Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 445780 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #4050 on: October 21, 2020, 08:47:14 AM »
More than likely the people who wanted 20 cases have acquired that since last spring.  I bet the people who just kept a few rolls in the house already changed their habits.  I imagine it is like the shooters who would go buy ammo before going to the range.  They realized they need to stock up a little. 

I would have thought the chance for post-election violence would motivate people more.

Yes, this is my thinking - that a lot of "just one of item 'X' in the house" people have changed their ways and become more like those of us here (though perhaps not quite as crazy  :laugh: ) and are keeping stock of important items. For only a couple of weeks perhaps, but even that changes their psychology so that they don't panic and overbuy. Sadly, in five years that smart supply stocking will be forgotten by most, and something else will then set off a new round of panic.

On the post election violence, JMO, but  I don't expect that to have as much of an effect on food and supply hoarding. I think that's more about guns, ammo, and security stuff hoarding.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4051 on: October 21, 2020, 09:09:44 AM »
Sadly, in five four years that smart supply stocking will be forgotten by most, and something else will then set off a new round of panic.

Just in time for the 2024 election mess.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4052 on: October 21, 2020, 11:24:43 AM »
Looks like NY and CA are going the anti-vaxxer route. Hopefully fed.gov won't send them tons of vaccine that will just sit unused for who knows how long. If those states want to do their own thing, fine, but don't send the vaccines in any quantity until they will actually distribute them. Plenty of other states could use the vaccine doses.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/newsom-california-coronavirus-vaccine-independent-review
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4053 on: October 21, 2020, 05:34:36 PM »
Today I had my pre-op testing for my upcoming shoulder surgery (Friday).
I Did not have to endure a "swab the brain" covid test.
I Did have to wear a mask. All the nurses and associated techs and such were wearing masks. I did note that the nurse running the show had her mask pulled down below her nose.
They will not let my wife wait inside for me, drop me off and pick me up for outpatient surgery.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4054 on: October 21, 2020, 05:37:17 PM »
Looks like NY and CA are going the anti-vaxxer route. Hopefully fed.gov won't send them tons of vaccine that will just sit unused for who knows how long. If those states want to do their own thing, fine, but don't send the vaccines in any quantity until they will actually distribute them. Plenty of other states could use the vaccine doses.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/newsom-california-coronavirus-vaccine-independent-review

CA will probably slap a Proposition 65 warning on it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 06:03:16 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4055 on: October 21, 2020, 10:25:05 PM »

If people need another reason to move...

Or, more likely, people will just be going out of state to get their dose. Better send the backward states' supplies to Nevada, Pennsylvania, etc.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4057 on: October 22, 2020, 10:21:30 AM »
"Looks like NY and CA are going the anti-vaxxer route. "

From some of the comments I've seen it would appear that they're going the anti-vaxx route because....

TRUMP! TRUMP DEVELOPED VACCINE! THAT MEANS IT MUST BE BAD!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4058 on: October 22, 2020, 11:08:52 AM »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4059 on: October 22, 2020, 01:17:41 PM »
Guess what they're now blaming on C19

Dentists are seeing more cracked teeth. Pandemic stress is to blame
https://www.wlky.com/article/dentists-are-seeing-more-cracked-teeth-pandemic-stress-is-to-blame/34200460
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4060 on: October 22, 2020, 10:12:34 PM »
Made a Sam's run this evening and noticed the paper goods aisle was cleaned out. Nothing. Not even so much as a napkin. New rush on TP and paper towels?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4061 on: October 22, 2020, 10:13:44 PM »
Made a Sam's run this evening and noticed the paper goods aisle was cleaned out. Nothing. Not even so much as a napkin. New rush on TP and paper towels?

Brad

Was in Sams Wed, zero TP
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4062 on: October 23, 2020, 07:17:51 AM »
The talking heads are saying we're a week out from a huge spike in Kung Flu cases, so get ready for another run on everything.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4063 on: October 23, 2020, 07:22:56 AM »
Our Sam's has been sporadic on stock ever since spring.  Some days no stock, some days piles and piles. 

When we arrived this week we saw several carts with multiple cases of paper towels but there were none on the floor.  They only had the expensive toilet paper left over.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4064 on: October 23, 2020, 08:00:15 AM »
I'm hitting the Costco this morning to stock up the new freezer. I'll report on inventory when I get back. We're one of the states large spikes, and a good deal of "OMG" local news stories, so I'll be interested to see if hoarding has started.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4065 on: October 23, 2020, 09:40:27 AM »
The talking heads are saying we're a week out from a huge spike in Kung Flu cases, so get ready for another run on everything.

That's just the right-wing corporate media (CNN, ABC, ETC.) trying to depress voter turnout.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4066 on: October 23, 2020, 09:54:33 AM »
That's just the right-wing corporate media (CNN, ABC, ETC.) trying to depress voter turnout.

Transparently ramping up fear before the election.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4067 on: October 23, 2020, 10:08:34 AM »
50 million years from now a future species will be digging through sediment layers and come across a layer where all evidence of a white papery substance suddenly disappears. Oh the theories that will be argued over on how that fits in with the human specie's disappearance
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4068 on: October 23, 2020, 10:12:54 AM »
We are seeing a spike here north of Seattle; the current rates per 100,000 is increasing.  We are going to Costco today after my last meeting and stock up on a few staples and paper products.

https://www.snohd.org/546/Local-Case-Counts

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4069 on: October 23, 2020, 10:19:13 AM »
We are seeing a spike here north of Seattle; the current rates per 100,000 is increasing.  We are going to Costco today after my last meeting and stock up on a few staples and paper products.

https://www.snohd.org/546/Local-Case-Counts

Are those cases ie active infections under a doctors supervision?

Or are they the new non-scientific use of the word "cases", any positive test?

Or are those numbers the aggregate of positive tests including the non symptomatic and those who tested positive on the antibody test (previously infected)?

Are there any controls to remove those who have been tested multiple times in order to determine whether they are still infectious to others?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4070 on: October 23, 2020, 10:23:43 AM »
We might be having an increase in cases, but that's not translating into deaths:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8869279/How-really-ranks-globally-COVID-19.html

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #4071 on: October 23, 2020, 10:59:48 AM »
We might be having an increase in cases, but that's not translating into deaths:

It is translating into hospitalizations, at least in my state. Seems likely that deaths will follow that upward trend.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4072 on: October 23, 2020, 11:41:19 AM »
Regarding hospitalizations I'm having a hard time finding any breakdowns of whether the hospitalizations are for covid-19 or whether they are hospitalizations/infections of folks in for other causes who test positive for covid-19 or both.

I've also heard anecdotal reports of getting tested positive AT A HOSPITAL gets counted as part of the hospitalization rate.

The data is noisy, incomplete and potentially politicized.

My suggestion is to take a good look around you and give what you observe as high or higher weighting than official sources.

I'm not saying believe the Trump administration or the leftists in control of the institutions. I'm saying observe and exercise situational awareness of what is actually occurring.

We already know the official numbers are juiced. I'm not even a mathematician or statistician and it's obvious.

The devil is in the details.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4073 on: October 23, 2020, 11:45:36 AM »
Regarding hospitalizations I'm having a hard time finding any breakdowns of whether the hospitalizations are for covid-19 or whether they are hospitalizations/infections of folks in for other causes who test positive for covid-19.

The data is noisy, incomplete and potentially politicized.

My suggestion is to take a good look around you and give what you observe as high or higher weighting than official sources.

I'm not saying believe the Trump administration or the leftists in control of the institutions, I'm saying observe and exercise situational awareness of what is actually occurring.

We already know the official numbers are juiced. I'm not even a mathematician or statistician and it's obvious.

^This. I remember seeing stories in July about how the local hospital ICU was overflowing, but my sister works in the lab there and said there was one patient in isolation with kung flu. Every one else was there for some other problem that was neglected this spring.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4074 on: October 23, 2020, 02:52:58 PM »
Costco today was pretty well stocked on just about everything. Water was at maybe 70% full, TP at 50% and paper towels at 40%. I didn't see anyone with TP in their carts. About the normal amount of water. I stood by the section where those three items are for a few minutes, and I mostly saw people going for the paper towels.

I did see some people stocking up on dry goods. I even did a little myself, grabbing a case of individual serving powdered mashed potatoes, since potatoes were rare for a while last time. Otherwise I just grabbed meat (there was plenty) and some frozen junk food (pizza, etc.) to fill up the new chest freezer.

I will say that it was a LOT more crowded today than it has been in the last couple of months. I don't know if that's related to local news fear mongering on hoarding or what.