Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 446208 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #3875 on: September 01, 2020, 11:56:44 AM »
I'll admit my googlefoo isn't that strong but all searches are swamped with covid numbers and "excess death" numbers.

Excess deaths appear to be deaths that weren't predicted by statisticians.

I don't really care about that but want to see hard numbers month to month and up to this point, all causes without a breakdown.
You're accidentally ignoring the very data you're looking for because the title seems misleading.  Below is a link to raw death data (all causes) broken down by week and state from 2017-2020.
https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Excess-Deaths-Associated-with-COVID-19/xkkf-xrst/data
Click on Export and then summarize at whatever resolution you prefer.

You can also see what a nasty flu season spike looks like in that data as the 2017-2018 flu season was pretty bad.  These are the data behind DittoHead's link.

Following daily numbers and statistics is mostly fallacious. Just as you can't say it rains 1/4 inch every day because it rains a total of 91 inches in a year, you can't logically say a spike in numbers one day or week is a trend and vice versa. It is nothing more than random happenstance.
Look, I don't have a PhD in stats but I've used them professionally for many years.  Daily stats can be very useful in evaluating trends (for instance, it has been very interesting to follow the very low and steady daily death rate after the initial death spike hits an area despite massive increases in positive tests).  That said, I'm not sure you're really following the conversation here.  Who do you think is using daily stats to prove what?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3876 on: September 01, 2020, 04:19:39 PM »
Therefore, COVID isn’t very dangerous?

The statistics game continues. Looking at anything approaching a medical source, it is clear that COVID is a dangerous illness the spread of which is effectively halted by quarantine hydroxychloroquine, zinc, and azithromycin applied in the early stages.

But someone somewhere has a mate on the internet or knows a guy who was really old and got coded as a COVID death, so scrub the medical sources.

FTFY.

Quarantine just delays the inevitable.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #3877 on: September 01, 2020, 09:01:29 PM »
FTFY.

Quarantine just delays the inevitable.

Well, not entirely - it does seem to be limiting the spread. Places like New Zealand and Australia for example have far, far lower rates of infection than the US and on any projection that will continue to be true.

Halt was too strong a word though, that implies zero Infection which is unachievable.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3878 on: September 02, 2020, 04:02:46 AM »
Therefore, COVID isn’t very dangerous?

The statistics game continues. Looking at anything approaching a medical source, it is clear that COVID is a dangerous illness the spread of which is effectively halted by quarantine.

But someone somewhere has a mate on the internet or knows a guy who was really old and got coded as a COVID death, so scrub the medical sources.

Yes it is very dangerous. That is why everyone on the Disney Princess died. That is why everyone on the Theodore Roosevelt died. That's why millions of Japans largely elderly population died...
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #3879 on: September 02, 2020, 04:20:37 AM »
Yes it is very dangerous. That is why everyone on the Disney Princess died. That is why everyone on the Theodore Roosevelt died. That's why millions of Japans largely elderly population died...

What percentage had serious complications, hospitalisation, died, and how many other people got sick as a result of those sick people and themselves suffered serious complications?

It’s highly infectious and seems to cause serious illness and death at far higher rates than any other disease currently endemic on the same scale.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3880 on: September 02, 2020, 10:55:55 AM »
I don't know that Trump personally has involvement with this, as the headline alludes, but I think it is bad for his administration. You might get renter votes, but since this has zero mention of mortgage relief, you're gonna get a lot of small landlords sitting at home on voting day.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/09/02/trump-administration-moves-to-halt-evictions-with-new-cdc-edict/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3881 on: September 02, 2020, 05:52:47 PM »
I don't know that Trump personally has involvement with this, as the headline alludes, but I think it is bad for his administration. You might get renter votes, but since this has zero mention of mortgage relief, you're gonna get a lot of small landlords sitting at home on voting day.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/09/02/trump-administration-moves-to-halt-evictions-with-new-cdc-edict/

So no one in the country has to pay rent for the rest of the year?  Am I understanding this correctly?

Well, that is both idiotic and illegal…. ;/

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3882 on: September 02, 2020, 07:42:27 PM »
Well I am a landlord, as I think I've mentioned before.

From my end, if my rent checks stop coming (or become smaller) without some damn good prior communication and excuse, then I would just smile and nod, and serve eviction papers on Jan 1.

That said, I have found that being a landlord, like any longterm business relationship,  requires a little effort on my part to make sure that the relationship flourishes.  I also, as the owner of a single rental property,  can and do exercise a lot of caution before choosing someone to rent to.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3883 on: September 02, 2020, 07:53:35 PM »
Orange Vaccine Bad
The timeline raised concern among public health experts about an “October surprise” — a vaccine approval driven by political considerations ahead of a presidential election, rather than science.

If it wasn't a election year they would be screaming Trump held it up

CDC tells states: Be ready to distribute vaccines on Nov. 1
https://www.wave3.com/2020/09/02/cdc-tells-states-be-ready-distribute-vaccines-nov/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3884 on: September 02, 2020, 08:19:24 PM »
Well I am a landlord, as I think I've mentioned before.

I was a landlord, and like you I tried to carefully choose tenants. Still, that's not a guarantee when stuff like this becomes law (which is one of the reasons I stopped being a California landlord).

I understand hard times and would have no problem working with a tenant, but this lowest common denominator stuff that gives tenants carte blanche is ridiculous.

Even if a landlord doesn't have a mortgage, for many of them, especially older, retired people, the rent might be a majority of their income. It's unfair to simply give everything to the tenant and nothing to the landlord. Especially if the tenant might be some millennial telecommuter who is actually still being paid. I didn't see (there might be) anything in this plan to check tenant incomes affected by covid.

To me, this is just another step towards "property is evil". And eventually, as  I have harped on in the past, the only result of stuff like this is small, independent landlords that tenants could have a relationship with, saying, "screw this". Those tenants can then deal with housing shortages and corporate landlords with lots of lawyers on staff.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #3885 on: September 03, 2020, 08:40:57 AM »
I don't know that Trump personally has involvement with this, as the headline alludes
I don't think he gets to claim ignorance on this.
I want to make it unmistakably clear that I’m protecting people from evictions.
-President Donald J. Trump
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #3886 on: September 03, 2020, 09:14:47 PM »
As for the CDC Eviction thing. I would agree it is probably not in the end legal. I would also agree it is probably a bad policy. However this was part of the bills they were trying to pass in Congress. I would have hoped there was also some answers for landlords in that potential legislation.

I get what Trump is trying to do, with the Dems doing everything they can to avoid helping anyone while demanding everyone stay home he is left with few options. Many Republicans are just as guilty here too. I think this may fall under good intentions are not always good policy, but do we really want more people just thrown out on the streets? Obviously something needs to be done for landlords too, but I think as long as many people can’t fully work options are limited.

What I think they should have done was told banks awhile ago that all mortgages and loans are suspended and will have the extra months tacked on to the end of the term. This would have alleviated a lot of this from landlord and homeowner side. Then they could have done something for renters. The banks have been helped enough recently they should be able to weather it and could be helped again. Landlords they really required it could have been helped too.

Or they could have not shut down it all down at all. We know that was mostly a Dem/Media forced thing though. They thought it would help them beat Trump. I supposed some ‘socia distancing’ or what not may have been required, but this whole thing was probably overdone.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3887 on: September 07, 2020, 03:50:25 PM »
I just had several brain cells jump ship
Please tell me this is parody

The #COVID19 pandemic is demonstrating what we all know: millennia of patriarchy have resulted in a male-dominated world with a male-dominated culture which damages everyone – women, men, girls & boys.

— @antonioguterres https://t.co/ppSUGLr2Wx pic.twitter.com/krT6HkQil6

— United Nations (@UN) September 6, 2020
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/09/07/can-we-defund-them-now-u-n-says-the-covid19-pandemic-demonstrates-that-the-patriarchy-damages-everyone/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3888 on: September 08, 2020, 12:55:28 PM »
    Trump is objectively pro-Covid.

— Chris Hayes (@chrislhayes) September 8, 2020

Ooookay

Richard Grenell has a couple of objectively good questions after Chris Hayes declares that ‘Trump is objectively pro-Covid’
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/09/08/richard-grenell-has-a-couple-of-objectively-good-questions-after-chris-hayes-declares-that-trump-is-objectively-pro-covid/
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3889 on: September 08, 2020, 01:22:41 PM »
Places like New Zealand and Australia for example have far, far lower rates of infection than the US and on any projection that will continue to be true.
Go Australian lockdown enforcement!
https://nypost.com/2020/09/02/pregnant-mom-arrested-for-facebook-post-planning-lockdown-protest/

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3890 on: September 08, 2020, 08:45:14 PM »
Still two months to the election. I fear the stupid is going to get even worse

Gov. Andrew Cuomo: "Donald Trump caused the COVID outbreak in New York. Donald Trump caused the COVID outbreak in New York." pic.twitter.com/KVoz89xYQW

— The Hill (@thehill) September 8, 2020
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/09/08/can-we-get-a-fact-check-andrew-cuomo-says-its-a-fact-that-donald-trump-caused-the-covid-outbreak-in-new-york-video/
- Calvin and Hobbes

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #3891 on: September 08, 2020, 10:08:39 PM »
Go Australian lockdown enforcement!
https://nypost.com/2020/09/02/pregnant-mom-arrested-for-facebook-post-planning-lockdown-protest/

https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2020/09/coronavirus-covid-19-at-a-glance-8-september-2020.pdf

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-current-situation/covid-19-current-cases

And a comparison:   https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

COUNTRY   CONFIRMED  DEATHS     CASE/          DEATHS/100k
                                                      FATALITY

US           6,300,622      189,208        3.0%           57.83

Australia   26,373       770             2.9%            3.08

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3892 on: September 08, 2020, 10:41:01 PM »
Yes, totalitarianism can be effective!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3893 on: September 08, 2020, 10:56:45 PM »
https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2020/09/coronavirus-covid-19-at-a-glance-8-september-2020.pdf

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-current-situation/covid-19-current-cases

And a comparison:   https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

COUNTRY   CONFIRMED  DEATHS     CASE/          DEATHS/100k
                                                      FATALITY

US           6,300,622      189,208        3.0%           57.83

Australia   26,373       770             2.9%            3.08

And tell me what is the population density of the Great Down-Under compared to America?

One thing I note, within America;  New York City is very densely populated,  and was very hard hit by The Andromeda Strain I mean covid19 (*sigh*  did it again ... my error)  while Midwest states suffered much less.

You don't think population density could be a big factor?
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3894 on: September 08, 2020, 11:18:20 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #3895 on: September 08, 2020, 11:52:55 PM »
Yes, totalitarianism can be effective!

Preventing the spread of plagues with basic public health measures isn’t totalitarianism anymore than mandating food safety storage and practices.

Where were all these people when the war on terror was resulting in people being disappeared to secret prisons without trial? Or warrantless recording of the entire internet? Why is COVID less scary than terrorism?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #3896 on: September 08, 2020, 11:54:08 PM »
And tell me what is the population density of the Great Down-Under compared to America?

One thing I note, within America;  New York City is very densely populated,  and was very hard hit by The Andromeda Strain I mean covid19 (*sigh*  did it again ... my error)  while Midwest states suffered much less.

You don't think population density could be a big factor?

The deaths per 100k head of population is in the last column.  So that’s just over 57 per hundred thousand in the USA, and just over 3 per hundred thousand in Australia

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3897 on: September 09, 2020, 12:21:21 AM »
Australia doesn't have Fredo's brother.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3898 on: September 09, 2020, 12:46:39 AM »
Preventing the spread of plagues with basic public health measures isn’t totalitarianism anymore than mandating food safety storage and practices.
The question is not whether a government should address the spread of disease. The question is whether there are any human rights which trump the government’s convenience.

It is a good reminder that no matter how seemingly normal a nation might seem to Americans, fundamental things such as freedom of speech, peaceably assembling, or petitioning one’s government can be criminalized at the whim of a politician.  I am glad you love your adopted country, although at times it seems you love it for its flaws, not in spite of them.

Do feel free to try and find my alleged defenses of the PATRIOT act.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3899 on: September 09, 2020, 03:46:27 AM »
The deaths per 100k head of population is in the last column.  So that’s just over 57 per hundred thousand in the USA, and just over 3 per hundred thousand in Australia

That's per 100k of total population, not population density.

"Preventing the spread of plagues with basic public health measures isn’t totalitarianism anymore than mandating food safety storage and practices. "

Let's stop the spread of AIDS by implementing the public health measures of executing everyone with it. It's not totalitarianism because it's a public health measure.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic