Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440359 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #3975 on: October 05, 2020, 09:32:08 AM »
Well, that's horrifying...

https://www.luxreview.com/2020/10/01/uv-c-accidents-highlight-need-for-caution/
In a primary school in Yhang, China, 130 students were exposed to UV-C disinfection lamp for five hours and many suffered burns to their eyes and skin.

The cause of the mishap was human error: the onsite electrician mistakenly turned on the lamps in three classrooms following a power failure.

In the Philippines last week, a UV-C robot named Keno mingled with members of the media while energised, resulting in a number of journalists requiring medical treatment.

Well, the first part is.

In the second, the robot should have been equipped with a phased plasma rife in the 40 watt range.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3976 on: October 05, 2020, 09:38:24 AM »

Well, the first part is.

In the second, the robot should have been equipped with a phased plasma rife in the 40 watt range.

Not wrong.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3977 on: October 05, 2020, 09:39:45 AM »
Well, they are French* so....

*French in attitude if not nationality

One of my favorite movie quotes from the otherwise forgettable Vertical limit:

Don't mind her. She's French-Canadian. Some days she's Canadian. Can be quite pleasant. Today she's obviously French.

Holds SO TRUE for the Quebecois snowbirds who will be rolling south next month.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3978 on: October 08, 2020, 09:30:23 AM »
Regarding testing methodology, I found this local story interesting. John Hopkins has Idaho at #2 for positive covid cases, but the state epidemiologist has us a good deal lower based on the data used for the calculation:

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/local/208/contrary-to-johns-hopkins-report-idaho-reports-9-covid-positivity-rate-not-23/277-89714b48-ea48-42f7-8cd1-ffce104bb301
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #3979 on: October 09, 2020, 09:33:24 PM »
The sign didn't say you can't run around naked!

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3981 on: October 12, 2020, 08:33:28 PM »
Just in the nick of time, something new the media can use to beat up on President Trump with and crank up the FEAR among the fearful before the election.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3982 on: October 12, 2020, 08:36:46 PM »
Assuming he actually had it in the first or second place. I'm not trusting a lot of the positive reports.
Now if this thing is going to be like the common cold or flu and keep mutating we're just going to have to grin and bear it and get on with life.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #3983 on: October 12, 2020, 09:29:51 PM »
First US case of re-infection with COVID confirmed. Well, that's not good.

It is the first confirmed case of so-called reinfection with the virus in the U.S. and the fifth confirmed reinfection case worldwide.

While I'll admit it isn't good, the odds seem to be against the majority of the population being at risk. 

My google-fu is weak tonight & I can't seem to find a figure for the approximate current world population, but I'd bet that 5 is less than 1% of whatever that figure is.

It may turn out that second infections are more likely than they seem to be at this time; I'm thinking that, right now, it's not something to be overly concerned about.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3984 on: October 12, 2020, 09:31:39 PM »
I thought we were all gonna be dead by now  ???
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #3985 on: October 12, 2020, 09:32:55 PM »
For any of you that missed it.

http://www.kimdutoit.com/2020/10/08/acceptable-risk/

I still don't give a *expletive deleted*it about the Kung Flu.  On the list of things that are likely to end me it's just too far down to worry about.  Which is why I have so much fun blowing off the mask "mandate".  Pass a law or kiss my ass.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3986 on: October 12, 2020, 10:45:55 PM »
According to the article, about 10% of people may not produce the antibodies to fight THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN oooops, covid19,  so they get reinfected,  or the antigens interfere somehow. 

This might not be a widespread problem. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3987 on: October 13, 2020, 08:31:38 AM »
The leftists can't even all stay on the same page.

More likely, they know the risk of reinfection is barely even measurable but need to keep the FEAR ramped up pre-election.

Somebody at Harvard didn't get the memo on the new talking point.

Four months isn't that long though so operation chaos can continue forward generating fear.

People who recovered from COVID-19 may have lasting protection against reinfection, the new study shows
https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2020/10/covid-survivors-may-have-four-months-of-protection/?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=hu-twitter-general&utm_medium=social

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3988 on: October 13, 2020, 08:47:05 AM »

More likely, they know the risk of reinfection is barely even measurable but need to keep the FEAR ramped up pre-election.

Well,  I would say "Who knows?". Because it all depends on people being tested. 90% of the people I know in meatspace, including me, have NOT ever been tested. I realize in many parts of the country people could say the opposite, but the point is that there are still LOTS of people who have never been tested, so who knows how many times others have already been infected and reinfected and got over it?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #3989 on: October 13, 2020, 09:30:57 AM »
I'm not going to worry about it - even if it is true. At .000000064% of the world population, come on man! (Thought I'd throw in a little Joe Biden for y'all.)

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3990 on: October 13, 2020, 09:38:27 AM »
The virus has been here over half a year and we are coming up on one year in China.

Five "confirmed" reinfections across the planet indicates it probably isn't that common.

Once we wrap up the year it will be interesting to see how this year compares to others regarding infections, hospitalizations and deaths.

With all the politicization, lies,  fear mongering, denial, propaganda and disinformation it has been a hard year to do personal risk assessment, especially while living in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country.

The fear and neuroticism is contagious. How do you stay balanced living in a literal dystopia?

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #3991 on: October 13, 2020, 11:29:07 AM »

The fear and neuroticism is contagious. How do you stay balanced living in a literal dystopia?

It takes a strong centered individual.  Personally, I have focused on finance, buying tulip futures and South Sea Trading stocks.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3992 on: October 13, 2020, 11:34:23 AM »
Whoops. Wrong thread.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3993 on: October 13, 2020, 11:36:55 AM »
How do you stay balanced living in a literal dystopia?

beer
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3994 on: October 13, 2020, 11:45:24 AM »
"How do you stay balanced living in a literal dystopia?"

Being an introvert really helps.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3995 on: October 13, 2020, 12:26:28 PM »
It takes a strong centered individual.  Personally, I have focused on finance, buying tulip futures and South Sea Trading stocks.

:laugh: I know enough history to get the reference, and pretend I understand it, though I really don't.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3996 on: October 13, 2020, 12:37:08 PM »
:laugh: I know enough history to get the reference, and pretend I understand it, though I really don't.

See Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds - Charles Mackay

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3997 on: October 13, 2020, 02:43:09 PM »

Feet shoulder length apart, weight slightly forward, maintain a firm grip with both hands, nice smooth trigger pull with just the finger. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3998 on: October 13, 2020, 03:17:26 PM »

It really does.  Mrs. Mush and I have avoided all family gatherings and holidays through at least Christmas with the "Due to the virus we are not visiting anyone" line.  Never mind that we are going camping in the mountains, which we prefer anyways.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3999 on: October 13, 2020, 04:02:42 PM »
Never mind that we are going camping in the mountains, which we prefer anyways.

Now that's social distancing.