020 deaths to compare them with hard numbers of 2019 deaths is an act in futility.

I'll admit my googlefoo isn't that strong but all searches are swamped with covid numbers and "excess death" numbers.

Excess deaths appear to be deaths that weren't predicted by statisticians.

I don't really care about that but want to see hard numbers month to month and up to this point, all causes without a breakdown.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #3872 on: September 01, 2020, 11:25:18 AM »
Following daily numbers and statistics is mostly fallacious. Just as you can't say it rains 1/4 inch every day because it rains a total of 91 inches in a year, you can't logically say a spike in numbers one day or week is a trend and vice versa. It is nothing more than random happenstance.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3873 on: September 01, 2020, 11:40:29 AM »
Following daily numbers and statistics is mostly fallacious. Just as you can't say it rains 1/4 inch every day because it rains a total of 91 inches in a year, you can't logically say a spike in numbers one day or week is a trend and vice versa. It is nothing more than random happenstance.

Woody

The total YTD numbers compared to previous years should theoretically show if there was an unusual spike in deaths or if it was comparable to bad flu years (not saying it is a flu).

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #3874 on: September 01, 2020, 11:52:54 AM »
Trying to find just the hard numbers of 2020 deaths to compare them with hard numbers of 2019 deaths is an act in futility.
I don't really care about that but want to see hard numbers month to month and up to this point, all causes without a breakdown.

Most of the excess deaths reports should also include the "real" number. For example here you can ignore the orange line and the light blue bars.
The actual number of reported deaths is the dark blue bars. It looks to me like more than just random happenstance.